Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
nail biting.
glowstix
nail biting.

:ditto: I have no nails left!
So... I count... 4 maths applicants for Emma 2008? Considering they usually get 40-50... insufficient representation at TSR!
Reply 384
Hi, first of all good luck to everyone waiting to find out if they're in, not long to go now :smile:

I'm thinking that (assuming my AS's go well) I might apply to Emma for law '09 :smile: I was just wondering if any current students would be able to tell me how Emmanuel feels about self-catering. I've done some research and I know gyp rooms would be fairly basic, but what is the likelihood of getting a microwave and or small hob in the closest gyp room? Is it really frowned on to self-cater? I understand I wouldn't be able to self-cater totally, but I would like the option to self-cater a little.. Any thoughts as to how easy/hard that might be?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 385
Where I was staying for my interview, there was a microwave in the gyp room, a kettle, toaster, fridge possibly. No hob or anything...
Mini fridge in the rooms.
yes that's exactly how i found it too during my interview... are there no self-catering facilities in Emma? like i mean a shared kitchen or something
That's what they say in the prospectus.
There are some gyp rooms in college with hobs, but they are few and far between.

In second year you live in outside accommodation. I lived in Blantyre house where there was no shortage of hobs.
So... any international applicants had the courage to phone or even email Emmanuel for the decision?
no, I haven't. But that's because I think I will get the mail tomorrow. It usually only takes two days for mail to go from england to sweden
if u hav fax number they can fax it to you just email them you fax number and they'll try and fax u that letter
They say they will fax, but the instruction has to come in writing, which I presume to mean post or fax, rather than email. Also, they say they can only fax starting January 7, by which time it would probably arrive within a few days, even for internationals.
Zhen Lin
They say they will fax, but the instruction has to come in writing, which I presume to mean post or fax, rather than email. Also, they say they can only fax starting January 7, by which time it would probably arrive within a few days, even for internationals.

where did u c dat?
i dunno but i still repeat a letter from Bath dated 14th november arrived 21 december. so i think even then it'll be faster to have fax for me in Spain. :biggrin:
It was on the application flowchart. Clearly that is not the case now - I will write to them now!
Come on people of Emma (prospective or current)- the other colleges are putting you/us (not sure if I count yet!) to shame, what with all their interesting convos/ pointless procrastination!

I say a fightback is necessary :smile:

So, anyone already at Emma want to elaborate on the life of a scientist/ medic for me? I have looked around but found about a million (slight exaggeration) different accounts of the number of lectures/practicals/supervisions etc, including discrepancies between the official Cambridge prospectus/official Emma prospectus/alternative Emma prospectus etc...

Also, what are medics generally doing with their third year? I just want to get a flavour of the options so I'd be grateful for any answers :biggrin: Thank you!

And of course, well done to all offer holders, hang in there for all poolees and commiserations to anyone who was rejected ;grouphugs;
Danielle2137

So, anyone already at Emma want to elaborate on the life of a scientist/ medic for me? I have looked around but found about a million (slight exaggeration) different accounts of the number of lectures/practicals/supervisions etc, including discrepancies between the official Cambridge prospectus/official Emma prospectus/alternative Emma prospectus etc...

Also, what are medics generally doing with their third year? I just want to get a flavour of the options so I'd be grateful for any answers :biggrin: Thank you!

Hi Danielle, I'm a 3rd year medic at Emmanuel.

Medicine at Emma is great fun. I'm doing part II pharmacology this year which I enjoy, although as with all part II subjects there is lots and lots of reading involved.

Anyway, the life of a first year medic.

You study the following:
Anatomy - 2 lectures a week, 2 x 2hour dissections sessions a week, 1 x 2 hour procedures ssession every 2 weeks
Physiology - 3 lectures a week, 1 x 2 hours of histology every 2 weeks, 1 x 2 hour experimental physiology every week
Biochemistry - 3 lectures a week, 1 practical class taking up a day every term, 1 PBL session a term
Medical Sociology - 1 lecture a week in Michaelmas, exam in Lent
ISBM - 1 lecture a week, exam in Lent
PfP - Preparing for patients - 2 visits to a GPs surgery, then you write a report

Supervisions:
You will generally get 1 supervision a week in physiology, biochemistry, and anatomy (anatomy supervisions were 2 hours long in my year).
You are often set essays or work to do for supervisions.

Second year is slightly more intense.

Have a look here for some basic cell biology which you should know before coming: http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol/mvst/mvst1a/cellbiol.html

Any questions about Emma / Medicine at Cambridge, feel free to PM.

Oh and congratulations on your offer :smile:
Werlop, you are a star! Thank you for bothering to type all of that out- I know many people wouldn't bother! That's exactly the kind of spirit that made me want to go to Emma in the first place :smile:

At the moment I think I'm (still) too stunned to have any more questions, but I'm sure I'll think of things later so thanks for the offer of help :biggrin:
I'm in for maths - see you in October guys!
Likewise. STEP-pending that is.

Latest

Trending

Trending