The Student Room Group

A-level Options Help!!

Hi,
I am currently doing my GCSE's and am picking my A-level options. I have already chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I don't know what to pick for my last subject. I was drifting towards Psychology, Geography or DT. Career path wise I think I want to do something in Law or Medicine. I an open to other options that people think would be appropriate for me!
Help!
Zac
For Medicine they're great choices! For your last subject pick whatever you want, enjoy and will get a good grade in!
I'm not too clued up on Law but I know there aren't any necessary A levels but Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all facilitating subjects and I think it would be useful if you had an essay based subject but essentially just pick the A levels you're going to do well in and enjoy and you will be fine! :smile:
Hey! Those are some great options so far :smile: I'm interested in medicine too (or chemistry) and I currently do Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. I think as far as A level options go, you should pick something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you won't be motivated to study it! So if psychology, geography, and DT are the other subjects you enjoy, pick the one you most enjoy (obviously ensure it doesn't clash with any of your other subjects first). Good luck in your GCSEs, and have fun doing A levels! :smile:
Original post by zweeden99
Hi,
I am currently doing my GCSE's and am picking my A-level options. I have already chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I don't know what to pick for my last subject. I was drifting towards Psychology, Geography or DT. Career path wise I think I want to do something in Law or Medicine. I an open to other options that people think would be appropriate for me!
Help!
Zac

They're great for medicine so whatever your third subject is you just need to do well in it, and all those are good choices too! Whilst there are no set choices for law as someone has already said I would suggest that maybe a more essay-based subject might be good to show that you can do them. With this in mind of those three I'd go for geography or psychology, but it's obviously up to you! :smile:

Edit: Also as someone else said, do what you enjoy! You'll be spending a lot of time on it over the next couple of years and the more you are interested in something the more likely you are to want to work at it, and the better you're likely to do :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,
Help!
Zac

Best A levels for medicine:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Fourth facilitating subject

Best A levels for law:

English literature
History
Mathematics
Religious Studies/ Language/ Geography

My point is I think you need to think about you really want to do.

Think about being a lawyer, and then a doctor - which one appeals to you more? I say this because they're two totally different fields of study - and you can;t afford to be contemplating what to do for your entire AS' - as you'll need to go out and get work experience, reading, and doing stuff around what you want to do!

Anyway, great choices nonetheless, best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
I am currently taking Geography, and I am finding it very enjoyable. I'd suggest going for the subject you prefer the most, as you're more likely to do well in it!
Reply 6
Hi,
Help!
Zac

I think for Law (in all seriousness), an argumentative subject is needed, which includes History & English Lit & possibly Geography (but I have no idea what the course is like).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks so much for all your replies- they have been very useful. Im still decided what to do but thank you giving me an insight in my future, and what subjects are best to take!
Zac

Quick Reply

Latest