The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jezzer69
Hey andrew im a 2011 applicant applying for econ at sidney. I got some questions to ask and i would really appreciate ur time. Did u get invited for an interview?? if so wat was the admission test like and wat sort of questions they ask at interview??
Thanks again for ur time..

Hi Jezzer69, Im applying for economics at SS this year, it will be great if you cna tell me some informations about the questions at the 'short test' and what sort of questions they ask you in the interview. If you have any tips to tell me, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help in advance
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by vasehedar
my econ interview was ACTUAL bad: the micro director was saying stuff like: "no, no you're not trying hard enough...., and generally been negative.

The 1st interview was supposed to be about 30min, but i was told to go aftter 20min, and he left the room immed after me in a hurry so i guess it wasn't the most ideal interview either!

(Originally Posted by Jezzer69)
Hi vasehedar, Im applying for economics at SS this year, it will be great if you cna tell me some informations about the questions at the 'short test' and what sort of questions they ask you in the interview. If you have any tips to tell me, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help in advance
Hi guys,
My name is Peter and I am a first year at Sidney Sussex studying Engineering. I'm happy to try to answer any questions you have, I may not be the best person to answer course specific questions but I can try to put you in touch with people who might know the answers.
Reply 783
Original post by peterbirch
Hi guys,
My name is Peter and I am a first year at Sidney Sussex studying Engineering. I'm happy to try to answer any questions you have, I may not be the best person to answer course specific questions but I can try to put you in touch with people who might know the answers.

Hey, thank you for your suggestion. Do you know anyone that studies architecture in sidney sussex?
Original post by jaychang
Hey, thank you for your suggestion. Do you know anyone that studies architecture in sidney sussex?

I do - I'm not sure how much you have heard about college families (ask and I'll explain if you don't know anything) but my college sister and mother study architecture. What would you like to know?
Reply 785
I do - I'm not sure how much you have heard about college families (ask and I'll explain if you don't know anything) but my college sister and mother study architecture. What would you like to know?

sorry for late reply. well, could you ask them if there is any advice they could give me for preparing for interview? mine is in two days, and I'm starting to doubt myself on everything. :biggrin: Also, just in general, what it's like learning architecture in Sidney Sussex. If they enjoy it, what it's actually like, etc. Thank you in advance
does anyone have any idea of what the 1 hour admissions test for economics is gonna be like?
Original post by jaychang
sorry for late reply. well, could you ask them if there is any advice they could give me for preparing for interview? mine is in two days, and I'm starting to doubt myself on everything. :biggrin: Also, just in general, what it's like learning architecture in Sidney Sussex. If they enjoy it, what it's actually like, etc. Thank you in advance

I'm so sorry - I have only just seen this and its been two days (oops). I've sent a message to an architect with your questions. In terms of preparation for an interview get a practice interview with a friend or your school/college - often helps just to see how you can work with a question you're not expecting. Also try to think of a question to ask them - even if its just about the course - shows that you have a real interest in the course. I'm not sure how much help this is going to be as its so late - sorry!
Hi jaychang,

My college sister wrote the following response:

"My response would be don't worry too much, and don't doubt yourself. I started to doubt myself before my interview and it doesn't help as you can't think straight and you end up worrying more than anything else. Just keep calm and think that you wouldn't have got this far if you weren't of the right standard.
In preparation for the interview, make sure you know what's in your personal statement well and expect as few questions on it. Also don't be too alarmed if they don't spend very long on your portfolio as they know what they are looking for and so will go over it quickly. They want to see that you are passionate about your work so put in those pieces that you like the best and explain a small amount about each piece as they look at it.
When in the interview don't panic if your not sure about an answer. The interviewers at Sidney are really nice and will help and try and steer you onto the right track if you are struggling, so try and give some sort of response but if you really don't know just say so and they will help guide you further. Also if your unsure about your answer maybe try and explain your thoughts behind the answer, almost like taking the interviewers through the steps of your reasoning. I think that's what I did and it seemed to help.
It might also help for you to have a general idea of the different eras of architecture but I do emphasize general. Don't panic if you don't know any you just need a really general idea.
Finally I would say relax and remember the interviewers are not out to get you as you may think but they are trying to see if you would fit into the style of teaching so the interviews run a little bit like a supervision might.
As for studying at Sidney, I'm really enjoying it. It is very hard work, and very time consuming but it is great fun. The advantage of such a small department is that you can really get to know everyone. Also Sidney is the first college to set up its own architecture society (Sidney Desiyn Group - Desiyn is an anagram of Sidney) and our plan is to have reviews of work where all the Sidney students look at each others work and suggest improvements. These are very helpful to prepare you for the reviews you have at the end of each project so you've definitely applied to the right college .
I hope this was helpful
Kate"
Reply 789
:tongue: Wooh offer for 2013 at Sidney! Anyone else?

Current students- whats sidney like? Do people like to go out to bars/clubs etc or is it more work work work?
Looks so pretty! Really excited to come - just hope i get the grades!
Original post by Gertty_P
:tongue: Wooh offer for 2013 at Sidney! Anyone else?

Current students- whats sidney like? Do people like to go out to bars/clubs etc or is it more work work work?
Looks so pretty! Really excited to come - just hope i get the grades!

Congrats!
What's your offer? Which course are you applying for.

My is Physical Nat.Sci., 2A*2As. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi guys,

Whats sidney like? I guess everyones different, are people bookworms not wanting to go out? Or do sidney'ites' normally go out to clubs/bars etc?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by Waves_1995
Whats sidney like? I guess everyones different, are people bookworms not wanting to go out? Or do sidney'ites' normally go out to clubs/bars etc?

Hi, I assume you've just got a sidney offer? If so congratulations! I'm a current student here and love it, just like at every uni we're all different, but yes in general we do go out, whether it's just popping down to our brilliant college bar, or out to the clubs/pubs. Of course we have plenty of work, and some people prefer to go out more than others, but it's manageable and basically up to you what you want to do - you'll certainly always find people who share your interests :smile:
Original post by afs2
Hi, I assume you've just got a sidney offer? If so congratulations! I'm a current student here and love it, just like at every uni we're all different, but yes in general we do go out, whether it's just popping down to our brilliant college bar, or out to the clubs/pubs. Of course we have plenty of work, and some people prefer to go out more than others, but it's manageable and basically up to you what you want to do - you'll certainly always find people who share your interests :smile:

Wooh sounds great, really excited! :colondollar: What's the accomodation like? Which freshser accomodation has the best atmosphere and which is best quality? cromwell, garden or sussex house?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 794
Wooh sounds great, really excited! :colondollar: What's the accomodation like? Which freshser accomodation has the best atmosphere and which is best quality? cromwell, garden or sussex house?

All the accommodation is decent, does vary room to room though, a few rooms are massive, some are a bit smaller, but I had a smallish one in first year and I still had room for all my stuff. Only thing you don't really get in 1st year is a decent kitchen, but you tend to get one in 2nd/3rd year. Cromwell has a great atmosphere since it's Freshers only, own TV Room to hang out in/for pre-drinks, I liked the place. Garden Court/Sussex House a bit more convenient for things like hall/bar/gym/library since they're in college, but then Cromwell is only like 3 mins away. It doesn't matter too much where you get allocated in the end!
Hellooo there, offer for Law! (I finished IB last November because I live in Australia, so no stressing about grades!) What's life like for Law students at Sidney, does anyone know? Why does everyone say Cromwell has a better atmosphere, do you mean there's more inner mini partying going on or something? :P Does the noise ever get too loud that it's difficult to study? Also, how far is the walk from Sidney to the Law lectures? Super excited to go, hurry up October. :biggrin:
Original post by afs2
All the accommodation is decent, does vary room to room though, a few rooms are massive, some are a bit smaller, but I had a smallish one in first year and I still had room for all my stuff. Only thing you don't really get in 1st year is a decent kitchen, but you tend to get one in 2nd/3rd year. Cromwell has a great atmosphere since it's Freshers only, own TV Room to hang out in/for pre-drinks, I liked the place. Garden Court/Sussex House a bit more convenient for things like hall/bar/gym/library since they're in college, but then Cromwell is only like 3 mins away. It doesn't matter too much where you get allocated in the end!

Sounds good to me :smile: My teacher was never particularly fond of the college (he went to cam) but i think it sounds good despite the lack of an 'old fashioned library' and more smallish- i think the location and gardens makes up for it :smile: How does it really compare to other colleges though?
anyone know if they provide mini fridges?
anyone know if they provide mini fridges?

I'm pretty sure that every room has one.
Original post by tommm
I'm pretty sure that every room has one.

Cheers, also whats the probability of getting a more 'classic cambridge' room at sidney? how many rooms is there in cloister altogether and is there anywhere else that has older rooms?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending