The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
what kind of information are you after? there are approximately 2-4 people studying SPS every year in Sidney. I take MML unfortunately, but if you have any SPS specific questions I can get someone to help you with those. As far as I'm aware, everyone enjoys what they study, they don't seem to have any problems with their course or resources.

what summer school are you going on?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I was just wondering what in particular people enjoy about Sidney and specifically what any SPS students enjoy about the course.

As for the summer school I am doing a History course for a week from the 9th July. I don't think there is an SPS one but History interests me too so it wont be bad.
The guy that smiles back
I was just wondering what in particular people enjoy about Sidney and specifically what any SPS students enjoy about the course.

I like that Sidney is small and that the vast majority of students and staff are lovely. If you've got a problem they bend over backwards to helo you. It's location is fantastic and when you're in the gardens you can almost forget you're in the middle of town. Plus very handy for Sainsburys. The bar is cheap, if not exactly classy, but it's very cosy and 'ours' cos it's student run. Um.....I'll keep thinking.
*Joanna*
I like that Sidney is small and that the vast majority of students and staff are lovely. If you've got a problem they bend over backwards to helo you. It's location is fantastic and when you're in the gardens you can almost forget you're in the middle of town. Plus very handy for Sainsburys. The bar is cheap, if not exactly classy, but it's very cosy and 'ours' cos it's student run. Um.....I'll keep thinking.

Thanks, that confirms the opinion I got on Saturday when I visited.
Would just like to take this opportunity to bid you all farewell.
I can promise you know I have not met my (STEP based) offer, and so if I am at Cambridge next year it will be due to my sparkling telephone manner.
Nice 'meeting' you all.

G
Reply 145
The guy that smiles back
Thanks, that confirms the opinion I got on Saturday when I visited.

If you're on sutton trust, there should be a sidney 2nd year historian there as a helper - she's the former access officer as well, and will be able to give you lots of information about the college. You can probably ask for a more in-depth tour if you want one!
Reply 146
GordonP
Would just like to take this opportunity to bid you all farewell.
I can promise you know I have not met my (STEP based) offer, and so if I am at Cambridge next year it will be due to my sparkling telephone manner.
Nice 'meeting' you all.

G

No need to be so defeatist! At least wait until august. and more importantly, enjoy your summer and don't worry about exam results, after 3 years your Alevels will probably blend into insignificance anyway.
I miss my ensuite shower :frown: Priya, have you seen the pictures of the Dean fresh out the paddling pool at the NatSci garden party on Facebook? I thought he'd object to getting thrown in- Drs Storoni and Hennings ran away!
My ALevel exams were ok, the STEP papers are like the old entrance exams and were horrible....
But suppose I shouldnt be quite soo negative - might not have completely failed :rolleyes:
GordonP
But suppose I shouldnt be quite soo negative - might not have completely failed :rolleyes:

Precisely, don't count your chickens. Or something...
Reply 150
im just keeping my fingers crossed! it's just a long wait.
Reply 151
To anyone waiting for exam results, try your best to enjoy the summer and don't talk yourself into believing you've failed! The marking is out of your hands. You have a year of hard work and study ahead of you wherever you end up (HOPEFULLY Sidney obviously), so make the most of your freedom!

Keep smiling,
Ruthie x x :biggrin:
Reply 152
hey! what's classics like at sidney? are there any sidney classicists here on tsr?
Reply 153
Hey,
I'm not a classicist, but I lived with three classicists this year, and my best friend at Sidney does Classics so I might be able to help.....
The workload, from what I can tell is quite tough. You'll get an essay a week, on top of translations and prac crits. The lectures and essays my friend was given covered philosophy, history and art - she had supervisions in these topics, as well as language classes. Reading the texts that you will be tested on in your exam is something that you're expected to do off your own back - this is something you might spend your evenings/holidays doing.
My friend is on holiday at the moment, but if you're interested in knowing about the course in detail, I can let her know :smile:
You might even get her as a college mum......

Ruthie x
Reply 154
Hey,
I'm not a classicist, but I lived with three classicists this year, and my best friend at Sidney does Classics so I might be able to help.....
The workload, from what I can tell is quite tough. You'll get an essay a week, on top of translations and prac crits. The lectures and essays my friend was given covered philosophy, history and art - she had supervisions in these topics, as well as language classes. Reading the texts that you will be tested on in your exam is something that you're expected to do off your own back - this is something you might spend your evenings/holidays doing.
My friend is on holiday at the moment, but if you're interested in knowing about the course in detail, I can let her know
You might even get her as a college mum......

Ruthie x

hey,
thanks for answering so quickly!
well, unfortunately I'm not a Sidney classicist yet but i want to apply to cambridge for classics 2008, still being unsure which college to choose, though. i can't decide between sidney and some other colleges.
therefore i would find it really useful to be able to talk to your friend, just in order to ask her some questions, such as, what the dos is like, what their quota is with regards to accepting international applicants, what her interview was like, what the general athmosphere amongst the classicists at sidney as well as all the sidneyites is like etc.
Reply 155
Don't worry about accommodation.

On results day Sidney will send you a pack of stuff, including information about which room you've been allocated. It is at this point that you can start badgering internet people for information about what your room is like!
Duncan S
Don't worry about accommodation.

On results day Sidney will send you a pack of stuff, including information about which room you've been allocated. It is at this point that you can start badgering internet people for information about what your room is like!

Is that Duncan S as in 3rd year (that sounds a bit wrong) Engineer Duncan? *waves*
Reply 157
yes its me!

Doesn't sound right to say 3rd year, I can't believe its been that long.

*waves vigorously*
Duncan S
yes its me!

Doesn't sound right to say 3rd year, I can't believe its been that long.

*waves vigorously*

Lol, you're ok- you've got two years left, I've only got one! Have you got kiddies this year?
Reply 159
True enough- I'm childless this year, it never occured to me to get a new batch so i'll have to make do with being a grandparent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending