The Student Room Group

These A levels for economics at uni?

I'm thinking of doing Maths + Further Maths, Economics, French and Spanish (drop at AS)

I will probably get people saying I should do a science/history but really my strengths lie in 2 things: Maths and Languages so am I right in thinking this is a good choice for me?

Also would this be a competitive choice of A levels for applying to do economics or would I lose out to people who had science a levels?

Replies reaally appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
These are fine don't worry science is not needed
Well, where are you applying for economics at? To be quite honest with you so long as you get A*AA you should get into most places assuming you're going to a good school/college so you know how best to apply to those better universities.

I think this is a really solid set of A-levels, further maths is incredibly tough though, just saying, maths at GCSE is a piece of piss compared to it. I got an A* and GCSE and I only did AS maths (no further maths), I got a U in my first maths exam as I didn't take it seriously at all (meaning I only started revising for it about a week before the exam and even then only did about 10hours revision). Expect to do a good 14hours of maths revision a week, every single week (more near exams) if you want an A* at further maths. Unless you're better at maths than me...

Studying economics at leeds now. Great subject. Very practically useful, but also very theoretically informing.

Also, note that further maths is an additional A-level on top of ordinary maths. Typically you're only expected to do 3 full A-levels and one AS, you seem to say you want to do 4 full A-levels and an AS? That will be very very hard you know, especially since you want to do further maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TorpidPhil
Well, where are you applying for economics at? To be quite honest with you so long as you get A*AA you should get into most places assuming you're going to a good school/college so you know how best to apply to those better universities.

I think this is a really solid set of A-levels, further maths is incredibly tough though, just saying, maths at GCSE is a piece of piss compared to it. I got an A* and GCSE and I only did AS maths (no further maths), I got a U in my first maths exam as I didn't take it seriously at all (meaning I only started revising for it about a week before the exam and even then only did about 10hours revision). Expect to do a good 14hours of maths revision a week, every single week (more near exams) if you want an A* at further maths. Unless you're better at maths than me...

Studying economics at leeds now. Great subject. Very practically useful, but also very theoretically informing.

Also, note that further maths is an additional A-level on top of ordinary maths. Typically you're only expected to do 3 full A-levels and one AS, you seem to say you want to do 4 full A-levels and an AS? That will be very very hard you know, especially since you want to do further maths.

Yes quite a lot of people at my school will be doing 4 A levels and an AS because of doing further maths. What A levels did you do and what grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Also I have the option of dropping Further Maths at the end of AS in year 12 and only still doing 3 A levels but I would only do this if I really struggled with FM or felt it was jeopardising my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Why do you keep starting the same thread over and over again?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=1636649&starteronly=1
Reply 6
It's quite an important decision and you don't have to comment on my post if you don't want to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Yes quite a lot of people at my school will be doing 4 A levels and an AS because of doing further maths. What A levels did you do and what grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ended up doing philosophy, sociology and economics and got A*AA respectively. Got a C in my AS maths in the end :L

I guess going for the 5 AS levels if fine because you can just drop two of them if it's too much of a struggle, but just really be wary that the jump from GCSE to AS is absolutely gigantic. You will be working your ass off unimaginably harder. Don't expect too great of a social life, at least not compared to what you had at high school. Be prepared, take it seriously, revise everything you do in the day at night.

The jump from AS to A-level isn't half as large imo, at least not for my subjects, maybe the hard sciences are different.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending