The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge - Post A-level?

Hi I'm currently an A level student applying for Law 2015 entry. I wanted to see whether I have a successful chance of applying and gaining a place at Cambridge. I understand this thread gets these a lot so I apologise in advance if this comes across as tacky.

I got rejected for Law at Oxford pre- interview despite me receiving 4 A grades at AS level. The reason behind this as I believe was due to my GCSEs, as they are very bad largely in part to circumstances mentioned on my teachers reference. However, even with these Mitigating Circumstances and good AS results, I was still not offered an interview which I found very disappointing as one of my strengths would have been the interview. However, I have received offers from other top 5 Universities.

If I were to achieve A*A*A or A*A*AA of which I believe I am capable of attaining (of course this is easier said) - I am wondering whether this would make a competitive application to Cambridge, and also allow me to receive an interview. I understand that many people have success gaining entry on their second attempt, although I have not applied a first time.

I was considering taking a gap year. But I feel this gap year would be entirely dedicated to seeing the outcome of my application, which is a big risk given that I am not aware of my chances of receiving an offer. In addition, I am not sure whether the Universities would accept me on the second time round or whether they would be annoyed I did not accept initially.

For anyone who has been in a similar position, or has an informed opinion on this I would appreciate all advice. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Acidy
x

It's much more likely that you were rejected because your LNAT score wasn't high enough. You can request feedback on your application, which might clarify things.

Withdrawing your UCAS application and reapplying next year is probably not worth it if you have offers from other top 5 universities that you would be happy to take up.
Original post by Acidy
Hi I'm currently an A level student applying for Law 2015 entry. I wanted to see whether I have a successful chance of applying and gaining a place at Cambridge. I understand this thread gets these a lot so I apologise in advance if this comes across as tacky.

I got rejected for Law at Oxford pre- interview despite me receiving 4 A grades at AS level. The reason behind this as I believe was due to my GCSEs, as they are very bad largely in part to circumstances mentioned on my teachers reference. However, even with these Mitigating Circumstances and good AS results, I was still not offered an interview which I found very disappointing as one of my strengths would have been the interview. However, I have received offers from other top 5 Universities.

If I were to achieve A*A*A or A*A*AA of which I believe I am capable of attaining (of course this is easier said) - I am wondering whether this would make a competitive application to Cambridge, and also allow me to receive an interview. I understand that many people have success gaining entry on their second attempt, although I have not applied a first time.

I was considering taking a gap year. But I feel this gap year would be entirely dedicated to seeing the outcome of my application, which is a big risk given that I am not aware of my chances of receiving an offer. In addition, I am not sure whether the Universities would accept me on the second time round or whether they would be annoyed I did not accept initially.

For anyone who has been in a similar position, or has an informed opinion on this I would appreciate all advice. Thanks

I applied for English at Cambridge, found out that I was put into the intercollegiate winter pool but I wasn't made an offer. Im planning on re applying in the 2015-16 cycle for 2016 entry. I definitely think the reason I was unsuccessful this year in the pool was because of my low UMS average which was caused by 2 really disastrous exam results. Hopefully I can remedy these this summer and re apply in October. I was expecting a rejection from Cambridge but the fact that I was pooled has completely thrown me because it implies they had sufficient confidence in me that I would be suited to Cambridge, which has triggered something in my mind that makes me determined to go there. Im now hoping to take a gap year and reapply in the gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending