The Student Room Group

Stressed out took only 6 igcse subjects and want to apply for oxbridge?

I took 6 igcse subjects which are
Math A* Chemistry A* Physics A* Biology A* Ict A* Englsih B

I really want to apply to Oxbridge so bad but don't know if it is just stupid move and will be waste. I will do arabic second language IGCSE and will for sure get A* so thats 7 igcses if it works out as planned. The other problem is I have no hospital work experience at all I am volunteering for hospice and will start at st johns ambulance and also will be doing dementia friends for royal voluntary service and finally ncs at summer should I still be worried for the hospital work experience. I am currently taking As Math Chemistry Biology Physics

Should I apply for oxbridge?
You have 4 choices, so why not give it a shot. More GCSEs would help but 7 isn't so bad - it's not like you only did 1 or 2! And you have all the sciences and the grades are decent. Also you've got your current predicted grades so you've got some academic record there too.

It is a good idea to try to get formal work experience. Volunteering is fine but the two reasons for work experience are:
1. To make sure you know what medicine actually entails so they can avoid you starting the degree and then dropping out
2. To show that you can reflect on situations by writing about your experience in your personal statement

You can do number 2 with your volunteering, but it can be harder to achieve number 1. Try to get some proper experience if you can - also don't just try hospitals, GP work experience is usually much easier to get and you also get looked after a bit better!

At the end of the day, provided you meet the minimum of what a University asks for, there's never anything to stop you applying. It's competitive for ALL medical schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending