The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Courses

Hi!
I am currently looking into Veterinary Medicine courses and I want to find out everything I can do to boost my application. I’ve looked at work experience, a veterinary coursera taster course and reading lists for each UK university. Is there anything else that I can do to stand out even more?
Loads and loads of work experience. I’m hoping to apply to Nottingham uni for veterinary medicine and they don’t look at predicted grades , but mainly at your personal statement and work experience , I’d try to get as much experience as you can with vets , and review the course spec so you’ve got a good idea of what your looking for, and just hope you get selected for an interview , good luck :smile:
Once you have enough work experience it is important that you show you have a life outside veterinary medicine, ideally something that will make you stand out from everyone else applying. Ideally it would be something that shows you have the right qualities to be a vet, e.g. resilience, empathy etc

Original post by faithper
Hi!
I am currently looking into Veterinary Medicine courses and I want to find out everything I can do to boost my application. I’ve looked at work experience, a veterinary coursera taster course and reading lists for each UK university. Is there anything else that I can do to stand out even more?
Reply 3
Original post by animalmagic
Once you have enough work experience it is important that you show you have a life outside veterinary medicine, ideally something that will make you stand out from everyone else applying. Ideally it would be something that shows you have the right qualities to be a vet, e.g. resilience, empathy etc

Would you say that doing DofE and Volunteer work is a good experience outside of veterinary?? If not what sort of stuff can I do? Thanks for the reply 😊
Work experience is the most important aspect, and lots of it.

Many applicants will be reapplying and will have an additional year to gain experience so it is not uncommon to be up against applicants that have gained 20+ weeks experience. While it is true that you do not need to have this much, the additional insight of the profession gained from this is what counts.

I would recommend seeing practice within a small animal veterinary practice and large/equine if possible also for a minimum of a week in each. Even seeing multiple different small animal practices can show beneficial as just because something is standard practice at one does not mean so at the other.

On top of this, and arguably more crucial, is animal husbandry experience. You won't realistically be able to do much at a vets but stand around and watch as you lack the skills/knowledge to be of much assistance but you can get stuck in with husbandry. As well as looking good on your application this benefits you by providing you with first hand experience of handling and caring for animals in different environments. And once again visiting another similar establishment is good for comparing standards and techniques.

I would say must haves animal husbandry wise are:
Lambing
Dairy
Dogs/cats - kennels and catteries or animal shelters
Equine - riding schools are a good place

These are pretty much core placements though if you can visit beef farms and piggeries this would be highly beneficial too.

Then there are bonus placements that you don't need to get an interview but can make you stand out on paper and in interview:
Abattoirs - would highly recommend, a large part of the profession is public health and on the course you will have to do compulsory public health placements
Veterinary laboratories - again - disease control/public health is a major part of the industry
Zoo's

As far as additional stuff, I never did it and know plenty on the course that both do and don't have Duke of Edinburgh. If its something you enjoy and feel you have time for then go for it!
Personally I was working before I applied and a lot of my interviews were focussed on my job (kennel supervisor) and how I dealt with situations/people.

As said in the post above think about the qualities that make a good vet, and how you can demonstrate you possess them
I wouldn't say that DoE is a good use of your spare time as it is too commonly done so it doesn't make you stand out from the crowd. Sport that requires discipline and time management or more unusual activities that involve teamwork and communication skills would be better in my opinion.

Would you say that doing DofE and Volunteer work is a good experience outside of veterinary?? If not what sort of stuff can I do? Thanks for the reply 😊
Original post by username2703735
Work experience is the most important aspect, and lots of it.
Many applicants will be reapplying and will have an additional year to gain experience so it is not uncommon to be up against applicants that have gained 20+ weeks experience. While it is true that you do not need to have this much, the additional insight of the profession gained from this is what counts.
I would recommend seeing practice within a small animal veterinary practice and large/equine if possible also for a minimum of a week in each. Even seeing multiple different small animal practices can show beneficial as just because something is standard practice at one does not mean so at the other.
On top of this, and arguably more crucial, is animal husbandry experience. You won't realistically be able to do much at a vets but stand around and watch as you lack the skills/knowledge to be of much assistance but you can get stuck in with husbandry. As well as looking good on your application this benefits you by providing you with first hand experience of handling and caring for animals in different environments. And once again visiting another similar establishment is good for comparing standards and techniques.
I would say must haves animal husbandry wise are:
Lambing
Dairy
Dogs/cats - kennels and catteries or animal shelters
Equine - riding schools are a good place
These are pretty much core placements though if you can visit beef farms and piggeries this would be highly beneficial too.
Then there are bonus placements that you don't need to get an interview but can make you stand out on paper and in interview:
Abattoirs - would highly recommend, a large part of the profession is public health and on the course you will have to do compulsory public health placements
Veterinary laboratories - again - disease control/public health is a major part of the industry
Zoo's
As far as additional stuff, I never did it and know plenty on the course that both do and don't have Duke of Edinburgh. If its something you enjoy and feel you have time for then go for it!
Personally I was working before I applied and a lot of my interviews were focussed on my job (kennel supervisor) and how I dealt with situations/people.
As said in the post above think about the qualities that make a good vet, and how you can demonstrate you possess them

Hi! I noticed that you already had a job as a kennel supervisor before you applied. I just wanted to ask you a few things. How long have you been working as a kennel supervisor before you applied, and how old were you when you started working?
Hi!

You seem pretty covered! The other fairly important thing is to be a well rounded applicant which could be through very different things. For me it was my job, DofE and my school newspaper. This all showed that I had a wide range of skills but also that I had hobbies and interests that would help to create a work life balance meaning that I could complete the course to the best of my ability. I spoke little in my worst statement about this things on briefly mentioning some of the skills gained but I spoke a lot more about them in further application forms and interviews so it definitely helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending