The Student Room Group

Why does Lebanon's president have to be Christian

When it has a Muslim majority?

I'm interested in the country's history, and was wondering this..
What's the issue? Muslims are generally for diversity.....just not for their own countries.
Reply 2
Lebanon was once majority Christian.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Catholic_
What's the issue? Muslims are generally for diversity.....just not for their own countries.

It's not an issue. Was just asking..
Reply 4
Part of power sharing deals from the 1940s so that the government could actively reflect the diverse ethnic and religious background of the country.

The President has to be a Christian, which is a largely ceremonial role like our Queen. The Speaker has to be a Shia Muslim and the Prime Minster a Sunni Muslim.
Just like in Northern Ireland there are serious religious tensions in Lebanon and the political system tries to make sure everyone is represented so there is no repression.

So the President is Christian, The Speaker of the Parliament is a Shi'a Muslim and The Prime Minister is a Sunni Muslim.
So is the country secular or sectarian then?? I understand that the system was created at a time when it was the best solution, but what about now?
Bump
Original post by Catholic_

You spread a lot of anti-islamic hatred. I wonder if you know how Catholicism spread to the Americas.. HMM
Original post by TheTruthTeller
You spread a lot of anti-islamic hatred. I wonder if you know how Catholicism spread to the Americas.. HMM

Pls stay on topic:smile:
Original post by lostwanderer
When it has a Muslim majority?

I'm interested in the country's history, and was wondering this..

Lebanon had a Christian majority until recently. When the country was being created it was decided that the President should be a Maronite Christian, the Prime Minister should be a Sunni Muslim and the Speaker of Parliament should be a Shia Muslim, because it was thought that that would be the best way to avoid religious conflict.

I suppose you can compare it to the situation in Northern Ireland, where one out of the First Minister and the Deputy First Minister needs to be a unionist, while the other needs to be a republican.

Now, Christians are a slight minority in Lebanon thanks to differences in birth rates, but they still make up 41% of the population. So the reasoning behind the original arrangement still applies.
Your question has pretty much already been answered. You've pointed out that Christians are a minority, but they still make up a large part of the population(40% vs Muslims who make up around 55%.)
This is mostly due to emigration rates amongst the Christians(around 70% of Lebanese people worldwide are in fact Christians.) The current system was put in place to ease sectarian tension and to ensure that political power is shared amongst the main sects
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arbolus

I suppose you can compare it to the situation in Northern Ireland, where one out of the First Minister and the Deputy First Minister needs to be a unionist, while the other needs to be a republican.

Similarly, Nigerian politics has an unwritten rule that a Christian Presidential candidate must choose a Muslim running mate, and vice versa.

I'm still yet to be convinced either way as to the effectiveness of such arrangements - some argue they institutionalise community differences rather than integrating them. Still, as peace agreements they're still generally better than what came before.
Our monarch has to be Christian even though most of their subjects are sheep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending