The Student Room Group

Tips on how to analyse a text.

I'm really bad at analysing, my school haven't taught me how to analyse unfortunately, so I'm looking for websites other than EnglishBiz on analysing.
What is a list of things I should keep in mind when analysing a text?
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anne james
I'm really bad at analysing, my school haven't taught me how to analyse unfortunately, so I'm looking for websites other than EnglishBiz on analysing.
What is a list of things I should keep in mind when analysing a text?
:smile:

Best way to look do it is in terms of language, form and structure -

So firstly look at what it is you're studying - is it a novel, poem, play? (Form)

Then look at how the piece is structured. If it's a novel, are the chapters organised linear? If it's a poem, does it have stanzas and does it follow the conventions of specific poetry types? (structure)

Then once you've established these, look specifically at the content. What language is used? Can you identify any techniques like alliteration, onomatapoeia etc? Do any words have connotations (white = pure)

Essentially you should read the text, then re-read it looking for techniques that the author has used to communicate his/her message. After this, considering what the text is about and the tecniques that you've highlighted, explain what the effects of these techniques are.
Original post by Baula
Best way to look do it is in terms of language, form and structure -

So firstly look at what it is you're studying - is it a novel, poem, play? (Form)

Then look at how the piece is structured. If it's a novel, are the chapters organised linear? If it's a poem, does it have stanzas and does it follow the conventions of specific poetry types? (structure)

Then once you've established these, look specifically at the content. What language is used? Can you identify any techniques like alliteration, onomatapoeia etc? Do any words have connotations (white = pure)

Essentially you should read the text, then re-read it looking for techniques that the author has used to communicate his/her message. After this, considering what the text is about and the tecniques that you've highlighted, explain what the effects of these techniques are.

Thank you sooo much:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending