The Student Room Group

Being ill for uni exams?

Ok so, I'm back to uni next week and I've just been diagnosed with glandular fever, I know it'll probably be different for different unis, but does anyone know what the procedure is for illness and exams?
Ive heard my lecturer briefly mention that it's possible to take the exam in the summer term if your too ill this term for it, but I don't know what counts as being 'too ill'?

I do feel unwell and just really tired, so it's making it really difficult to revise, and get out of bed in general.
If it helps I'm at leicester uni.. I would ask them but I'm unsure if they office is even open right now as we don't go back until next week and my exams on Monday.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so what did they do?

Thanks guys:smile:
My cousin is at Portsmouth and came down with glandular fever in the first few weeks of term. It wasn't during exams but she was off and in hospital for a week or two, and hasn't seemed to have had any problems with uni. The best thing to do is contact your tutor/whoever organises exams and see what they say. I know glandular fever knocks you out for quite a while, and I would imagine there would be something in place for such illnesses.
Original post by magicalwishes
Ok so, I'm back to uni next week and I've just been diagnosed with glandular fever, I know it'll probably be different for different unis, but does anyone know what the procedure is for illness and exams?
Ive heard my lecturer briefly mention that it's possible to take the exam in the summer term if your too ill this term for it, but I don't know what counts as being 'too ill'?

I do feel unwell and just really tired, so it's making it really difficult to revise, and get out of bed in general.
If it helps I'm at leicester uni.. I would ask them but I'm unsure if they office is even open right now as we don't go back until next week and my exams on Monday.

Do you have a personal tutor? The best thing you could do is to get in touch with them and ask about the procedure. When I was at uni, we were told that if we were ill we should let them know - because if we come to the exam there's nothing we can do about it, we have to take our grade even if it's rubbish, whereas if you let them know in advance they may be able to do something about it.

Your uni might be different, but this is how it would have gone at mine.
Reply 3
Uni Admin offices will have been open from last Monday - they don't keep to student term terms. Contact them asap.

Most will allow you some kind of extenuating circumstances, but as you say, it will depend on the uni. At mine, if you were too ill to take the exam at all, you would normally be allowed to take them for the first time during the resit period. If you were well enough to sit the exam but had an illness likely to affect your performance, then you would be given additional marks to compensate for whatever the uni thinks your shortfall might be as a result. Both of these will require a doctor's note as proof, so get back to your GP pronto and ask for one.

Your office will probably be open by now, so contact them. Your personal tutor will probably also be replying to emails by now.

You will probably need a doctor's note to say you aren't fit to take the exam, so I would organise a doctor's appointment ASAP and explain the situation. I agree that if you have glandular fever, you won't perform at you best.

Like you say every university runs slightly differently. At Aston we have a procedure called exceptional circumstances for if you are unable to attend an exam, Leicster will most likely have a similar procedure, you will have to fill out a form for the exams you have missed and then give supporting evidence, such as a doctors letter. I would get in touch with your University ASAP and inform them of your condition. Odds are if our staff are back now yours will be too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending