The Student Room Group

Why do you need a PS4 or Xbox One?

Do I need a PS4 or Xbox One?

I'm looking to buy a PS4 or Xbox One quite soon but I was thinking would I be better off with a PC. I am thinking of buying some sort of a computer (although I am undecided whether I will), so I started thinking could I kill two birds with one stone and get myself some sort of a computer which could double up as a games console. The PC gamers are always going on about how a computer is superior to a console in terms of graphics, speed, storage etc.

The only two cons of not buying a PS4 or Xbox One I can think of would be:

1) I would not be able to play online with my friends.

2) I would miss out on a few games which are released exclusively to either the PS4 or Xbox One.

The thing is I wouldn't mind not being able to play online with my friends. I've done the whole 'online gaming' thing on my PS3 and I can do without it, I'd rather play games offline by myself or with my brother and I think I would also be able to do without the exclusive titles.

For instance couldn't I buy an Apple Mac Mini (download Windows OS if needed) and connect that to my HD TV (so I would have a monitor while preserving my traditional gaming experience), buy a CD/DVD drive and connect that to the Apple Mac Mini (so I can use discs) and buy a couple of PS4/Xbox One controllers and sync them to the Apple Mac Mini?
(edited 9 years ago)
The GPU of the Mac mini is not really what you want. For the same price you could self build a nice rig.
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
The GPU of the Mac mini is not really what you want. For the same price you could self build a nice rig.

Thanks for the response. So even if the Mac Mini was one of the more expensive models with better specifications that the standard Mac Mini it still wouldn't have a good enough GPU?

Could you give me an example of a 'tower' similar in size to the Mac Mini which would have a good enough GPU?
Don't get an Apple PC for gaming, build your own like mikey said.

Also a 360 controller will work fine with a PC, you don't need an XB1 controller.
Reply 4
Mac's suck for gaming, so if you decide to go PC you can do much much better elsewhere with the same money

I have a PS4, and I like it, however the main reason I got it is cos I really like exclusives on consoles. Gaming on a (good) PC will get you better quality, FPS, etc.

If you're not interested in playing with friends though, or the exclusives, I'd say get a PC. As long as you have a respectable budget you should be fine
Reply 5
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Don't get an Apple PC for gaming, build your own like mikey said.

Also a 360 controller will work fine with a PC, you don't need an XB1 controller.

The thing is I know jack **** about computers, how would I go about building my own? I don't have much space in my room so I am looking for something similar in size to the Mac Mini.
With Apple you pay for the logo.

I don't know much about gaming PCs and where to buy them, but for example, you could get this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/gaming-pcs/cyberpower-empire-elite-gaming-pc-21831981-pdt.html#cat-0
Original post by RFUR1
Thanks for the response. So even if the Mac Mini was one of the more expensive models with better specifications that the standard Mac Mini it still wouldn't have a good enough GPU?

Could you give me an example of a 'tower' similar in size to the Mac Mini which would have a good enough GPU?

No it would not. Intel Iris, as good as it is for on-board graphics, is not a gaming chipset.

I reckon if you want a small build, a Micro ATX case coupled with a low level i5 and a GTX750 Ti would be your best bet. You won't get a gaming PC in the form factor of a Mac Mini though.
Reply 8
Original post by AdamCee
Mac's suck for gaming, so if you decide to go PC you can do much much better elsewhere with the same money

I have a PS4, and I like it, however the main reason I got it is cos I really like exclusives on consoles. Gaming on a (good) PC will get you better quality, FPS, etc.

If you're not interested in playing with friends though, or the exclusives, I'd say get a PC. As long as you have a respectable budget you should be fine

The thing is I often see these gaming PCs and the 'towers' are huge and I don't have a lot of space in my room. Could you recommend me and PCs which are quite small?

What would a respectable budget be in your opinion?
When GTA V hits PC, you'll see why we're the master-race. Mod+Mods+Mods+Graphics+Mods, But you would have to get a custom built £500/£600 Computer w/ monitor to play at ultra on GTA V

You know honestly which ever console has the most freinds on I would go with, it's NO fun playing solo, so that's my first tip

next = The games, for instance I would really love to have Forza Horizon 2 for my PC, however it's Xbox exclusive :'(

IF you do have more friends on PC, I would recommend seeking help from someone who knows how to build custom PC's, It's not hard to know what to do but if you're a complete newbie, which no offence any apple computers/laptops are a complete waste of money for hardware, it is tricky to set it up by yourself - I hope you like a challenge :smile:

PC games most of them will be completely modded /Skyrim/GTA/NFS there are endless mods, but I would rather you get a XBOX/PLaystation depending on which one has your friends on :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
When GTA V hits PC, you'll see why we're the master-race. Mod+Mods+Mods+Graphics+Mods, But you would have to get a custom built £500/£600 Computer w/ monitor to play at ultra on GTA V

You know honestly which ever console has the most freinds on I would go with, it's NO fun playing solo, so that's my first tip

next = The games, for instance I would really love to have Forza Horizon 2 for my PC, however it's Xbox exclusive :'(

IF you do have more friends on PC, I would recommend seeking help from someone who knows how to build custom PC's, It's not hard to know what to do but if you're a complete newbie, which no offence any apple computers/laptops are a complete waste of money for hardware, it is tricky to set it up by yourself - I hope you like a challenge :smile:

PC games most of them will be completely modded /Skyrim/GTA/NFS there are endless mods, but I would rather you get a XBOX/PLaystation depending on which one has your friends on :smile:

The thing is if I really want to play a friend I would just go to their house. It would be more enjoyable as well as you would be playing that person face to face while not having to worry about internet connections. I would be able to spend around £500-600 on a computer without a monitor (I plan to use a HD TV as a monitor). I am a complete newbie and know virtually nothing about computers which I why I'm seeking advice. I didn't know that about Apple computers/laptops so thanks.
Reply 12

If I really wanted to I could but I was looking for something small and 'condensed'.
Reply 13
No it would not. Intel Iris, as good as it is for on-board graphics, is not a gaming chipset.

I reckon if you want a small build, a Micro ATX case coupled with a low level i5 and a GTX750 Ti would be your best bet. You won't get a gaming PC in the form factor of a Mac Mini though.

Thanks I'll look into your suggestion.
Original post by RFUR1
Thanks I'll look into your suggestion.

If you're really careful, you might be able to fit something in to a Mini-ITX case like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/640766-cooler-master-elite-110-usb3-0-mini-itx-case-rc-110-kkn2

Just make sure you do your compatibility research first. :yep:
Reply 15
If you're really careful, you might be able to fit something in to a Mini-ITX case like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/640766-cooler-master-elite-110-usb3-0-mini-itx-case-rc-110-kkn2

Just make sure you do your compatibility research first. :yep:

Thanks for the suggestion. It does seem like I am going to have to build my own.
Don't build your own, you have no idea about computers, and even those that do, there can be one small error and it won't start. Cue sadness/rage and asking people for help and being more confused as your PC sits for a week or two dead. Instead, find a list of computer parts ('processor, graphics card, OS etc.), find out what's best for what price, learn a bit about how a computer goes together, make sure they're compatible, buy them, then have a friend or computer place build it for you. Or find a site that you can choose a build with and build it for you but will cost a couple hundred more. As you upgrade it as needed, you'll learn a bit more about computer building and each part. Then you'll be confident in building one.

If you have a PC, chances are you won't need an Xbox One. Since the first Xbox, most of the Xbox games worth playing have also been on PC.

But it's all about the games. I don't understand people focusing on tech and other features, if a platform has a few games I really like that I can't play anywhere else, then I'll get that platform. I thought people got consoles and PCs to play games.

Of course you could be a true member of a 'master race' and own both PC and consoles.

Original post by Andrew657Thomas
When GTA V hits PC, you'll see why we're the master-race.

'PC Master Race' is a satirical insult of a certain type of vocal, self-esteem-boosting PC player. These same people embracing the label as if it's real does not look good on them.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest