The Student Room Group

The current situation in Israel/Gaza is having an impact on my friendships

I have many colleagues from Arab towns and even some in the west bank or from the west bank. I was in good terms with them, even had (still have) some closer friends there, we are a bit more than colleagues. I have some even closer friend from an Arab town in Israel. We both never were into politics and were just treating each other as humans.

After October 7th it all changed. Like we still meet, but the meetings and calls are strictly professional and you can see from the looks of any of us that no side wants to talk to each other. I hate that.

I'm not really a people's person, I'm rather shy and quiet in companies, but one on one or in a group of people I know I can be very active. I miss the interaction, I miss just the hugs when meeting each other (we are all females) and I miss their company. Recently I was back from being ill and couldn't meet them personally, I arrived at the clinic where one of them works and the reaction was pretty cold. I can feel the tension and the unwillingness to communicate. We are still on good terms, professionally, but everything feels different.
After the meeting I just wrote on whatsapp to her that it was nice finally meeting her after almost half a year and I wish things would normalize in our country. All I got is a simple "yes".

With neighbors things are slightly better but still not like it was before.

I just had to write it all.
Reply 1
:hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
:hugs:

Thank you!
I have noticed something very similar where I work .
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have noticed something very similar where I work .

Me too ! The world is going to a hell in a hand basket very quickly my compatriot.
Original post by NewJobStarter
Me too ! The world is going to a hell in a hand basket very quickly my compatriot.

you are right , it is indeed a sad day for working colleagues.
you are right , it is indeed a sad day for working colleagues.

Just try not to think too much about it.
Original post by NewJobStarter
Just try not to think too much about it.

Easier said than done .
Can I f yours ?

Well that went south pretty quick .

But em , sure . Private message me !
Reply 9
And you guys are not in Israel. WOW I didn't think it effects other countries so much too.
Original post by Kathy89
And you guys are not in Israel. WOW I didn't think it effects other countries so much too.

I’m in Paristine.

The Parisian Palestine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending