The Student Room Group

Being paid a week after I return from Christmas break

I have a problem with my financial situation regarding when I am due to be paid.

I return to uni the week commencing 5th January, and yet I am not to be paid until the week commencing 12th January. The main issue is that I have loan and grant overpayments to be paid by 10th January (I have a payment plan set up). I am worried that I would not be able to cover the due payments, as I am not even expecting Christmas money this year.

The worst thing about this situation is that my boyfriend does not return to his uni until the week commencing 19th January, but he gets his money paid the week that I return to education.

Is there a way that I can have my payment early in order to be able to pay the overpayment as per my plan?
Hi there.

All payment dates are automatically set to the start date of each of the terms associated with your course so normally we cannot change them.

You can request the payment brought forward if you are facing financial hardship and this would need to be done in writing and sending in evidence of hardship, normally 3 months worth of bank statements showing any obligations you may have.

The letter can be directed to:

Discretionary Payments Team
Student Finance England
Memphis Building
Lingfield Point
PO Box 120
Darlington
DL1 1AS

​Thanks.
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

All payment dates are automatically set to the start date of each of the terms associated with your course so normally we cannot change them.

You can request the payment brought forward if you are facing financial hardship and this would need to be done in writing and sending in evidence of hardship, normally 3 months worth of bank statements showing any obligations you may have.

The letter can be directed to:

Discretionary Payments Team
Student Finance England
Memphis Building
Lingfield Point
PO Box 120
Darlington
DL1 1AS

​Thanks.

The issue is that the start date of the term is January 5th, however I do not get said payment until January 12th, so obviously it's not set right. That's the issue I have here.
Hello again,

We have to set the dates as per the information on our database in relation to your specific course.

We will only be able to change this if you can send information to the discretionary payments team.

Thanks
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello again,

We have to set the dates as per the information on our database in relation to your specific course.

We will only be able to change this if you can send information to the discretionary payments team.

Thanks

I know that's all you keep saying, but to me, that sounds a lot like total BS. My boyfriend doesn't start back until the 19th, yet he gets his payments on the 5th.

However, I start back on the week commencing 5th, and yet I don't get my payments until the 12th. So obviously your records are not correct relating to our specific courses. And there's no point in sending off information, because a lot of people I know have had problems with sending information to you, especially in terms of breaching the Data Protection Act.

I just wanted to know why your database is wrong in terms of our start dates. It's obvious that I'm not going to get any help now, so I won't bother anymore.
HI again.

These dates are not set by us. All details of each specific course are uploaded by the provider themselves. If you feel they are wrong and need to be changed, then you need to contact the college/uni at which you study directly. We have no control over this.

Without you sending any information then your payment date will not change.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending