The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
i meant the gyp- there's a gym (i couldn't find anything on that!)....oooh not looking forward to the loud nights! do we have to bring our own bedding, but they provide the pillows and duvets? .
Is the noise really that bad *scared*?
:biggrin: thank you for the infor though
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi could somebody tell me what the gyp rooms are like in the first year accomodation blocks?
Do they all have hobs and ovens?
Reply 382
*Joanna*
It's not the biggest in Cromwell, but is one of the larger ones. You're facing the street though, with the King St Run pub. :frown: Do you mean gym (which is tiny) or gyp ie kitchen? (Which is also pretty tiny) On the plus side, you're really close to the washing machine!

gyp rooms (sidney just call them kitchens) aren't huge for the first years, but they all come with ovens, hobs, sinks, commual fridge, washing up liquid, sponges, and plenty of storage space.

There is also a gym run by the student body. It isn't huge, but it has a treadmill, cross trainer, giant exercise ball, weights, a bike, rowing machine. Students can use it whenever they like, membership is around £5 a term.

Noise - around 75% of first year rooms will face a busy street. However, King Street (for anyone living in Cromwell) only gets very noisy on a friday/saturday night, and it's not that bad that you can't work/sleep. Garden court dwellers have to deal with the back gate clanging every so often, but usually after the bar shuts, this noise dies down too.
I think if you're used to living in a built up area, the noise won't really bother you, since it's not that loud. But if, like me, you live in the middle of nowhere, it seems really loud!
Reply 384
re bedding, all beding including duvet covers etc is provided if you want to use them - lots do as this means that they are changed and washed for you every week, you just need a throw or cushions of something cos some arent v pretty. but you can brin your own if you prefer (but you wash them etc). if you always sleep with a specific pillow or like lots them bring them as you usually have 2. other bedding is up to you, but i wouldnt bring extra blankets if you live in garden court unless you really really really really get cold, as the heating is a tad on the generous side to say the least!
Reply 385
ooh that's good about the covers, i might bring one of mine- are they single beds and single duvet covers (i've always had a double duvet, since the age of 7, so i can cocoon myself :biggrin:).
Sorry for so many questions, I just wanna get it right! :biggrin:
Reply 386
singles
:smile:
Reply 387
Wahooo I'm applying to Sidney for 2009 - going down tomorrow for the open day on wed, should be good :smile:
Sorry to ask another room question, but I checked back in the thread and I can't find anyone else asking a room with a similar number. Where's 16C?
I got my offer confirmed quite late on, so I dunno if that would affect where I was put...
That number makes no sense to me at all... :s
Reply 390
can anyone tell me what the dress code is for the matriculation dinner?
will guys need suits etc?
Reply 391
there should be somehting in the massive pile of stuff you got on results day about dress code, but from what i remember it would be a dark suit for guys
Reply 392
hi sorry if this question has been asked before but what do girls wear for matriculation? is a dress too much. Also does anyone know what room CD03 is like? cheers!
Reply 393
Amus, check out the facebook group, there's a lot there on the rooms, but briefly, CD03 is in Cromwell Court, a couple of minutes down the road from the main college site. the building contains a load of flats for 4 or 5 with a communal tv room. CD flat overlooks some houses so you'll have a nice view (look out for the house with the guinea pigs in the garden). you'll share a kitchen and bathroom with 3 others. your room is medium sized and has a sink. i cant tell you exactly what it'll be like because cromwell is being redone over the summer vacation.
hope that helps
Reply 394
thanks yea i just wanted to get a rough idea of how big is was so that i would no how much or how little to bring! cheers
Reply 395
I think i have a sink? do i have a sink-CB08? i would like a sink, i think :biggrin:
Well the old style Cromwell rooms have sinks, so I would imagine they will keep the sink or update them when they do the refurb. So yes, you will have a sink! Though unless things change dramatically, not much wardrob space. I ended up buying a little plastic drawers set (there's some pictures somewhere on this thread) for underwear and PJs and stuff. Don't worry too much about bringing lots of stuff. I had ****** loads and it more or less fitted!
quite a random question about addresses!
If I'm giving out my term time address
do I just put

Simon Gibbons
Sidney Sussex College
Cambridge
CB2 3HU

and then the porters would put it in my pigeon hole?

or is there more to write than that, i cant see anywhere which says what to do!

(my rooms in cromwell if that helps!)

Many Thanks :smile:
Reply 398
thelostchild
I just put

Simon Gibbons
Sidney Sussex College
Cambridge
CB2 3HU

and then the porters would put it in my pigeon hole?

This is correct.
datr
This is correct.

much appreciated thanks for clarifying :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending