The Student Room Group

What Unis In The UK DON'T Care About Your IGCSE/GCSE Results

I got terrible marks for my IGCSEs. Surprisingly, despite getting grades below C for Bio, Chem and Maths, I was allowed to take them for A-Levels. Initially I struggled but a few months have passed and after living and breathing Bio, Chem & Maths I'm finally able to understand what's going on in class.

Assuming I get good grades for my A-Levels, what unis in the UK should I apply to for medicine? I don't want to waste my applications on unis like Oxbridge because I know that they care about your IGCSE/GCSE results.
Moved to the medicine forum as it has very specific requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by love_eila
I got terrible marks for my IGCSEs. Surprisingly, despite getting grades below C for Bio, Chem and Maths, I was allowed to take them for A-Levels. Initially I struggled but a few months have passed and after living and breathing Bio, Chem & Maths I'm finally able to understand what's going on in class.

Assuming I get good grades for my A-Levels, what unis in the UK should I apply to for medicine? I don't want to waste my applications on unis like Oxbridge because I know that they care about your IGCSE/GCSE results.

Have a read of the GCSE requirements link in the first post here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7233558

And then cross reference everything with med school websites.
Only Cambridge and Newcastle have zero GCSE requirements. Some others only need a 6/B in Eng Lang, but all of those will require high admission test scores. Most want at least a 6 in Eng Lang and maths
Original post by GANFYD
Have a read of the GCSE requirements link in the first post here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7233558

And then cross reference everything with med school websites.
Only Cambridge and Newcastle have zero GCSE requirements. Some others only need a 6/B in Eng Lang, but all of those will require high admission test scores. Most want at least a 6 in Eng Lang and maths

OP nothing I can add to GANFYDs post above..Good luck.

@GANFYD I saw on the Newcastle a100 thread that they have apparently said that for 2025 entry they are shifting to a UCAT/GCSE weighted split. So one to watch for if it happens and if you are the one updating the admissions pages next year.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending