The Student Room Group

Students: Are you enjoying being home for Christmas?

What's it like being back at home now that you've been living independently for 3 months?

Are you enjoying living by your parents rules?

Scroll to see replies

Is this your job?
Yeah I guess but I do get bored for a few hours but it's stress free
Still not finished semester 1 :colonhash: but, although I enjoy uni, I'm looking forward to going home and think it'll be nice :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
What's it like being back at home now that you've been living independently for 3 months?

Are you enjoying living by your parents rules?

No.I need to do a lot of work!
Crap. Parents are lazy, and I can't ****ing work productively here. Gonna ask if I can stay in Cambridge next vacation.
Reply 6
I was excitied at first, but after almost a week at home I can't wait to go back to uni tbh
Home? Pahaha, don't be ridiculous. I break up tomorrow!

Although I won't be going home for Christmas this year (no it is not that serious so don't ask). It has always just been myself and my Mother and we get on swimmingly for the most part.

There are no 'rules' as such in the house, just unwritten ones, like letting each other know when we are leaving the house/coming back and where we are going.

We take it in turns to cook - the one who cooks does not have to do washing up - but `i tend to do it anyway.

Household chores - again, if we see it we just do it. I tend to do things so she doesn't have to because I don't think she should have to do anything! :colondollar:

It's basically like living with someone but independently at the same time if that makes sense.

The only difference in living with my mum vs living on my own/in a houseshare is that I take the clothes down (from the airer / clothes horse) quicker. At home I take it off as soon as it is dry and put it away because I know she hates it standing there for no reason. But when I'm on my own, it stays up for a good while.
Original post by anonwinner
Is this your job?

Yes it is :h:

Original post by Changing Skies
Still not finished semester 1 :colonhash: but, although I enjoy uni, I'm looking forward to going home and think it'll be nice :smile:

Original post by MaseratiJay
Home? Pahaha, don't be ridiculous. I break up tomorrow!

Although I won't be going home for Christmas this year (no it is not that serious so don't ask). It has always just been myself and my Mother and we get on swimmingly for the most part.

There are no 'rules' as such in the house, just unwritten ones, like letting each other know when we are leaving the house/coming back and where we are going.

We take it in turns to cook - the one who cooks does not have to do washing up - but `i tend to do it anyway.

Household chores - again, if we see it we just do it. I tend to do things so she doesn't have to because I don't think she should have to do anything! :colondollar:

It's basically like living with someone but independently at the same time if that makes sense.

The only difference in living with my mum vs living on my own/in a houseshare is that I take the clothes down (from the airer / clothes horse) quicker. At home I take it off as soon as it is dry and put it away because I know she hates it standing there for no reason. But when I'm on my own, it stays up for a good while.

Wow! You guys finish late... I used to finish up around the 12th of December!

MaeratiJay, sounds like you and your Mother have a really lovely relationship.

I used to love going home but there would be times where I found it difficult to adapt back into home-life.... because I had become so used to looking after myself.
Original post by Ndella
I was excitied at first, but after almost a week at home I can't wait to go back to uni tbh

Because you're missing the way of uni life in general? Are all your mates back from uni too?
Original post by She-Ra
Yes it is :h:

Wow! You guys finish late... I used to finish up around the 12th of December!

MaeratiJay, sounds like you and your Mother have a really lovely relationship.

I used to love going home but there would be times where I found it difficult to adapt back into home-life.... because I had become so used to looking after myself.

12th December?! Don't play with my emotions please, I'm fragile :frown: !
When did you used to go back to Uni?

I've just noticed I have classes week commencing 5th January.
Week commencing 12th - exam week. But I only have one (thank the lord)
Week commencing 19th - Semester B starts!

What is this? :O

And yes, we do :smile: I'm her only child and we've always had each other's backs. She's always been there for me, and I'll always appreciate that.:redface:
Reply 11
Original post by She-Ra
Because you're missing the way of uni life in general? Are all your mates back from uni too?

Yes I think I am. I'm so used to doing things for myself with no rules and seeing the same people that coming home has broken the cycle. I feel weird being at home lol, but I guess I have to adjust. Yes they are, but I feel I've made better friends with the ones at uni than my older ones. I miss them alot :frown:
*raises hand*

Still ait Uni until the 23rd!
Original post by Roving Fish
*raises hand*

Still ait Uni until the 23rd!

That's just mean! :console:
Original post by She-Ra
That's just mean! :console:

Coming back on the evening of Boxing day too for an 8am shift :frown:

My Christmas tends to be at the end of January in the gap between SEM1 & SEM2 for my uni (it's a weird term system compared to traditionally finishing at Christmas then coming back to SEM2).

Two weeks off! ^_^
Reply 15
I've only just started at uni and I found my first term really tough, so I'm loving being at home at the moment. I can imagine I might get a bit restless by the end of the vacation, but I can't really see myself dying to go back to uni either. :frown:
Well i'm coming back from a foreign country, feels imma have to get used to people speaking english again
Reply 17
After traveling at the end of the semester it feels good to just relax. I know after 2 weeks I'm going to want to go back, just like last Christmas because I do like to live by my own rules.
I think the thing I miss most is how easy it is to see friends at uni. This year we're all in the city centre and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to walk to any of their houses. At home, my friends all live in different parts of the town and having to rely on public transport/lifts from parents is a bit irritating.

Having said that, I'm loving being at home, especially with it being Christmas! It's lovely to be back with mum, dad & the dogs :smile:
It's nice to be with family although I still have work to do - which I find harder to focus on at home. Plus it's annoying not being completely independent at home. But it's a warm house with a bath and full cupboards so I cant argue against that!

Quick Reply

Latest