The Student Room Group

Cambridge Archaeology Admissions Assessment

Hello 👋 I am looking to apply to Cambridge for an archaeology BA. I've looked at past admissions assessments but would appreciate any general advice on how to structure my answers to questions e.g. like a history a level essay? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

I'm not an archeologist, I am going to do History and Politics at Cambridge, but I did the History Admissions Assessment, and approached it largely like an A-Level essay.

I just did a quick Google of the Archeology assessment, and the structure is similar. I got two extract and was essentially asked how they differ what a historian could tell from these extracts about the time period. I wrote an introduction outlining the main points that were raised and summarising the perspectives of each extract. I then did 2 big paragraphs comparing two themes (I would have done 3 but got carried away with the first one...). I then wrote a conclusion, which focused in particular on what the two sources and the nature of their disagreement could tell us about the time.

At the end of the day it's an essay, so the best thing to do is to approach it how you've always approached essays at school. They're not looking for any particular structure, they just want clear presentation of ideas so they can easily see how you think about the extract.

Please do get in touch if you have any further questions about your application process, I'd be very happy to help.

What college are you thinking of applying for?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ed_parker
I'm not an archeologist, I do History and Politics at Cambridge, but I did the History Admissions Assessment, and approached it largely like an A-Level essay.

I just did a quick Google of the Archeology assessment, and the structure is similar. I got two extract and was essentially asked how they differ what a historian could tell from these extracts about the time period. I wrote an introduction outlining the main points that were raised and summarising the perspectives of each extract. I then did 2 big paragraphs comparing two themes (I would have done 3 but got carried away with the first one...). I then wrote a conclusion, which focused in particular on what the two sources and the nature of their disagreement could tell us about the time.

At the end of the day it's an essay, so the best thing to do is to approach it how you've always approached essays at school. They're not looking for any particular structure, they just want clear presentation of ideas so they can easily see how you think about the extract.

Please do get in touch if you have any further questions about your application process, I'd be very happy to help.

What college are you thinking of applying for?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed response - you'll definitely be my go-to person for any other Cambridge related queries 😂 I am thinking of applying to Newnham. Which college do you go to and would you recommend it?
Original post by Arabellaran
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed response - you'll definitely be my go-to person for any other Cambridge related queries 😂 I am thinking of applying to Newnham. Which college do you go to and would you recommend it?

Aha not a problem, there were so many people who helped me out with my statement and interview prep, so I'm very happy to do what I can.

I did a gap year so I haven't actually started yet, I am going to Clare College in October. It's about mid-sized in a good location, and the history tutors are really interesting. I basically came up with a shortlist of three or four colleges I quite liked, and combed through the websites looking at which academics I thought seemed most interesting etc. Ultimately everyone ends up loving their college anyway from what I've heard. I'll let you know how I get on at Clare!
Original post by ed_parker
Aha not a problem, there were so many people who helped me out with my statement and interview prep, so I'm very happy to do what I can.

I did a gap year so I haven't actually started yet, I am going to Clare College in October. It's about mid-sized in a good location, and the history tutors are really interesting. I basically came up with a shortlist of three or four colleges I quite liked, and combed through the websites looking at which academics I thought seemed most interesting etc. Ultimately everyone ends up loving their college anyway from what I've heard. I'll let you know how I get on at Clare!

I've looked at photos of Clare and it seems very beautiful. I hope you have a lovely start there, and I'd love to know how you find it :smile:
Original post by Arabellaran
Hello 👋 I am looking to apply to Cambridge for an archaeology BA. I've looked at past admissions assessments but would appreciate any general advice on how to structure my answers to questions e.g. like a history a level essay? Thank you

Hey, I'm in the same boat rn, also feeling a bit confused about the assessment. If you wanna pm me we could maybe share some answers and see if we have any advice/feedback for each other. If not good luck with your application :smile:
Hey, I'm in the same boat rn, I've done a couple of practises but not entirely sure if I'm on the right lines, do you wanna maybe swap some answers and see if we have any potential advice for eachother?
Original post by HannahB4567
Hey, I'm in the same boat rn, also feeling a bit confused about the assessment. If you wanna pm me we could maybe share some answers and see if we have any advice/feedback for each other. If not good luck with your application :smile:

That sounds great :smile: tbh I've not started anything this Summer, but I'll keep you updated when I start practicing in September. Which college are you applying to?
Probably Fitzwilliam, but I also really like Jesus Lmk when you've done a practise and we can try to help eachother :smile:
Hi, I’ve got my assessment for archaeology on monday, all the past papers i’ve done are so hard and daunting. Does anyone have any tips or perhaps example answers to help me? thanks :smile:
I've got mine on Monday all the past papers I've done so far are so daunting and hard, any tips or example answers to help? Thanks :smile:
How did everyone find the assessment this morning? I assume everyone did it at the same time regardless of the college they've applied to.
(edited 1 year ago)
I don’t wanna say too much in case I break the “don’t talk about it rule” but I think it went ok. It’s hard to know exactly how well it went but I think my points were coherent so that’s something. How did everyone else’s go?
I think I'm fairly happy with how it went. Did you answer questions for the first or second extract? Also, what prep did you do, and do you think it helped? I think the practice papers were very helpful to get an idea of what it would be like, which I was pleased about as I'd based all my prep on those.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RMOwens
I think I'm fairly happy with how it went. Did you answer questions for the first or second extract? Also, what prep did you do, and do you think it helped? I think the practice papers were fairly reflective of what it ended up being, which I was pleased about as I'd based all my prep on those. (I doubt they would take offence to saying any of that!)

I did the first one I think. What about you?
I mostly did the past papers too. I think I did about 6 full practice ones, then today and yesterday I practiced planning a few more. I’m really glad we had 90 minutes for the final thing though. I did most of my practices in 60 and was really struggling with the time. What college are you applying to?
I did the first one I think. What about you?
I mostly did the past papers too. I think I did about 6 full practice ones, then today and yesterday I practiced planning a few more. I’m really glad we had 90 minutes for the final thing though. I did most of my practices in 60 and was really struggling with the time. What college are you applying to?

I did the first one like you - the other one focussed on parts of the course I'm a little less excited about.
I only had time to do one full practice, but even for that the 60 minutes really was very tight! I had a teacher who was willing to give some general writing feedback, which was helpful, and I planned answers for a few others as well.
I'm applying to Peterhouse. I went to an open day, and it was just really pleasant. I like how small it is too - I looked at Newnham as well, which was perfectly nice, but just felt so busy and big in comparison. What about you?
(edited 1 year ago)
I’ve never been to Peterhouse, but it does look really nice. I’m applying to Fitzwilliam, mostly cause I’ve been there twice and everyone is really lovely. Good luck for your interview :smile:
I’ve never been to Peterhouse, but it does look really nice. I’m applying to Fitzwilliam, mostly cause I’ve been there twice and everyone is really lovely. Good luck for your interview :smile:

You too! I still haven't received confirmation of exactly when it will be (or even if it's only one - I think Peterhouse usually do two), which I'm little nervous about, but I felt so much better after being emailed that I would have one at all.
Hi, I did the second extract the first one looked quite hard, i actually ran out of time unfortunately and didn’t get to do a conclusion for my second question which i’m worrying about, but it is what it is i guess haha. I’ve not received any interview times or names of my interviewers too but i know some people from other colleges have so i’m slightly worried. How is everyone feeling overall about the test this morning?
Hi! I’m a student who’s applied to Cambridge for archeology this year, but there’s not a student room yet that I can see. I was just wondering how much you typically wrote for the essay? I am practicing but am only getting about a page done in 30 mins, as I’m a pretty slow typer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending