The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Boston to London for LSE open day. Is it worth it?

Greetings from across the pond

Currently, I am attending high school in America (precisely Boston). I don't have any ties with the UK or anything like that, but I am thinking about applying to colleges in England, such as LSE, UCL, or KCL.

The sad thing is that, not much people around me knows about British schools. Non of my parents studied in the UK and the only person who actually went to school in the UK (full time student, not as a exchange student etc...) is my math teacher (Cambridge), but she's old now and information she has is quite outdated (that's what she said)

I indeed was able to get some information online, but I really think I should visit LSE before I apply. Thus I'm planning to visit LSE on open day if I can.

But the problem here is that plane ticket to London is mad expensive and I will have to miss two days of school in March.

So here is the question that's really in my mind: Is LSE Open day on March worth visiting? And how was your experience?
Obviously if I decide to go, then I'll be spending a lot of money for flight and accmondation at London, but still if visiting LSE on open day helps, then I will surely visit.

And for those who attended LSE Open day, how did your day go? Can you tell me more detailed information (like schedule...etc...)?

Thanks in advance

p.s.) Excuse my poor English. I grew up in a non-English speaking country.
Reply 1
Original post by Boston-London
Greetings from across the pond

Currently, I am attending high school in America (precisely Boston). I don't have any ties with the UK or anything like that, but I am thinking about applying to colleges in England, such as LSE, UCL, or KCL.

The sad thing is that, not much people around me knows about British schools. Non of my parents studied in the UK and the only person who actually went to school in the UK (full time student, not as a exchange student etc...) is my math teacher (Cambridge), but she's old now and information she has is quite outdated (that's what she said)

I indeed was able to get some information online, but I really think I should visit LSE before I apply. Thus I'm planning to visit LSE on open day if I can.

But the problem here is that plane ticket to London is mad expensive and I will have to miss two days of school in March.

So here is the question that's really in my mind: Is LSE Open day on March worth visiting? And how was your experience?
Obviously if I decide to go, then I'll be spending a lot of money for flight and accmondation at London, but still if visiting LSE on open day helps, then I will surely visit.

And for those who attended LSE Open day, how did your day go? Can you tell me more detailed information (like schedule...etc...)?

Thanks in advance

p.s.) Excuse my poor English. I grew up in a non-English speaking country.

Hi, I'm an American student that applied to LSE (I'm still waiting for a reply) and I got the chance to visit the university over the summer since I was on vacation in London with my family. Firstly, have you applied yet? The application deadline is in exactly a week. Seeing as the plane tickets will be very expensive, I would only visit LSE for the open day in March if you receive an offer from them, otherwise it would be a waste of money. Also, if you have any questions about the application process don't hesitate to PM me! Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
LSE is definitely worth visiting. Even though I'm a Londoner visiting LSE (open day, student shadowing etc) was great :-)

The campus vibe is very London but it's also quite social sciency so you have to decide whether it's a place where you want to spend the next 3 years of your life. It's probably a bit late now as the deadline is 15/01/15 but good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aly418
LSE is definitely worth visiting. Even though I'm a Londoner visiting LSE (open day, student shadowing etc) was great :-)

The campus vibe is very London but it's also quite social sciency so you have to decide whether it's a place where you want to spend the next 3 years of your life. It's probably a bit late now as the deadline is 15/01/15 but good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all, thank you for your answer

I have made my decision to visit LSE on March (even though I will have to miss two days of school). In fact, I just purchased my plane ticket to London. :smile:
And btw I am not a senior, but a junior (graduates in 2016) so I think it will be a great opportunity for me to visit a college before I apply (which I'm very sure that I would)

Thx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending