The Student Room Group

Town or Country?

I was just wondering what people on TSR thought about the city vs countryside thing. Which sort of area do you prefer and why? Both for living and for spending your spare time in.

I prefer the countryside. I grew up in a village not far from a National Park, and spent a lot of my childhood in the surrounding countryside. I prefer it for the scenery, the wildlife, and because it's easy to escape to somewhere quiet.

Just noticed my signature is pretty relevant too.

Scroll to see replies

I find the countryside pretty boring. The public transports crap, you have to be able to drive to get anywhere and as much as I love nature I also love films, gigs and a choice of venue to spend my evening at and eating out.

My partners family live in the country and I'm done after a week, it's full of old people driving 4 x 4s, everyone's white and there's Tory farmers being grumpy at you everywhere.
I quite like the countryside, it's peaceful and chillaxing.
THE COUNTRYSIDE. Although not too rural.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lived in the Dutch countryside all through my childhood, it was lovely I suppose, certainly brings back good memories!

Living in London now however I'd probably opt for City/Town just because there's more access/oppoturnities for things as opposed to the country side. More to do as well :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by redferry
I find the countryside pretty boring. The public transports crap, you have to be able to drive to get anywhere and as much as I love nature I also love films, gigs and a choice of venue to spend my evening at and eating out.

My partners family live in the country and I'm done after a week, it's full of old people driving 4 x 4s, everyone's white and there's Tory farmers being grumpy at you everywhere.

People that find countryside people grumpy is a very outsider opinion. I don't know one farmer that is actually a horrible person but there's a lot of suspicion of outsiders. But usually if you ask for help they'll be more than happy to.
Being a local to the Kent countryside I can say that country people really know how to have fun and are alot less snobby than city folk. i can't stand even going to a moderately small town let alone London. Part of the reason I withdrew from university was there was too many people and so much talking behind backs. In the country if there's a problem you usually tell the person.
Don't get me started with how rude city people are. They are all so narcissistic and sneer at anyone who constantly doesn't flaunt wealth.
Original post by kodlak
People that find countryside people grumpy is a very outsider opinion. I don't know one farmer that is actually a horrible person but there's a lot of suspicion of outsiders.

Thats odd given both my partner and his mum, who were born and brought up in the area would agree with me!!

But usually if you ask for help they'll be more than happy to.
Being a local to the Kent countryside I can say that country people really know how to have fun and are alot less snobby than city folk. i can't stand even going to a moderately small town let alone London. Part of the reason I withdrew from university was there was too many people and so much talking behind backs. In the country if there's a problem you usually tell the person.
Don't get me started with how rude city people are. They are all so narcissistic and sneer at anyone who constantly doesn't flaunt wealth.

Again, I would disagree, I find the countryside really gossipy! Old people popping round like 'ooh did you hear about Margery???' 'scandal'

Not surprised you don't get on well in cities with that kind of attitude! I don't think working class cities see flaunting wealth as a positive, you can tell you're experience is mainly from the South (don't judge every city by London, London is weird)
Growing up, definitely the city. I'd like to move away from London though. I think I'd be happier living in a 'smaller' town at the very least although I'm not sure about literally living in the countryside.
I live in Birmingham and I have to say, I'd love to get out of here. The countryside seems so peaceful, it'd be a nice change.
City. I love the huge number and variety of social/cultural opportunities that you get in a good city.
I've grown up in a big city and I'm happy with the lifestyle that it offers
Reply 11
While I like the countryside, I think I'd have to go with a city - I love all the hustle and bustle everywhere.

Original post by redferry

This is quite a generalisation of people in the country don't you think? Most old people don't drive 4x4s, not everyone is white and most of the farmers (at least around here) most certainly are not tory. Or grumpy. People in the cities tend to be a lot grumpier than people in the country anyways.
The countryside - living in the country you have all of the perks (fresh air, beautiful scenery to run/walk in, loads of outdoor activities, friendly people, peace & quiet, space, freedom in general) of that, and then you can hop on a train and enjoy the perks of the city if you fancy.

Whereas living in a city you're basically trapped in that it's mostly cramped, hectic, dirty, smelly, unfriendly and you spend almost all your time indoors. Which is understandable because outdoors isn't very nice. Yes there's plenty to do, but I wouldn't spend 100% of my time in a city just for the sake of that. For me it's preferable to travel to a city (which also makes it somehow more of a treat) and get my fix, then be able to get out again at the end of the day.

People are nicer the further away from cities you go, in my experience. People become less depersonalised by the huge throng of people. In London if I go running round the parks I basically ignore everyone else. In more rural areas if I go running and see another runner or anybody else, we exchange smiles/waves or say hi. It's a symptom of everybody being more relaxed and being happy to see other people instead of enduring them!
(edited 9 years ago)
Some parts of the countryside are nice, but I don't think it outweighs the benefits or convenience of being close to a city or town centre. There's no way I can afford to run a car, and where some of my friends live in the countryside the only transport is one slow bus an hour, finishing at 5pm, which is completely impractical if you want any sort of independence as a young person. I suppose somewhere in the countryside with good railway connections would be a good balance.

Also, a lot of the time the countryside isn't that useful, if it's winter and you're indoors (which makes up a sizable portion of the year) being in the countryside isn't of much use.
Original post by jameswhughes
Also, a lot of the time the countryside isn't that useful, if it's winter and you're indoors (which makes up a sizable portion of the year) being in the countryside isn't of much use.

Depends on the person, I think. If you like walking/jogging/sailing/whatever activities outdoors, all you need to do is add a few layers in winter and ditch them in summer. Although having said that I do know some people who would agree with you and spend all winter sitting around indoors, I think it just depends on your attitude and maybe how you were brought up.

I do agree that you need to be able to drive (or have friends who can/live by a railway line) to make the most of living outside a city though. I well remember the days of waiting for the one bus that comes on a Sunday...
I prefer areas that are still urban but the bus or a drive could get you to some gorgeous countryside in 10 minutes.
I like a bit of both.
Original post by Chlorophile
I think I'd be happier living in a 'smaller' town at the very least although I'm not sure about literally living in the countryside.

The village I grew up in isn't that small, it's population is somewhere between 4000 and 5000 people. I'd still think of my village as a rural area because of its size and the immediate surroundings is countryside. I think you do have to be careful when defining city and countryside, and deciding where the line is.
Original post by RFowler
The village I grew up in isn't that small, it's population is somewhere between 4000 and 5000 people. I'd still think of my village as a rural area because of its size and the immediate surroundings is countryside. I think you do have to be careful when defining city and countryside, and deciding where the line is.

I mean honestly, I can't really imagine living in a village with that few people. If you grow up in a city with almost 10 million people, that's a bit of a shock! My grandparents live in a little village of about that size in Germany (maybe a little bigger) and it's nice but there's not that much going on. You have to commute for quite a while to get anywhere and that's a pain, it's just not that convenient or efficient. I like the size of a town like Oxford, I think that size of a place I could be happy with.
I'm a city girl and I Iove big parks - especially when they are next to big avenues.
I am also allergic to a crapload of grass and flowers and I hate insects so countryside is rather uncomfortable for me. And I usually get bored after spending three days in the countryside.

Quick Reply

Latest