The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Nursing 2015 firms

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I've got an interview next Monday. I've revised the NHS constitution but I haven't looked at the leaflet yet. If you don't mind me asking what was the questions they asked you?

I really want Soton as I live here and it's so much more practical! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by bloomfieldl
Hello! I've got an interview next Monday. I've revised the NHS constitution but I haven't looked at the leaflet yet. If you don't mind me asking what was the questions they asked you?

I really want Soton as I live here and it's so much more practical! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, my question was along the lines of "which quality most applies to you and how have you shown it" and then "what would you like to see more of in nursing"

Although the questions are different each time I think they're fairly generic it's not a test more your interpretation, always link it to your chosen field, I used one of the 6 C's with examples (related to volunteering etc.) for the first and then person centred care and increased training for the second...

My best advice is watch your time, I spent ages on the maths and nearly ran out of time for the English.

Good luck x
Okay brill, will do! Do you get 20 mins on each? Thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay brill, will do! Do you get 20 mins on each? Thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was 40-45 mins in total, but they don't say half way etc.
Oh okay, will definitely take a watch then! Lol x x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay, will definitely take a watch then! Lol x x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup haha
and actively watch the time, I was sat at the front by huge clocks but I was too engrossed in my questions and forgot to check it hence the rushed ending. Xx
Original post by cherrytrueman95
Hi, I'm about to firm Southampton for adult branch starting Sept (BTEC D*DD). Just waiting to hear where Bournemouth want to put me so I can pick my insurance between them and Oxford Brookes (just in case haha). So exciting.

I can't promise I'm the fastest at replying but I'm happy to answer questions about interviews etc. for those who haven't been yet :biggrin:

Hey. I applied to Southampton and oxford brookes as well. I have my interview next week for Oxford brookes. How was oxford brookes math and english test and interview like? I haven't heard from Southampton yet which is my top choice.
Original post by bless1994
Hey. I applied to Southampton and oxford brookes as well. I have my interview next week for Oxford brookes. How was oxford brookes math and english test and interview like? I haven't heard from Southampton yet which is my top choice.

Brookes have no tests :smile:

Start off with a talk then tour, after is an observed group discussion then you have to write a short piece (they're marking your content not your English as long as it makes sense) then a one to one interview in which they talk about your written piece and ask about you and your attributes. :smile: xx
Brookes have no tests :smile:

Start off with a talk then tour, after is an observed group discussion then you have to write a short piece (they're marking your content not your English as long as it makes sense) then a one to one interview in which they talk about your written piece and ask about you and your attributes. :smile: xx

Wow I feel absolutely happy to hear that Brookes doesn't have a test.:smile::smile: How was Southampton like? xx
Original post by bless1994
Wow I feel absolutely happy to hear that Brookes doesn't have a test.:smile::smile: How was Southampton like? xx

I think Soton was more intense. There were 14 students at Brookes, and around 100 at Soton. The maths and English were very hard in my opinion, I'm not saying that to scare you lol, I'm just being realistic. My group interview went okay however there were some very strong characters to compete with, I think my current grades swung it in my favour, I don't believe my offer was easily given, as I did find it harder than the others.

There were 2 sides of maths and the same of English, the operations were easy the numbers were hard to manipulate. English was okay I just ran out of time. My group question was about promoting good health as a nurse. :smile:

Good luck xx
I think Soton was more intense. There were 14 students at Brookes, and around 100 at Soton. The maths and English were very hard in my opinion, I'm not saying that to scare you lol, I'm just being realistic. My group interview went okay however there were some very strong characters to compete with, I think my current grades swung it in my favour, I don't believe my offer was easily given, as I did find it harder than the others.

There were 2 sides of maths and the same of English, the operations were easy the numbers were hard to manipulate. English was okay I just ran out of time. My group question was about promoting good health as a nurse. :smile:

Good luck xx

Well congrat on your offer and thanks for the info. It was helpful. xx
Reply 31
I sent off my application for adult's nursing on the 14th December and I still haven't heard anything back from Southampton... Would this likely mean that it's a rejection? I'm getting worried :frown:
Original post by hananna
I sent off my application for adult's nursing on the 14th December and I still haven't heard anything back from Southampton... Would this likely mean that it's a rejection? I'm getting worried :frown:

Hey, don't worry, they had an extra 1000 applicants this year and closed over Christmas. So they're working through the backlog. Good luck xx
I firmed Soton yey!!!
Reply 34
Hey, don't worry, they had an extra 1000 applicants this year and closed over Christmas. So they're working through the backlog. Good luck xx

Thanks for the reply :smile: It's just a pain since I know people who applied later than I did who have already had their interviews. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
Original post by hananna
Thanks for the reply :smile: It's just a pain since I know people who applied later than I did who have already had their interviews. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

I know that's the absolute worst. However they're looking at you on an individual basis, try not to compare waiting times, it's hard but it was driving me stir crazy. I'm sure you'll hear back soon and if you're worried you could always give them a ring. However to them it's only been around 5/6 weeks because of Christmas :smile: xx
Send them an email or call them! Mine went in at the beginning of Dec and I chased it last week and I completely missed my interview email! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Send them an email or call them! Mine went in at the beginning of Dec and I chased it last week and I completely missed my interview email! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow really? How do I go about addressing it with them without seeming impatient and awkward? haha
Just email and ask saying you're just curious as others who applied after have heard back. They reply quick too :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Just email and ask saying you're just curious as others who applied after have heard back. They reply quick too :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :smile: Did you email the general admissions, or is it better to contact the Nursing department directly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending