The Student Room Group

The School Dux

Hello!

Does anyone know what you have to do to get the dux at your school?

Thank Youuu!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I know.
You need to have accomplished great academic achievements and then you are usually nominated by your school for the award. Great academic achievements could mean that you've achieved all As in your exams or won highly respected competitions based on your own knowledge and skills. You've also managed to prove yourself as a responsible and successful student.
Original post by C16
From what I know.
You need to have accomplished great academic achievements and then you are usually nominated by your school for the award. Great academic achievements could mean that you've achieved all As in your exams or won highly respected competitions based on your own knowledge and skills. You've also managed to prove yourself as a responsible and successful student.

Yeah I thought it was something along those lines but I think at our school they calculate an average percentage score from all your prelims and exams as well.
I asked cos I was curious whether it was purely mathematically calculated or judged by teachers.

Thanks for your response!
Original post by tinababy
Yeah I thought it was something along those lines but I think at our school they calculate an average percentage score from all your prelims and exams as well.
I asked cos I was curious whether it was purely mathematically calculated or judged by teachers.

Thanks for your response!

It's entirely up to your school to decide. Some will use a simple prelim average. Others will factor in reports from class teachers. E.g. I remember in fifth year, my prelim average was the highest in the year (97%) but some other girl got it coz she was more keen and always did her homework etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
It's entirely up to your school to decide. Some will use a simple prelim average. Others will factor in reports from class teachers. E.g. I remember in fifth year, my prelim average was the highest in the year (97%) but some other girl got it coz she was more keen and always did her homework etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok. Well tbh I think the best thing would be for me to go ask a teacher but I don't want to seem like an overambitious and over confident person since that's me just sitting my prelims the now and they haven't mentioned it at all so I don't want to be jumping the buck but the prelims just got me thinking.

And that's seems like utter bs that you didn't get the dux and some other girl did even though you were the smartest cos the last time I checked it was about how smart you are and not anything else. If that were me I would most definitely try to get the bottom of it. Haha that's kinda rich coming from me cos I always did all the extra curricular stuff and was nice to teachers so that I'd be in their good books. However, in my instance I have been top of the year since first year so it would be fair if it were to happen. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh ok. Well tbh I think the best thing would be for me to go ask a teacher but I don't want to seem like an overambitious and over confident person since that's me just sitting my prelims the now and they haven't mentioned it at all so I don't want to be jumping the buck but the prelims just got me thinking.

And that's seems like utter bs that you didn't get the dux and some other girl did even though you were the smartest cos the last time I checked it was about how smart you are and not anything else. If that were me I would most definitely try to get the bottom of it. Haha that's kinda rich coming from me cos I always did all the extra curricular stuff and was nice to teachers so that I'd be in their good books. However, in my instance I have been top of the year since first year so it would be fair if it were to happen. :smile:

It's not smartest necessarily (there were other people in my year who were arguably smarter, but didn't do as well as me in exams), but the "most academic." I used to frequently turn up late, 'misbehave' in class, not do homework etc. In terms of academic effort put in, it was fair enough. But that was 3-4 years ago :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not smartest necessarily (there were other people in my year who were arguably smarter, but didn't do as well as me in exams), but the "most academic." I used to frequently turn up late, 'misbehave' in class, not do homework etc. In terms of academic effort put in, it was fair enough. But that was 3-4 years ago :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh I see. Well then that's understandable. I guess it's about the whole package rather than just being very intelligent. Haha but then on the other side I would say that you should have still got it as it seems that you were so intelligent that knowledge came easy to you despite your behaviour:tongue: . I always admire people who make being so smart and intelligent so effortless-seeming and it is something I always try to do and I hate people who make such a big deal out of studying and make themselves to seem like martyrs even though they are doing iot for themselves. :rolleyes: Excuse the mini rant :colondollar:
Ahhh I see. Well then that's understandable. I guess it's about the whole package rather than just being very intelligent. Haha but then on the other side I would say that you should have still got it as it seems that you were so intelligent that knowledge came easy to you despite your behaviour:tongue: . I always admire people who make being so smart and intelligent so effortless-seeming and it is something I always try to do and I hate people who make such a big deal out of studying and make themselves to seem like martyrs even though they are doing iot for themselves. :rolleyes: Excuse the mini rant :colondollar:

When you get to uni though, especially on a course like mine where everything is just rote-learning, you kinda have to study a lot and be organised. Being intelligent alone won't help that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What Askle said^
I averaged similar to him in my prelims and didnt get the dux, presumably because I didnt do homework/messed about in class.
Its basically the award for who is the most up teachers arses :laugh:
When you get to uni though, especially on a course like mine where everything is just rote-learning, you kinda have to study a lot and be organised. Being intelligent alone won't help that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well what i meant by that is I admire people who manage to organize themselves and be so efficient that they make it seem effortless and they never make a big deal out of it. It annoys me when people consider themselves smart cos they got an As in the exams but it was all through tears, stress, a week in hospital and seven different tutors spoon feeding them. ( true story from my school). I didn't mean it that it will be ok to not study and pass with just your intelligence I just meant it as in I don't like try hards. :smile:
[QUOTE="Pennyarcade;52875581"]What Askle said^
I averaged similar to him in my prelims and didnt get the dux, presumably because I didnt do homework/messed about in class.
Its basically the award for who is the most up teachers arses :laugh:[/QUOTE

Hahaha every little helps! I'm trying to get cos I think it will be a nice thing to write in my personal statement. :smile:
You're best to aka your school, at mine it was purely based on your average percentage in prelims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog
You're best to aka your school, at mine it was purely based on your average percentage in prelims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah probably the best thing to do. Will do it sometime in the next week I just didn't want to seem over eager. :smile:
In our school it's based on average percentage in final exams.
Original post by chopinfan
In our school it's based on average percentage in final exams.

At the end of fifth year or fourth year? And wb prelims? Thanks
At the end of fifth year or fourth year? And wb prelims? Thanks

They base it on exam results in fifth year; prelims aren't taken into account thankfully :redface: I think most schools use prelim results though.
Hello!

Does anyone know what you have to do to get the dux at your school?

Thank Youuu!

At mine it was best overall S5 prelim performance.
For both Intermediate (S4) and Senior (S5) Dux here it's based on your overall number of marks in percentage from your exams. I got the S4 Dux, split between four of us as our percentage was the exact same, but I was the only one of the four S4 Dux not to get the S5 Dux (blaming Higher English and Chemistry ngl :tongue:)
Original post by TheFOMaster
At mine it was best overall S5 prelim performance.

That's quite harsh isn't it tho:s-smilie: I mean you could be the best student for over four years but then you do slightly worse in the prelims and you lose the dux. :smile:
Original post by jackamakka
For both Intermediate (S4) and Senior (S5) Dux here it's based on your overall number of marks in percentage from your exams. I got the S4 Dux, split between four of us as our percentage was the exact same, but I was the only one of the four S4 Dux not to get the S5 Dux (blaming Higher English and Chemistry ngl :tongue:)

Haha english might be my problem too tbh...there's just so many good people in my year. :tongue: It's cool how you can get the dux twice. At our school it's just once. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending