The Student Room Group

No proper friends, i guess I've just got nothing...

I'm 16 years old, never had a girlfriend, I have got no proper friends, I Just feel really alone to be honest. It's like people don't have the time for me, they just see me and dismiss me. I'm talking all the so-called social groups. I mingle around everybody fine, I can easily talk to everybody its just that i don't feel like their my friends. They would never ask me to do stuff with them, I'm just somebody to talk to when there's nobody else there. It hurts.

In the summer I met this really amazing girl. I was able to talk to her easily and she made me happy. Turns out she had a boyfriend, the worst part was that she wasn't stringing me along, she was just too kind to tell me, that's how I know she was so great for me. I always think back to the first time I saw her and how happy I felt to first talk to her. Since then, I've just had nothing.

I just feel really lonely. I just want one person that makes me happy to be honest. Its hard to find a girl when your not the most confident or the best looking, I mean I'm not ugly, I guess I have to say I'm average looking at least. I don't see what's wrong with my personality. I would do anything for pretty much anyone, its just that people don't have the patience for me. I want to meet a girl, I don't want to sound shallow but she has to look at least average. I don't want loads in my life, I just want to meet girl.

I know what I have written makes barely any sense or has no direction, I just want some replies or something to see what you think.
Reply 1
Sounds like most people's lives at 16.
Reply 2
Maybe you could find friends in school or join clubs?
16 without a relationship should be a good thing tbh, very few relationships formed at the age of 16 last for more than ten years
Original post by shawn_o1
16 without a relationship should be a good thing tbh, very few relationships formed at the age of 16 last for more than ten years

I know what you say, I just feel like I deserve more out of my life. I've tried so hard this year and I've ended with less than what I started with...
To be honest, don't worry about having a girlfriend or looking for a relationship, it comes to you naturally. I've been in your situation before sort of, and I just forgot about those lonely days. And I focus on the future. If your in secondary school you probably won't be in contact with most of the people in your school after you leave for sixth form or uni so there's no worry, life gives you plenty of opportunities to meet new and great people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly sixteen, without trying to sound like I'm patronising you (because I am not)...is nothing! If you were 61 I could understand a little.

If a relationship is the ONLY thing you want and value and are focusing on in life right now then you really need to address that and find something else to work on.

Thirdly, the best time to actually be with someone is when you've found yourself. You say you're not ' the most confident or the best looking' < there we go, the former is something you need to work on. If you don't even believe in yourself why should/how can someone else?

And it's funny further down you should mention 'she has to look at least average'. Anyway...

You need some direction in your life - a job, a hobby, studying. Like seriously.

When you've found yourself do you not think naturally you'll be more attractive to people in general?

OP, who has the more attractive qualities out of these two?:

Guy A: Looking for a girl, the smell of desperation is pouring out of his damn veins. Nothing else going on in life.

or

Guy B: He's not specifically looking for a girlfriend, just having fun with life, taking it as it comes, average amount of friends, some sort of focus i.e work/uni/college.

Just sort your own life out first and everything else will fall into place.

Good Luck OP!
Reply 7
Original post by shawn_o1

Most new relationships these days don't last more than ten years regardless of age tbh
Original post by kaidaniels101
I'm 16 years old, never had a girlfriend, I have got no proper friends, I Just feel really alone to be honest. It's like people don't have the time for me, they just see me and dismiss me. I'm talking all the so-called social groups. I mingle around everybody fine, I can easily talk to everybody its just that i don't feel like their my friends. They would never ask me to do stuff with them, I'm just somebody to talk to when there's nobody else there. It hurts.

In the summer I met this really amazing girl. I was able to talk to her easily and she made me happy. Turns out she had a boyfriend, the worst part was that she wasn't stringing me along, she was just too kind to tell me, that's how I know she was so great for me. I always think back to the first time I saw her and how happy I felt to first talk to her. Since then, I've just had nothing.

I just feel really lonely. I just want one person that makes me happy to be honest. Its hard to find a girl when your not the most confident or the best looking, I mean I'm not ugly, I guess I have to say I'm average looking at least. I don't see what's wrong with my personality. I would do anything for pretty much anyone, its just that people don't have the patience for me. I want to meet a girl, I don't want to sound shallow but she has to look at least average. I don't want loads in my life, I just want to meet girl.

I know what I have written makes barely any sense or has no direction, I just want some replies or something to see what you think.

I understand totally how much you're going through that's why I suggest you should focus on your studies. Friends aren't even needed never they always say they've got your back and then stab you. What's the point of that..I've experienced all this last year until i met my best friend i started talking to her from my business class from then we are like sisters, and my 2 close friends last year didn't want to talk to me they were always trying to avoid me so then i started to keep my circle small with only people who are loyal. I met my boyfriend last year in February time and he used to be soo close to his friends but after September they all used to sit with him but he still felt alone but then on top he realised who his true mates are because they all hated and still hate me and nearly all of them didn't support my boyfriend when he told them he is in an relationship with me. They wernt happy.. Main point: don't worry you're not alone :smile: wait for the right time your love might be on it's way :tongue:
Original post by MaseratiJay
Firstly sixteen, without trying to sound like I'm patronising you (because I am not)...is nothing! If you were 61 I could understand a little.

If a relationship is the ONLY thing you want and value and are focusing on in life right now then you really need to address that and find something else to work on.

Thirdly, the best time to actually be with someone is when you've found yourself. You say you're not ' the most confident or the best looking' < there we go, the former is something you need to work on. If you don't even believe in yourself why should/how can someone else?

And it's funny further down you should mention 'she has to look at least average'. Anyway...

You need some direction in your life - a job, a hobby, studying. Like seriously.

When you've found yourself do you not think naturally you'll be more attractive to people in general?

OP, who has the more attractive qualities out of these two?:

Guy A: Looking for a girl, the smell of desperation is pouring out of his damn veins. Nothing else going on in life.

or

Guy B: He's not specifically looking for a girlfriend, just having fun with life, taking it as it comes, average amount of friends, some sort of focus i.e work/uni/college.

Just sort your own life out first and everything else will fall into place.

Good Luck OP!

I'm gonna be honest here, I over exaggerated quite a bit, I know what job I want when I'm older, I've got my route I want to take in life and I don't go out hunting for girls. Plus, I'd say I am average at least in the looks department. It's just that I want to meet a girl just to be happier in myself. I know that it probably won't work out, but if I know that someone can like me like that I'll feel tonnes better.
Original post by zahraiqbal786
I understand totally how much you're going through that's why I suggest you should focus on your studies. Friends aren't even needed never they always say they've got your back and then stab you. What's the point of that..I've experienced all this last year until i met my best friend i started talking to her from my business class from then we are like sisters, and my 2 close friends last year didn't want to talk to me they were always trying to avoid me so then i started to keep my circle small with only people who are loyal. I met my boyfriend last year in February time and he used to be soo close to his friends but after September they all used to sit with him but he still felt alone but then on top he realised who his true mates are because they all hated and still hate me and nearly all of them didn't support my boyfriend when he told them he is in an relationship with me. They wernt happy.. Main point: don't worry you're not alone :smile: wait for the right time your love might be on it's way :tongue:

I don't know whether it was the fact that you wrote in blue or that what you said is good but its made me happier :smile:
Don't worry :smile: you really don't need a girlfriend! You're only 16.

I'm 21 and I've never had a serious relationship.

You need to focus on yourself and your own happiness before starting a relationship, anyway. A relationship =/= happiness! You sound like you need to build up your self esteem a little.

As for friends, can you try joining a sports team or some form of club outside of school. Volunteering is a great way to meet people as well as build up your confidence :-)

Don't go looking for a girl, OP, just let it happen naturally! :-)
Original post by kaidaniels101

This might be the crux of your problems, the best way to make friends, and especially girlfriends, isn't just to do what everyone else wants you to. People are attracted to confidence, always demand to be seen and treated as equal, see your desires as as important as hers.
I know exactly what you are talking about. When I started high school, I became friends with bullied people and that's how I started being bullied too. Eventually, my friends had to leave and I was alone. I got in a relationship last year and I was extremely happy. It lasted 11 months until he had to go to university. I waited for 3 months to ask him to try a few months long distance until I go to uni this year but he refused last week. These 3 months have been the worst of my life up to this point - school has been EXTREMELY stressful as a senior and I thought a lot about him. I only have one ACTUAL friend in school now but I learned to deal with it. I talk to others but I cannot trust them.

I'm a peer counselor in my school and I would love to listen and help you with anything you go through so please don't hesitate to PM me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending