The Student Room Group

Is deferring my graduation a good idea?

I am one of the many students affected by the UCU strike. Amongst the people being awarded with my degree, there are about 20 of us and I am one of 3 whose work has not been marked in its entirety.

We have not received transcripts back but from previous trends (unmarked coursework), I know that one of my modules has likely not been marked at all and at least 3 of them, the exam itself has not been marked. I have 8 modules in total so that's half of my modules unmarked. I'm also in the process of applying for exceptional circumstances for one piece of work that I was unable to submit on time due to severe illness. The evidence for that has been submitted so I'm not too worried about that.

My university has said I have enough modules completed to graduate which basically means if I have completed second year and at least some of final year I can graduate. I have a pretty bad illness so my second year was a struggle but this year was so much better grades wise.

Apparently all of my work will get marked but it can only happen next year.

My uni is very far away from my home and I don't want to make my family drive all the way there for a mark that I'm not sure is reflective of all of my work. Especially since they won't release the transcripts until next week, a week before graduation itself.

I would prefer deferring, especially since I'm basically taking a year off of sorts (I will still be working but flexible jobs, avoiding a fixed career), so I won't need my award just yet.

I'd still like to attend graduation etc but I'm just a bit stressed about the situation.

Is there any signigicant difference in outcome if I defer graduation to next year or if I receive my award in absentia?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending