The Student Room Group

Sharp rise in halal abattoirs slaughtering animals without stunning them first.

Perhaps we should just ban all Halal and Kosher meat from the UK? Personally I think it makes no sense to appease and tolerate religious ritual slaughtering methods in a country as humane and advanced as Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11378667/Sharp-rise-in-halal-abattoirs-slaughtering-animals-without-stunning-them-first.html

As far as I know SubWay in the UK is now all Halal. Many UK hospitals now serve only Halal slaughtered meat in their visitors restaurants. How can Britain be so Halal when the vast majority of it's citizens are purportedly non-Muslim? Aggressive bullish campaigning I gather. It appears they don't care a damn for what British non-Muslims prefer to eat, as long as their wants are met. The situation speaks for itself and it's about time British non-Muslims grew a backbone and stuck up for their human rights too. I'm all for soundly reasoned improvement and change but Britain seems to be sliding all too easily into a dystopian alternate reality, becoming increasingly disconnected from itself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marco1
Perhaps we should just ban all Halal and Kosher meat from the UK? Personally I think it makes no sense to appease and tolerate religious ritual slaughtering methods in a country as humane and advanced as Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11378667/Sharp-rise-in-halal-abattoirs-slaughtering-animals-without-stunning-them-first.html

As far a I know SubWay in the UK is now all Halal. Many UK hospitals now serve only Halal slaughtered meat in their visitors restaurants. How can Britain be so Halal when the vast majority of it's citizens are purportedly non-Muslim? Aggressive bullish campaigning I gather. It appears they don't care a damn for what British non-Muslims prefer to eat, as long as their wants are met. The situation speaks for itself and it's about time British non-Muslims grew a backbone and stuck up for their human rights too. I'm all for soundly reasoned improvement and change but Britain seems to be sliding all too easily into a dystopian alternate reality, becoming increasingly disconnected from itself.

The trade needs to be restricted to muslim and jews only but yes a complete ban should be the desired outcome for this

Just because they are allowed to be cruel to animals doesn't mean we should all be allowed to benefit from that cruelty nor should we be allowed to use their exemption from animal cruelty laws to circumvent the standards we desire in our meat production
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually find it insane at how normatively accepted this is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marco1
Perhaps we should just ban all Halal and Kosher meat from the UK?

To be fair, as far as I am aware, Kosher killing allows the butcher to cut from the back of the neck severing the spinal cord killing the animal quickly. Whilst not ideal, it's still not comparable with Islamic Halal, were the cut is made from the front-to-back and the spinal cord is left intact so the animal can bleed to death.

Basically if you've been unlucky enough to see a beheading video, that's Halal.
Also UK Jewry and forcing the rest of us to eat Kosher and demanding non-Kosher be taken off the shelves.......
Reply 4
Original post by JohnCrichton89
To be fair, as far as I am aware, Kosher killing allows the butcher to cut from the back of the neck severing the spinal cord killing the animal quickly. Whilst not ideal, it's still not comparable with Islamic Halal, were the cut is made from the front-to-back and the spinal cord is left intact so the animal can bleed to death.

Basically if you've been unlucky enough to see a beheading video, that's Halal.
Also UK Jewry and forcing the rest of us to eat Kosher and demanding non-Kosher be taken off the shelves.......

Fair enough, that is a reasonable point you make.

I still question though, not only the cruelty factor but also the place of religious animal slaughter in 21st Century UK. If ritualistic animal killing is more cruel/less humane than the normal State method then I would say that is pretty good reason alone to ban it. Also, do we want to encourage any religious ritual animal slaughter per se in Britain. It is primitive and anachronistic and not driven by process of human reasoning but by ancient religious textual prescription.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marco1
Fair enough, that is a reasonable point you make.

I still question though, not only the cruelty factor but also the place of religious animal slaughter in 21st Century UK. If ritualistic animal killing is more cruel/less humane than the normal State method then I would say that is pretty good reason alone to ban it. Also, do we want to encourage any religious ritual animal slaughter per se in Britain. It is primitive and anachronistic and not driven by process of human reasoning but by ancient religious textual prescription.

Give me a petition that goes against cruelty to animals and I'll sign it, with enough money in my pocket I'll source my meat, hell if everyone just went vegetarian and banned meat I'd play along.

But when dealing with problems like this, we have to criticise the worst the most. Lumping them all in together gives these groups a united vote, its much easier to divide and conquer.

Take on the worst first, get Halal gone. Then go after Kosher, then ....... don't go after all religious demographics at once. You'd only get them block voting.
Funny thing the mcdonalds you eat buy battery farmed chicken, yeah the ones where they're treated like ****??
But nah halal meat it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
But guys, it's a beautiful religion of peace and it's perfect.
Original post by Harvey Dent
But guys, it's a beautiful religion of peace and it's perfect.

haha bants
Original post by radicalboujie
Funny thing the mcdonalds you eat buy battery farmed chicken, yeah the ones where they're treated like ****??
But nah halal meat it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know there is no difference in how the animals are kept until they are slaughtered

but your argument is basic whataboutery but a very poor one
Original post by PopaPork
You do know there is no difference in how the animals are kept until they are slaughtered

but your argument is basic whataboutery but a very poor one

Oh so the argument here is its NOT about how the animals live, not about their welfare AT ALL. But the way their slaughtered??
Battery farmed animals who are pumped with drugs grow so big their legs snap and their short lives are spend disabled, disfigured but........nvm
It's muzlamic halal meat gonna colonise the world innit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh so the argument here is its NOT about how the animals live, not about their welfare AT ALL. But the way their slaughtered??
Battery farmed animals who are pumped with drugs grow so big their legs snap and their short lives are spend disabled, disfigured but........nvm
It's muzlamic halal meat gonna colonise the world innit

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you fail to understand

the animals are kept in identical conditions until they are slaughtered so you saying 'you eat battery chickens' is irrelevant to the issue because so do you so your argument about drugs treatment etc... has no impact on the issue (do you think muslims get their chickens from different sources than everyone else:biggrin:)

the only difference is if you eat halal you add that little bit of cruelty on at the end when it is unnecessary

But I can see you have your mind made up about this so hey ho..
No you fail to understand

the animals are kept in identical conditions until they are slaughtered so you saying 'you eat battery chickens' is irrelevant to the issue because so do you so your argument about drugs treatment etc... has no impact on the issue (do you think muslims get their chickens from different sources than everyone else:biggrin:)

the only difference is if you eat halal you add that little bit of cruelty on at the end when it is unnecessary

But I can see you have your mind made up about this so hey ho..

It's hilarious because I actually thought u were the types to ACTUALLY care about animal rights "that little bit of cruelty at the end" made me laugh tbf.
Also if ur sooo disgusted by the treatment of animals become a vegan. Simple.
Saying kosher and halal meat is cruel is as ridiculous while at the same time u used to ignore their treatment whilst they were alive. Fam islam and Judaism won't leave get wid the winning team

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's hilarious because I actually thought u were the types to ACTUALLY care about animal rights "that little bit of cruelty at the end" made me laugh tbf.
Also if ur sooo disgusted by the treatment of animals become a vegan. Simple.
Saying kosher and halal meat is cruel is as ridiculous while at the same time u used to ignore their treatment whilst they were alive. Fam islam and Judaism won't leave get wid the winning team

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difference is we are always trying to improve the welfare of animals in the UK

and on the whole we do which is why you have to be a Jew or a Muslim (no one else would be allowed) to use the barbaric slaughter method of throat slitting without pre stunning

But it does seem like you are saying 'because animal cruelty exists we can still be cruel'

But do remember you have the exemption to the rules that everyone else has to follow and for those of us who believe in animal rights the exemption is abhorrent

But don't worry we'll win in the end:biggrin:
1) Animals die daily in the wild in much more ferocious environments

2) Halal/Kosher killings are faster and more humane than such natural wild killings

3) If you truly care about the animals, then go protest barn chickens, who live in cramped conditions, injected with chemicals and denied the right to ever see the sun. But then again, you probably love chicken too much to care
Original post by R Dragon

3) If you truly care about the animals, then go protest barn chickens, who live in cramped conditions, injected with chemicals and denied the right to ever see the sun. But then again, you probably love chicken too much to care

Some of us do 'protest barn chickens'

Does this mean I'm allowed to have an opinion?
I guess ISIL train their executioners on slaughtering live animals to desensitise themselves before turning the knives to humans.

The food industry is trying to kill two birds with one stone if you pardon the simile - keeping the Muslim population happy with halal whilst hiding it from the rest and thus keeping their own costs down and profits high. Economy of scale.

High time the food industry were forced to standardised labelling across the board so that we know exactly what we are buying and can then vote with our money.

They do it to the tobacco industry, why not meat products as well?

IMO halal and kosher slaughter should have no place in the 21st century developed world.

Islam and Judaism together account for less than 5% of the meat bought and in this country consumed on religious grounds. The rest of us have no idea what we are putting into our mouths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Some of us do 'protest barn chickens'

Does this mean I'm allowed to have an opinion?

That's jolly good for you :3

I never said you can't have an opinion. But I think it's absurd why people object to religious killings of animals o.o

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2150 people are gonna protest electrical execution of animals and instead opt for laser beams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by R Dragon
That's golly good for you :3

I never said you can't have an opinion. But I think it's absurd why people object to religious killings of animals o.o

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2150 people are gonna protest electrical execution of animals and instead opt for laser beams.

Do you think the issue of equality before the law is absurd?

That alone is worth EVERYONE objecting to slaughter on religious grounds
Do you think the issue of equality before the law is absurd?

That alone is worth EVERYONE objecting to slaughter on religious grounds

I don't really understand their reasons for objecting to the religious killings, but sure whatever

Quick Reply

Latest