The Student Room Group

A-level options help

I want to do a carer in medicine/neuropsychology or something similar and i've chosen my Alevels as chemistry, biology, psychology and combined english. However I'm wavering in opinion in picking psychology and english because i have anxiety issues about mental health and stuff and studying psychology might trigger them. For english, im studying combined english As now and im not liking it because my teacher is constantly ill and is off for long periods of time so i might drop it because ive lost the passion for it. just dont know whether to persevere with the options or choose different ones.. advice please
Original post by Loyale
I want to do a carer in medicine/neuropsychology or something similar and i've chosen my Alevels as chemistry, biology, psychology and combined english. However I'm wavering in opinion in picking psychology and english because i have anxiety issues about mental health and stuff and studying psychology might trigger them. For english, im studying combined english As now and im not liking it because my teacher is constantly ill and is off for long periods of time so i might drop it because ive lost the passion for it. just dont know whether to persevere with the options or choose different ones.. advice please

First of all, if you have anxiety issues about Mental Health to the point where you think you'd struggle studying A-Level Psychology, I don't really understand how you expect to cope in Medicine or neuropsychology, in both of which you'll quite possibly be dealing with mental health issues on a day to day basis. With the best will in the world, if you can't get over that anxiety then a career in healthcare is not for you. That sounds a little crude and please don't be offended - I have anxiety issues myself - but you can't go into a career if you're not able to cope with the requirements that career entails, and dealing with mental health issues will be a requirement to some extent for virtually all healthcare professions.

What year are you in?
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
First of all, if you have anxiety issues about Mental Health to the point where you think you'd struggle studying A-Level Psychology, I don't really understand how you expect to cope in Medicine or neuropsychology, in both of which you'll quite possibly be dealing with mental health issues on a day to day basis. With the best will in the world, if you can't get over that anxiety then a career in healthcare is not for you. That sounds a little crude and please don't be offended - I have anxiety issues myself - but you can't go into a career if you're not able to cope with the requirements that career entails, and dealing with mental health issues will be a requirement to some extent for virtually all healthcare professions.

What year are you in?

Year 11

Quick Reply

Latest