The Student Room Group

English literature ocr coursework as level

I really really want to get an A in my english lit coursework, I have to write a comparative essay on Regeneration by Pat Barker and Journeys End by Rc sherriff.I have chosen to speak about masculinity and how these two text use it, they are both war based as well. Can anyone help me of how the structure of the essay should be (btw the exam board is OCR and Alevel)
Please can anyone help, im so desperate!!:frown::frown:
Some basic tips for english lit:

The question and choice of texts are definitely important. The text you choose should be something you like, or at least find interesting enough to thoroughly analyse it.

Don't choose a really abstract question, just keep it simple as it will be easier to keep your essay focussed.

Be concise, if you can say the same thing in less words then do so. When editing be really aware of this.

Every point you make back it up, give evidence of your argument. You can use critics opinions or quotes from the text to do this (for example, A. C. Bradley is good for Shakespeare's tragedies).

In your introduction include your thesis statement and milestones which mark out what you will be discussing or arguing.

You need to get some context of the text in, so who wrote it, when, what was it like then (as in if you're looking at the role of women in a victorian novel talk about how women had little rights etc.)

Conclusion; don't put any new information in this, simply summarise your points, reiterate your argument and don't use the generic "in conclusion" or similar phrases.

Plan thoroughly so you have a nice structure. Ending one paragraph with a point that can lead you onto the next text (which you'll discuss in the next paragraph) creates a nice flow.

Finally; language, form and structure need to be addressed, they ask for this in the question if i remember correctly.

There's no acronym formula that I know about, what I've written may seem a little bit overwhelming if you've never done anything like it but it's a way of writing that quickly becomes second nature. This worked for me at my A levels anyway.

also if you read these you'll get some ideas of what OCR is looking for, or look at the past mark schemes for the work/talk to your teacher.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/70664-specification.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending