The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to three Russel groups for law?

I am applying do an llb in 2024 and I am predicted a*aa and achieved D998887776 at gcse but I have no clue how my LNAT went.

I was going to apply to ucl, lse and kings but I don’t know if it’s worth taking up 3 spaces for unis with such low acceptance rates. After reading on how nearly impossible it is to get into Lse I don’t know if it’s even worth applying to or whether I’d be best cutting out maybe kings and leaving ucl and lse but again lse are extremely competitive so is there even a point or should I replace one of them with a still prestigious option but maybe one that isn’t so competitive . My back up options are City and university of law. Any advise would be much appreciated thank you.
Reply 1
Are you fixed on living in London? Your issue is not applying to three Russell group - it’s that you are applying to three particularly competitive ones.

I’d knock off the uni of law for a start - I’m sure you could get a place in clearing if you wanted to.
Law in top London universities is very competitive due to the numbers applying there. Whether it is worth you taking that risk only you can decide. Personally I think you should restrict yourself to 2 choices and you could get 2 offers or 2 rejections and we cant tell that.

It is wise to look at a couple of non LNAT choices but the better universities will be outside of London. It is mainly top London universities that require LNAT plus a few others like Oxbridge and Bristol.
I applied to five Russell Group unis (Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol, and Cardiff) and got offers from all 5 and I had the same a level predicted grades as you. Apply for all 5 unis you mentioned, you have a fairly good chance of getting in, and even if you don't get an offer, nothing is lost by applying
Reply 4
Original post by Username123ab
I applied to five Russell Group unis (Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol, and Cardiff) and got offers from all 5 and I had the same a level predicted grades as you. Apply for all 5 unis you mentioned, you have a fairly good chance of getting in, and even if you don't get an offer, nothing is lost by applying

hi do you know what your lnat score was, if you don't mind sharing, i'm reapplying to uni this year after getting better grades in my a-levels than predicted, i achieved a*aa as well but i'm stressed about where to apply since i know how competitive law is especially for the london unis and i do want to apply there. do you have any tips for your personal statement as well that could help with mine because i feel like even with a*aa thats the bare minimum compared to all the competition so i want to make it rly good
Original post by pearlv
hi do you know what your lnat score was, if you don't mind sharing, i'm reapplying to uni this year after getting better grades in my a-levels than predicted, i achieved a*aa as well but i'm stressed about where to apply since i know how competitive law is especially for the london unis and i do want to apply there. do you have any tips for your personal statement as well that could help with mine because i feel like even with a*aa thats the bare minimum compared to all the competition so i want to make it rly good

I got 27 on the LNAT, and for my personal statement I just made it mainly academic and spoke about books I'd read off the uni's reading list and I did an online open university course on EU law. Unis are looking for supercurriculars (extra stuff that's directly related to your subject) rather than extracurriculars (like D of E and stuff)
Original post by Username123ab

hey im really struggling with my personal statement, i dont have any work experience and i feel hopeless
Original post by estella135
hey im really struggling with my personal statement, i dont have any work experience and i feel hopeless

I didn't have work experience either, most unis aren't really expecting it as they understand how difficult it would be for an a level student to get work experience relevant to their ultimate career goal. I just wrote about books I had read, an Open University thing I had done online (have a look if there's any relevant to your course, the one I did was on Eu law and only took a few hours to do online, they I just wrote about it in a way that made it seem more impressive than it was lol), and a translation competition I had entered (because I do law with French law). You can also write about any awards you've got within your school (like being given performance awards in the subject you want to study). Or you could look at tutoring GCSE students which would count as work experience in a way. Good luck with your personal statement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending