The Student Room Group

How do you discover new music?

I want to discover some new music... How do u guys do this?
Reply 1
YouTube channels
Twitter
Facebook
Visiting relevant genre forums
-I go to Discogs and search for a song that I have and like. Then, I find out more projects that the producer/singer has participated in by going on their profile. Found some very good songs this way.

-YouTube suggestions has yielded some very good results.

-Having Shazam ready, just in case I hear an awesome song in public or in a TV show or movie.
Youtube related videos, Last.FM, talking to people who share the love I feel for certain genres, etc.
Reply 4
Spotify radio
Reply 5
YouTube related videos.
Getting other people to educate me

Spotify. Usually they have a "related artists" page / recommendation.
Facebook, Beatport and recommendations from friends.
defo spotify
Rateyourmusic is all you'll ever need. Everything else is pretty ****. Last.fm is decent.
Reply 10
1) Soundcloud
2) YouTube
3) Spotify
I always find new music off Netflix series. Film soundtracks, adverts. You tube.
Reply 12
Last.fm has a quality suggestion algorithm.

Mostly I just go to gigs or festivals and comsume a huge amount of live music. My mates will put me onto lots of stuff as well.
Reply 13
Youtube related videos :lol:
Spotify discover or related artists, Shazam, radio, asking friends etc, going to gigs. Plus listening to lesser known artists/bands puts you in touch with a lot of other upcoming music that you might like
Original post by number23
I want to discover some new music... How do u guys do this?

Always by a coincidence and without intentions. Youtube, radio sometimes and background musics in TV series are the media of my discovery.
I usually use related artists/discover weekly on Spotify.
Other than that I go to gigs a lot, some of the supporting acts for bands I've seen have been amazing.
I use Spotify and just look at new music playlists or type in one song that you like and look at the playlists it’s featured in! I find so much new music doing this.
I mainly use pre-made Spotify playlists so that's mainly how I get new music. Watching Car Share really got me back into 80s music too!
Randomly listening to albums that have pretty/interesting cover art. It won't always bring you to music you like, but it sure does bring you new music.
Another easy way is to simply listen to music in a different language. Different cultures, different music, and the way they integrate western/eastern influences is unique and fun to identify.

Quick Reply

Latest