The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eVeNtInE
Just got the post! Rejection unfortunately, but twas a nice experience. :smile:

Oh no :hugs: I wish you the best of luck for your applications elsewhere. Would you reapply? Where else did you apply to?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Light enough envelope, applied for Law. I've also applied for UCL and KCL over in England, but I think I'm gonna stick with the Irish colleges now due to the whole fee increase over on your side of the pond. :smile:
Reply 1182
Original post by Zhen Lin
Was that Prof. Pringle's office?

It was! It brought me deep, deep joy. (I also love his name. I really, really do. If I get an offer, I am so tempted to anonymously leave a tube of Pringles outside his office every now and then.)

Original post by cpdavis
With what you said about not being like OMG, how do I start this, I think there were a couple of parts that I saw, but I have never seen in my life. But they gave me a couple of facts and using this I was able to solve the problem which they gave, and they seemed happy.

I think that is true, since we both have AS, they could possibly give both of us offers! I was trying to find you on the TSR to ask how your interview went, but couldn't and now I have :biggrin: I really want to meet you! :grin:

Congrats so much on your offer! I really want to meet you too! I mean, I imagine there's more maths people with AS than there are other people with AS, proportionally (that sentence was really badly worded, I do apologise) but still, we have to be a minority :biggrin: Fingers crossed for my letter then. What's your offer?

My postman just came AND BROUGHT NO NEWS FROM CAMBRIDGE. Is anyone else in this situation? Should I ring them up? Would that be creepy?
Original post by kerily
It was! It brought me deep, deep joy. (I also love his name. I really, really do. If I get an offer, I am so tempted to anonymously leave a tube of Pringles outside his office every now and then.)

Congrats so much on your offer! I really want to meet you too! I mean, I imagine there's more maths people with AS than there are other people with AS, proportionally (that sentence was really badly worded, I do apologise) but still, we have to be a minority :biggrin: Fingers crossed for my letter then. What's your offer?

My postman just came AND BROUGHT NO NEWS FROM CAMBRIDGE. Is anyone else in this situation? Should I ring them up? Would that be creepy?

Thanks! I tried ringing and it went to voice mail every time. So I emailed them yesterday about 2, and they got back to be this morning with the letter. I was so scared as I wasn't expecting it at all!

Let me know what happens!! :biggrin:
Reply 1184
Original post by cpdavis
Thanks! I tried ringing and it went to voice mail every time. So I emailed them yesterday about 2, and they got back to be this morning with the letter. I was so scared as I wasn't expecting it at all!

Let me know what happens!! :biggrin:

I'm actually thinking that I'll email them now! Who exactly do we email - Lesley Shaw? (I've emailed her so much that I feel like I'm a personal friend :tongue:)
Original post by kerily
I'm actually thinking that I'll email them now! Who exactly do we email - Lesley Shaw? (I've emailed her so much that I feel like I'm a personal friend :tongue:)

Thats the one! I have emailed her so much I have her on my contact list! good luck!!!
Reply 1186
Original post by cpdavis
Thats the one! I have emailed her so much I have her on my contact list! good luck!!!

She's my new best friend... unless she emails me back with a rejection :cool:

I emailed her and got their standard out of office message. Oh well; hopefully I'll hear something soon! (It's really awful that they posted them first-class on the 5th, and they haven't got here two days later. I hate living in a town in the middle of nowhere :tongue:)
Reply 1187
adebayor
She seems to be working on them (Lesley Shaw on the emails that is) as we speak - I just got mine. Took me a few minutes to work up the courage to open it. First thing I saw were the conditions - such relief! Congrats to everybody who got an offer, good luck to people yet to hear or pooled applicants!
Original post by a daedalus
She seems to be working on them (Lesley Shaw on the emails that is) as we speak - I just got mine. Took me a few minutes to work up the courage to open it. First thing I saw were the conditions - such relief! Congrats to everybody who got an offer, good luck to people yet to hear or pooled applicants!

Congrats. :biggrin:
When did you send your email? :smile:
Is it a letter scan or just a typed email?
Original post by Kiiroitori
Congrats. :biggrin:
When did you send your email? :smile:
Is it a letter scan or just a typed email?

Thanks! It was a typed email, sent by the lovely Lesley Shaw, signed by Dr N J White, Admissions Tutor for Arts. Leads me to suspect that they group their departments and admissions tutors in specific subjects send their decisions upwards in the hierarchy, which in turn get passed on to the general correspondent (Shaw) and whoever is in her office, who I suppose are responsible for all letters/emails/phone calls. Hence the delays, probably? I sent my email on the 5th, and the automated reply I got said they'd start sending emails to internationals on the 7th, which is exactly what happened :tongue:.
Thanks! It was a typed email, sent by the lovely Lesley Shaw, signed by Dr N J White, Admissions Tutor for Arts. Leads me to suspect that they group their departments and admissions tutors in specific subjects send their decisions upwards in the hierarchy, which in turn get passed on to the general correspondent (Shaw) and whoever is in her office, who I suppose are responsible for all letters/emails/phone calls. Hence the delays, probably? I sent my email on the 5th, and the automated reply I got said they'd start sending emails to internationals on the 7th, which is exactly what happened :tongue:.

Awesome. What did you apply for?
I applied for Engineering - Waiting is so agonising! (And so is replaying the rather.... subpar interview scenes in my head) D:
Although I only sent my email this morning. :P
Awesome. What did you apply for?
I applied for Engineering - Waiting is so agonising! (And so is replaying the rather.... subpar interview scenes in my head) D:
Although I only sent my email this morning. :P

English. Kept replaying the worst parts of my second (worse) interview as well haha. So amazed they gave me the offer.

Congrats on the offer!!! :biggrin:
I applied to Emmanuel for MML and am yet to receive the letter! The post seems to be running as usual though so not sure what's going on :/ Do you reckon I should email Lesley Shaw, or shall I just wait until the post comes tomorrow?
P.S. I'm not an international student
English. Kept replaying the worst parts of my second (worse) interview as well haha. So amazed they gave me the offer.

Congratulations!! I'm applying for English too. Eek, emailed Lesley about an hour ago, nothing yet. The stress is slowly killing me.
Original post by flygirl99
Congratulations!! I'm applying for English too. Eek, emailed Lesley about an hour ago, nothing yet. The stress is slowly killing me.

The waiting really sucks. :frown:
I hope the mistakes I made during the interview weren't terribly bad - I felt like I had too much prompting. :s-smilie:
Hope Lesley replies soon - I needa sleep.
And I haven't even started revising for Jan exams either. DDDD:
The waiting really sucks. :frown:
I hope the mistakes I made during the interview weren't terribly bad - I felt like I had too much prompting. :s-smilie:
Hope Lesley replies soon - I needa sleep.
And I haven't even started revising for Jan exams either. DDDD:

What did you apply for? I know - my interviewers were so nice, whenever I said something stupid they nodded really sympathetically. The overwhelming word to describe the interview would be 'pitying'. Oh well, I just want to know. When did you email Lesley?
What did you apply for? I know - my interviewers were so nice, whenever I said something stupid they nodded really sympathetically. The overwhelming word to describe the interview would be 'pitying'. Oh well, I just want to know. When did you email Lesley?

Chem Eng (via Engineering)
My interviewers corrected me or asked me to think again. Three of them were really nice. :smile:
But the really bad bit was that on my prepared topic, I said that nuclear energy was renewable.
And then one of the interviewers just.... went "YOU THINK NUCLEAR ENERGY IS RENEWABLE"
And I tried to defend myself by giving examples... although I didn't articulate it that well. :s-smilie:
I emailed Lesley at around... 7-8am this morning. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Yeah one of my interviews was like that a bit at times. I would ask them to specify something because I didn't understand it and I'd sort of fluff about it and I could feel I wasn't giving them what they were looking for, and the other interviewer kept interjecting to help me out when I needed it.. Painful because I could sense my inadequacy, and they were so nice about it. But I got an offer in the end - shows you can't judge by how you feel post-interview!

Latest

Trending

Trending