The Student Room Group

Good fourth a level subject to go with English lit, geography and history?

Hi, I'm in year 11 and I've just joined TSR and wondered if I could have some advice on choosing A level subjects please!
I'm already completely set on taking English lit, history and geography but I'm all confused with the fourth subject. At the moment I'm considering either: philosophy, economics, psychology or biology. Which would be most useful and go with the other option choices the best?
Generally, I would consider myself a lot better at essay based subjects rather than shorter question papers but I don't want to overdo it with all the essays!
Also, a big reason I'm so indecisive is that the subjects I'm most interested in out of these 4 are psychology and philosophy but they aren't as respected as economics and especially not biology. So another question- do I go with what I would enjoy the most or what would make my application look the smartest?
Thanks for any responses:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by kaytaylou
I'd take Philosophy cos the work load is a lot less than you'd get for Psychology and it's pretty easy to understand. I do Philosophy, History, English Lit and Media, but I have some friends who do Psychology, History, English Lit and Philosophy and the amount of essays and revision is craayyyy :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day it just depends what you're more interested in. I got an A* in RS GCSE so thats why I took it I didn't take GCSE Psych so I might be a bit biased! :tongue:

Hi! Thanks for your help- I still don't know what to do though!
I have a 6th form interview next week so hopefully that will help:smile:
Thanks for replying
Id take Business Studies

Im biased as i really enjoy this subject, but the answer does have merit too.

Its an essay based subject, which will go well with history and english lit - you cannot therefore be bad at it.
Its relatively easy, which will boost your overall A level grades as less pressure.
Its regarded pretty well, its no mathematics, but most universities see it in good light.

But out the ones you suggested, id do Philosophy, its easier than the others, meaning you will get higher results overall. its regarded as an okay subject, but if you drop it at AS level no-one cares lol. You are better off taking an easy subject, scoring a very high grade, and then just drop it, all the universities will just see it as a good AS grade and wont care about the subject much xD.

Id think about where you want to apply to university, as this can make a differance.
Reply 3
I take both Philosophy and Psychology with English lit and History, with the intention of dropping Psychology at A2. If you prefer essay based questions to shorter questions, I would probably go with Philosophy. I do AQA for Psychology and it reminds me quite a bit of my GCSE science exams in structure, with quite a few lower mark questions and then a few 6, 8 or 12 mark questions. However, on Edexcel for Philosophy, we have I think 3 21 mark essays, 3 9 mark essays and one big 50 mark essay.
Reply 4
Original post by Yellow636
Id take Business Studies

Im biased as i really enjoy this subject, but the answer does have merit too.

Its an essay based subject, which will go well with history and english lit - you cannot therefore be bad at it.
Its relatively easy, which will boost your overall A level grades as less pressure.
Its regarded pretty well, its no mathematics, but most universities see it in good light.

But out the ones you suggested, id do Philosophy, its easier than the others, meaning you will get higher results overall. its regarded as an okay subject, but if you drop it at AS level no-one cares lol. You are better off taking an easy subject, scoring a very high grade, and then just drop it, all the universities will just see it as a good AS grade and wont care about the subject much xD.

Id think about where you want to apply to university, as this can make a differance.

Thank you! The only problem is that my school only offers BTEC Business and I was aiming for a top uni and most of them don't think very highly of BTECs. Thanks for the advice about AS though as whichever subject I pick as a 4th I will probably drop anyway so yeah I agree its probably better to do an easier subject & get a fab grade:smile:
Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by oswalds
I take both Philosophy and Psychology with English lit and History, with the intention of dropping Psychology at A2. If you prefer essay based questions to shorter questions, I would probably go with Philosophy. I do AQA for Psychology and it reminds me quite a bit of my GCSE science exams in structure, with quite a few lower mark questions and then a few 6, 8 or 12 mark questions. However, on Edexcel for Philosophy, we have I think 3 21 mark essays, 3 9 mark essays and one big 50 mark essay.

Thanks for the reply!
I've looked and my school's exam board for philosophy is edexcel so I guess has the big essay questions. How is philosophy as a subject though? Is it literally just about religion or other things as well? I've heard that psychology involves a lot of fact learning and regurgitating which is what I hate about science:s-smilie:
Philosophy is the subject that I am most swayed towards at the moment so if you could help me with what the content is actually like then you are bae:smile:
THANKS
do what YOU want to do because YOU enjoy it, not because SOMEONE ELSE told you to do it, or because it looks GOOD because at the end of the day, whatever subjects you do, they will be highly appreciated by any uni when you apply... some degree courses don't even care what a-level subjects you do, as long as you get good grades
Hey there! I'd honestly say that your 3 subject choices would go best with politics or economics. In fact English Lit and History are essay writing subjects, so you'd only get more practice whilst studying economics. Plus, Economics/Politics links in with History and Geography very well, as they are both linked to the arts, and talk about present and past day situations. This is only a guide as to what popped into my head, but good luck at your choice!!
Reply 8
Original post by theTeddyBearx
do what YOU want to do because YOU enjoy it, not because SOMEONE ELSE told you to do it, or because it looks GOOD because at the end of the day, whatever subjects you do, they will be highly appreciated by any uni when you apply... some degree courses don't even care what a-level subjects you do, as long as you get good grades

I totally agree! I'm quite lucky because my parents let me do the subjects I want and I guess because I don't know what I want to do I'll just pick something that looks interesting. Probably going to pick philosophy tbh.
Thanks for the reply
Original post by gracekin
I totally agree! I'm quite lucky because my parents let me do the subjects I want and I guess because I don't know what I want to do I'll just pick something that looks interesting. Probably going to pick philosophy tbh.
Thanks for the reply

that's good. atleast you're all set for the future now :smile: just work hard when it comes to a-levels though. philosophy is a great subject, by the way
Reply 10
Original post by Rabia.Nishat
Hey there! I'd honestly say that your 3 subject choices would go best with politics or economics. In fact English Lit and History are essay writing subjects, so you'd only get more practice whilst studying economics. Plus, Economics/Politics links in with History and Geography very well, as they are both linked to the arts, and talk about present and past day situations. This is only a guide as to what popped into my head, but good luck at your choice!!

My school only offers straight economics not with politics so idk it just doesn't seem that interesting to me:s-smilie:
Thanks for the reply though!
My school only offers straight economics not with politics so idk it just doesn't seem that interesting to me:s-smilie:
Thanks for the reply though!
No worries! And in that case, I'd say look at the two courses, figure out what board it is, if the exam will be linear or modular, which will require more work, and which exam board is it. To be honest, there's no point in sitting an exam that you hate, so as everyone else has said, go for what you believe in, but check all those things first. You don't want to stress yourself out and find out you have more homework/coursework to do, when you could be chilling out.
Reply 12
I would definitely look into the economics course before choosing it because its really not what you'd expect and its really not much like history at all. It has 1 mark questions but also 8, 12 and 25 mark ones too. I take history, economics and biology and a lot of people expect biology to be short answers but don't realise that the paper has a 25 mark essay in it too
Thanks for the reply!
I've looked and my school's exam board for philosophy is edexcel so I guess has the big essay questions. How is philosophy as a subject though? Is it literally just about religion or other things as well? I've heard that psychology involves a lot of fact learning and regurgitating which is what I hate about science:s-smilie:
Philosophy is the subject that I am most swayed towards at the moment so if you could help me with what the content is actually like then you are bae:smile:
THANKS

It's got some religion in it, but it isn't really overwhelming. It's mostly arguments proving the existence of God, and then counter arguments against that and what philosophers have said in response to that. We've also looked at miracles and the problem of evil (We've done a lot about this, talking about the idea that if a God as described in the bible exists, then how can we have evil in the world?). We've also studies Just War and Abortion. There are some aspects of science in there, but barely any and just stuff like the evolution. Some of the ideas that I have looked at are those of William Paley, Thomas Aquinas, Immanuel Kant, Dawkins, Hume etc. It's also a lot about your own opinion on certain topics, and whether or not you agree with them.
Reply 14
Original post by oswalds
It's got some religion in it, but it isn't really overwhelming. It's mostly arguments proving the existence of God, and then counter arguments against that and what philosophers have said in response to that. We've also looked at miracles and the problem of evil (We've done a lot about this, talking about the idea that if a God as described in the bible exists, then how can we have evil in the world?). We've also studies Just War and Abortion. There are some aspects of science in there, but barely any and just stuff like the evolution. Some of the ideas that I have looked at are those of William Paley, Thomas Aquinas, Immanuel Kant, Dawkins, Hume etc. It's also a lot about your own opinion on certain topics, and whether or not you agree with them.

Thank you so much- that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! It sounds so interesting, I literally can't wait to take it now:smile:
Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest