The Student Room Group

M Obama sparks backlash for not covering head in Saudi Arabia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NaTaLiiA513
We can all come up with the conclusion that the US and Saudi Arabia need each other.

Yep they have a mutually beneficial relationship for which there is no one party which could, for whatever insane reason, impose sanctions on the other without it having a, to whatever degree, detrimental effect on their economy.
Original post by Wade-
Turkey, Tunisia and Syria had but they repealed it. Also some basic research has shown that it's not even as mandatory as you've made out that muslim women cover their heads.

Well no she just wouldn't go or wouldn't obey all of them. You're missing my point, you see her covering her head as a rule so why do you want her to follow that rule but then you're happy for her to break the rule about going to mosque?

Where else have I generalised? Yeah I bet if I had used that same verse it would have been ok but if I had taken something to highlight the violence then I'd be told I'm taking it out of context

Posted from TSR Mobile

What basic research lol? It is 100% compulsory for Muslim women to cover their head. Just because some Muslims don't, it doesn't make it right. I'm pretty sure I know my religion better than you.

It has already been said by the Prophet (SAW) that it is better for the woman to pray at home rather than in the mosque. So your point would still be invalid lol.
Btw the 'covering her head' isn't a rule. I will repeat myself again. It is out of respect (assuming we're talking about Michelle Obama here).

You said:
'It's also quite funny that muslim people like quoting the quran but when non-muslims do it to make a point they're not taking it in context'
You're assuming all Muslims take into context Quranic verses when they're posting them. But some don't and I've seen it here.
You're also saying all non Muslims don't see the context of Quranic verses, but this is not the case.

Yes because some non Muslims love quoting these 'violent' verses, and I'm not sure how many actually know the context of them. There are verses which talk about the battles in the past and all the fighting etc. Of course they're not going to paint a nice scene now are they?
Everyone should do their research properly and not cherry pick.
Reply 102
Original post by HAnwar
What basic research lol? It is 100% compulsory for Muslim women to cover their head. Just because some Muslims don't, it doesn't make it right. I'm pretty sure I know my religion better than you.

I'm quite sure the governments of Turkey, Tunisia and Syria know Islam pretty well too. I'm pretty sure the woman who wrote this knows her religion http://en.qantara.de/content/the-german-islam-scholar-lamya-kaddor-why-i-as-a-muslim-woman-dont-wear-a-headscarf. Besides the basis of my argument was stating that it is in fact, as you perceive it, a rule of the religion and not a rule of the country and thus Michelle Obama is under no obligation to follow it.

Original post by HAnwar
It has already been said by the Prophet (SAW) that it is better for the woman to pray at home rather than in the mosque. So your point would still be invalid lol.
Btw the 'covering her head' isn't a rule. I will repeat myself again. It is out of respect (assuming we're talking about Michelle Obama here).

Well then out of respect she should pray at home? The points your making aren't actually against my points. My simple point that you've failed to answer is 'why do you expect her to follow one particular religious 'rule' but you're happy for her not to follow others?'
Original post by Wade-
I'm quite sure the governments of Turkey, Tunisia and Syria know Islam pretty well too. I'm pretty sure the woman who wrote this knows her religion http://en.qantara.de/content/the-german-islam-scholar-lamya-kaddor-why-i-as-a-muslim-woman-dont-wear-a-headscarf. Besides the basis of my argument was stating that it is in fact, as you perceive it, a rule of the religion and not a rule of the country and thus Michelle Obama is under no obligation to follow it.

Well then out of respect she should pray at home? The points your making aren't actually against my points. My simple point that you've failed to answer is 'why do you expect her to follow one particular religious 'rule' but you're happy for her not to follow others?'

No they don't know Islam well. They're becoming more secular each day. And I'm not even going to bother clicking on that link. A person on the ISOC tried to put the same issue forward just a couple of hours ago, and not one Muslim agreed with him. Feel free to go on the thread and check out some of the evidence presented by the users against his claim.

Who is she going to pray to?
What other rules are you talking about?
She doesn't have to act like the perfect Muslim. She just has to respect the environment she's in. For example, if a non Muslim woman wanted to go to a mosque just to visit it and see what it's like, she has to dress in an appropriate manner out of RESPECT, but that doesn't mean she has to start praying and such, because it's not her religion. But because she chose to go there, she has to conduct herself in an appropriate manner.

This shall be the last time I reply to you. You're obviously rejecting everything I say because it's not want you want to hear, even though I've provided you with Quranic verses etc. And I recommend you search on sites that provide a more accurate version of Islam, by the top and most famous scholars, rather than those that present a minority view.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Ok well when muslims come to christian countries they should wear a crucifix, uncover their heads, eat non-halal meat and drink alcohol because that's our culture

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those aren't Christian values.

Culture and religion are different things.

Covering her head doesn't go against any of her teachings, in Christianity they were even told to.

Not that it makes a difference, it isn't a big deal that she didn't.

But your point is stupid.
Original post by HAnwar
I'm not even going to bother clicking on that link]
you can also cover your ears and go "la la la, can't hear you"
Reply 107
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Those aren't Christian values.

Culture and religion are different things.

Covering her head doesn't go against any of her teachings, in Christianity they were even told to.

Not that it makes a difference, it isn't a big deal that she didn't.

But your point is stupid.

Well like I said certain muslim majority countries have banned the hijab in the past and lots of muslim women don't wear anything so I'm beginning doubt how much of a value it really is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by HAnwar
No they don't know Islam well. They're becoming more secular each day. And I'm not even going to bother clicking on that link. A person on the ISOC tried to put the same issue forward just a couple of hours ago, and not one Muslim agreed with him. Feel free to go on the thread and check out some of the evidence presented by the users against his claim.

Who is she going to pray to?
What other rules are you talking about?
She doesn't have to act like the perfect Muslim. She just has to respect the environment she's in. For example, if a non Muslim woman wanted to go to a mosque just to visit it and see what it's like, she has to dress in an appropriate manner out of RESPECT, but that doesn't mean she has to start praying and such, because it's not her religion. But because she chose to go there, she has to conduct herself in an appropriate manner.

This shall be the last time I reply to you. You're obviously rejecting everything I say because it's not want you want to hear, even though I've provided you with Quranic verses etc. And I recommend you search on sites that provide a more accurate version of Islam, by the top and most famous scholars, rather than those that present a minority view.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're still ducking my question and just talking about things that are completely irrelevant. Let me try one more time to make as simple for your evidently small brain:

According to you covering your head is an Islamic rule, correct?

Would you also agree that a rule of Islam is that you have to pray? Can you call yourself muslim if you don't pray? I'm going to assume that the answer to this is yes, you have to pray to be a Muslim.

Now that's established let's try again; why should Michelle Obama have felt compelled to follow one Islamic rule (covering her head) whilst ignoring another (praying)

No doubt you either won't respond or you'll come back with a long reply that doesn't my point at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending