The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

On that note to OP, Economics is often seen as a blacklisted subject for some too.. so yeah.
Reply 21
bicbiro
Hi! I am currently in year 11, and am looking a level options. I would love to do medicine, but dont know if my gcse results are good enough, and it greatly effects which a level choices i make. I wasnt overly concerned, but several people have said that some of the options I took (buisness studies, IT) were not as good for medical applications as more traditional subjects, and that my low english and IT grades would disadvantage me. I know that I meet most of the minimum grades, but do I stand a realistic chance? Should I ignore what those people have said, or reconsider my a level choices?Hope I posted this in the right place - wasnt sure if it should be in the GCSE section or the medicine section. Thanx in advance :smile:

The GCSE's I am taking and predicted grades are:

English lit. - B
English lan. - B
Triple Science - A A* A*
Maths - A*
Statistics - A
French - A*
Latin - A*
Buisness studies - A
I.T - B
Short course Philosophy and Ethics - A*

Check the WIKI
Spacecam...you're at Manchester for medicine i see :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Can I ask you a question, as you will probably know more about this as you have gone "through the system".

Im a resit applicant ( with ext. circs) and I 100% want to do med, but I think its prudent to have 5th/6th choices on the dreaded UCAS form.
What is your opinion on this?

Also, I dont want to apply for Biomed Sci, because a lot of people apply for this, I want to be original ..lol :cool:...So I was thinking of Molecular Genetics or neuroscience?

Many reagards,
saz.
Don't worry. You've still got a year to improve and lots of people peak during the middle of fifth form(performance-wise). Nearly everyone in my school exceeded their predicted grades. Personally, I'd start working for the GCSEs, wait and see what happens.
Reply 24
*Sighs* ANOTHER thread like this...

FFS - ring up the unis, look at the perspectuses and use the TSR WIKI to find out the answer. If you aren't even self motivated enough to find out the entry requirements then you shouldn't even be thinking about medicine
Reply 25
marshmallow_mayhem
lots of people peak during the middle of fifth form(performance-wise).

I peaked in year 9 lol, that was a great year! From then its all been downhill...
Reply 26
Philosoraptor
On that note to OP, Economics is often seen as a blacklisted subject for some too.. so yeah.

No it isn't. I defy you to find a single list with economics as a blacklisted subject.
Sorry bad wording, it's not on the "approved" list sometimes.
Spacecam
*Sighs* ANOTHER thread like this...

FFS - ring up the unis, look at the perspectuses and use the TSR WIKI to find out the answer. If you aren't even self motivated enough to find out the entry requirements then you shouldn't even be thinking about medicine

I have spoken to admissions departments, done much googling, and have several prospectuses- I know that my GCSE's meet most uni's entrance requirements. I posted on here because I wanted to know if I stood a realistic chance- I found it very hard to get a straight answer from admissions departments on that.I think it was quite obvious from the title of the thread that this would be yet another thread asking about grades, and i did apologise for that...if you hate these so much, then why did you feel the need to click on the link???
Reply 29
sorry...post above was mine, my sister was on 'remeber me', and i forgot to sign into my own account
Reply 30
You make an excellent point, if people get so jarred off with such threads, dont click on the link! Its simple people.

Anyway I think your GCSES and grades are fine for medicine. Although doing 6 AS levels is crazy!
Reply 31
I see the convenient and freely customisable, 'if ______ then you shouldn't even be thinking about medicine' lines used again. Adapted to every situation where a medic wants to criticise a non-medic. One comment or question ('how much money does a doctor make?') quickly leads to a comment on their unsuitability for medicine. Thats not right.

Well, I can say this, the last time I checked, a medic showing empathy was quite important too,... If I had 6 A*s and I had Bs, I would also be unsure about meeting the minimum requirements of entering medical schools such as Birmingham, never mind getting into them. If this was a 10A* with a B or something then that would be wasting time.

And anyway, answering questions is completely optional.
Reply 32
Hi mate, I think you're GCSE's will be fine, and if in an application in addition to a good set of A2 predictions then I think it's the interview you should start worrying about!!
I posted on here because I wanted to know if I stood a realistic chance

How would people on this forum know? I doubt anyone here is an admissions tutor, the only advice we can give is on our own experiences and from others who have gone before...its up to you to collate that experience and make your own informed decision from it :wink:

Remember, TSR is not the Gospel!!
Reply 34
Vazzyb
I see the convenient and freely customisable, 'if ______ then you shouldn't even be thinking about medicine' lines used again. Adapted to every situation where a medic wants to criticise a non-medic. One comment or question ('how much money does a doctor make?') quickly leads to a comment on their unsuitability for medicine. Thats not right.

Well, I can say this, the last time I checked, a medic showing empathy was quite important too,... If I had 6 A*s and I had Bs, I would also be unsure about meeting the minimum requirements of entering medical schools such as Birmingham, never mind getting into them. If this was a 10A* with a B or something then that would be wasting time.

And anyway, answering questions is completely optional.

So are you a medic, or are you just jelous and can't see things from other people's perspective?
Reply 35
bicbiro
Hi! I am currently in year 11, and am looking a level options. I would love to do medicine, but dont know if my gcse results are good enough, and it greatly effects which a level choices i make. I wasnt overly concerned, but several people have said that some of the options I took (buisness studies, IT) were not as good for medical applications as more traditional subjects, and that my low english and IT grades would disadvantage me. I know that I meet most of the minimum grades, but do I stand a realistic chance? Should I ignore what those people have said, or reconsider my a level choices?Hope I posted this in the right place - wasnt sure if it should be in the GCSE section or the medicine section. Thanx in advance :smile:
The GCSE's I am taking and predicted grades are:

English lit. - B
English lan. - B
Triple Science - A A* A*
Maths - A*
Statistics - A
French - A*
Latin - A*
Buisness studies - A
I.T - B
Short course Philosophy and Ethics - A*

looks good to me.
mind you, you need to have a good overall character (eg experience, grades, extra curriculur stuff etc), so its not just the grades you need to worry about.
Reply 36
Thanx for the feedback! I thought the IT and Buisness studies thing only really applied at A level, but just wanted to make sure. Oh and excalibur I am looking to take biology, chemistry, maths, economics, french, and possibly further maths, but completly sure on the last three yet.

Not worth taking 6 AS...even Cambridge are discouraging applicants from taking huge numbers of AS/A2.

Chemistry is essential, Biology too and Maths is useful-and taking Further Maths if you are good at it is ok but several universities now are picky about counting maths+further maths as 2. Then pick an academic subject you are good at and can get a safe A. You offer(s) are likely to range from AAAa to AAB.

So 4-4 1/2 AS is fine....you need the time to do all the voluntary work at local hospitals/old folk homes/shadowing GPs etc!

YOU NEED THIS and YOU SHOULD START THIS SUMMER straight after your gcses.

You will be writing your Personal Statement (PS) at the end of year 12 ready to post at the start of Year 13 (it has to be in by mid october) and you need the CV goodies for it. They are just as important as your A levels and you will find it tough to get into med school without proven commitment.

Your gcse predictions are fine. Stop worrying about them-get the grades and get those holiday jobs sorted! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending