The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Actually, that's really not true. I know many people who catabolise muscle for morning cardio. Fat is a more complex fuel source than protein (muscle) and so in times when the body needs fuel desperately (for instance when it has no glucose in the blood, after a night's sleep) it will be more likely to break down muscle for fuel.

A protein shake will stop the body from thinking it's starving and will result in oxidation of fat for fuel (providing you stay within an aerobic heart rate).

I disagree on the catabolism thing. When people catobolise muscle it is generally a result of a poor diet and not consuming enough protein rather than cardio before breakfast. You wont burn muscle through moderate cardio if your eating right.

After sleep your insulin levels are low which optimises fat loss as insulin interferes with the mobilisation and burning of fat. Eating before cardio is generally unproductive as you will simply burn the carbs you have just consumed. Many spend the first 20 minutes of cardio simply burning off their previous meal before actually moving on to burning fat. In theory, cardio in the morning should allow you to go straight on to burning fats
MrRobert87
After sleep your insulin levels are low which optimises fat loss as insulin interferes with the mobilisation and burning of fat.

Yes, but your cortisol levels are high, which results in the catabolisation of muscle.
MrRobert87
Eating before cardio is generally unproductive as you will simply burn the carbs you have just consumed. Many spend the first 20 minutes of cardio simply burning off their previous meal before actually moving on to burning fat. In theory, cardio in the morning should allow you to go straight on to burning fats

If you eat a carbohydrate meal, yes. If you eat a small amount of protein to wake your metabolism up, then no carbohydrate has been consumed, and your body should still reap the benefits of cardio with little insulin in the blood, but in a fed state.

Remember, after 8 hours without food, your body is going to be on the edge of thinking it's not going to get any and will start eating muscle.
Why does it matter if all you burn off is your previous meal, as long as its not a huge meal, when you look at the big picture you will still get x amount of calories consumed and y burned. It doesn't matter when you burn them aslong as you do it at a time when muscle isn't being broken down preferentially. That's why I always have breakfast first.
Reply 43
im sure breakfast is good for you
Reply 44
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Get some weight gloves.

No offence, but you're not pressing even close to 85K because you're pivotting from your feet. There is NO WAY you could press 85K 100 times in a day if you're only 85K yourself and completely unused to strength training. You're only pressing a small percentage of your total body weight. I weigh less than 85K and I'm used to bench pressing 120-145K (depending on rep range) and it doesn't hurt my hands at all. I use gloves.

You should get some.

how old r ya?
if thats a natural and raw lift you could easily compete (if you dont already) and qualify for the nationals!

you would have the highest benchpress in the BWLA under 23s in your weightclass from this year!
Slightly contraversialy, I have just started on an ephedrine supplement. No idea if it will work, if it will do me any good at all, but I am willing to try anything.

However, from what I can tell, this will only work if you also make an effort in other areas as well. It doesnt do the job of normal diets and exercise, but makes the effects more pronounced. And it can be one of those slopes that once you start on, you have to keep on otherwise you will revert back to being podgy.
just t
how old r ya?
if thats a natural and raw lift you could easily compete (if you dont already) and qualify for the nationals!

you would have the highest benchpress in the BWLA under 23s in your weightclass from this year!

I'm nearly 23.

OK, that's very strong, but I know guys who weigh 15 lbs less than me and can put up an extra 30 on the bench. Now THOSE guys are SERIOUSLY strong.
Anonymous
Slightly contraversialy, I have just started on an ephedrine supplement. No idea if it will work, if it will do me any good at all, but I am willing to try anything.

Ephedrine is about as controversial as wholemeal bread.
Reply 48
The not eating at night is a load of crap! I usually eat at around 7:30/8pm but yet, I have lost weight since coming to uni! All you gotta do is eat less, eat better and do more exercise. More fruit and veg, more bread/pasta/ white mean and fish less of everything else.
Reply 49
1; Cut down/Cut out fast food/junk food
2; Drink lots of water
3; Eat plenty of fruit and veg
4; Walk everywhere you can
5; If you drink soda, drink the Diet varieties
6; Don't deprive yourself of treats [e.g. chocolate etc] as this can then lead you to binge on them

Good luck.
Gamma
Reduce calorie intake, be more active, drink water.

That's it in a nutshell.

Latest

Trending

Trending