The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You must be biting into your overdraft
Reply 2
So I would have to pay interest? How long do I usually have until the interest is put into play?
If you have one. It could be unauthorised. I made a small mistake when I lost track of one of many cheques I'd paid to my driving instructor at the beginning of this year and ended up going a couple of quid overdrawn. I made up the difference within 24 hours but I can't get a student account because of it.
Reply 4
I think some banks charge you around £30 or some ridiculous amount for going overdrawn but check out your one
Reply 5
So how do I know if I'm authorised to do it?
Reply 6
The only time I went overdrawn I didn't even think I could go in the red so it must be open to all current accounts with debit cards I'm presuming.
Yeah, my account wasn't supposed to have an overdraft, but because of a mix up when paying for things I ended up a few pounds over. I wasn't charged for it or anything, and I paid some money into my account a week or two later and there wasn't any repurcussion :?:
Reply 8
Yeah, it's just I don't want to be charged :afraid:

I've already transferred payment from my other bank account to my debit, which takes 3 day. It's just I urgently needed to purchase this item before 12am, and the debit card was the only option I could satify...
Reply 9
Revd. Mike
Yeah, my account wasn't supposed to have an overdraft, but because of a mix up when paying for things I ended up a few pounds over. I wasn't charged for it or anything, and I paid some money into my account a week or two later and there wasn't any repurcussion :?:

Ah right, cool.
tomdude644
Yeah, it's just I don't want to be charged :afraid:

I've already transferred payment from my other bank account to my debit, which takes 3 day. It's just I urgently needed to purchase this item before 12am, and the debit card was the only option I could satify...

you'll probably get a £12 overlimit charge. think its capped at that. which bank are you with? phoning up and begging may do the trick but that will only get you a refund, the fact that you've been overdrawn will stay on your file.
Reply 11
guccilittlepiggy
you'll probably get a £12 overlimit charge. think its capped at that. which bank are you with? phoning up and begging may do the trick but that will only get you a refund, the fact that you've been overdrawn will stay on your file.

Oh, great :redface:. Abbey

Will that just affect my future with Abbey, or other banks as well?
Reply 12
Erm... there's a section on my online account which lets me request an overdraft...
Reply 13
Fusion
I think some banks charge you around £30 or some ridiculous amount for going overdrawn but check out your one

£39...then they have the audacity to charge you a further £28 for every month you're overdrawn thereafter. I was unfortunate enough to discover this myself when a direct debit I forgot to cancel would have put me just £5 in the red. I never found out until the month after (so I was facing two months' fines for being overdrawn) because I'm on an online account with no paperwork. God, that pissed me off - £95 in debt because a direct debit would have put me £5 in debt :mad: Bastards.
Reply 14
:eek:

I'm only £3 in the negative, and this should be paid within 3 days (being processed now), do you think they'll still skank money off me? :redface:
tomdude644
:eek:

I'm only £3 in the negative, and this should be paid within 3 days (being processed now), do you think they'll still skank money off me? :redface:

most likely. we do have to pay for the christmas parties somehow you know :wink: i had to charge someone stupid amounts of money for being 1p below her minimum payment today. harsh, but..

anyway, just phone up and if you're convincing enough you may get a refund.
Reply 16
*Runs off and cries* :bawling:
tomdude644
*Runs off and cries* :bawling:

aww don't worry. if you phone and they say no then tell them you'll move your account and they may be a little more willing to help :wink:
Reply 18
guccilittlepiggy
aww don't worry. if you phone and they say no then tell them you'll move your account and they may be a little more willing to help :wink:

lol, I'm sure that'll work :p:

You know someone said that it will stay on my file? Do you know if this is only remains within Abbey?
tomdude644
lol, I'm sure that'll work :p:

You know someone said that it will stay on my file? Do you know if this is only remains within Abbey?

it will be on your record which every bank can see. if you go to the experian website you can order a copy.

Latest

Trending

Trending