The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Durham for English Studies?

I've received offers from the University of Nottingham and Durham University for an MA in English Studies, but choosing between the two universities is challenging. Would anyone be willing to share their personal experiences and/or offer pros and cons about the universities' academics, students, and accommodations?

Thank you!
I'd go for Durham, but only as it has a slightly better overall rep as a brand. If you are paying a fortune to study there, may as well cash in on the prestige.
Reply 2
Congrats on your admissions. Do you have specific academic interests? Fit is important, do you prefer small university town (Durham) or larger city (Nott)?

In general, Durham's English department is highly regarded and ranked in the top 10 in the UK for teaching,student satisfaction, research and entry requirement. The focus is on traditional syllabus with literature. Its PhD programme is well regarded and attracts applications from abroad. Housing varies from older dorms to modern rooms with ensuite bathrooms. The undergrad student body is quite preppy according to stats. The English department is located in the traditional campus. Durham is stronger in humanities (lighter on science) and English is one of its strongest areas.

Nott is one of England's cheaper cities. It is expanding internationally with campuses in China and Malaysia. Both unis attract international students. Nott's student body is a bit more diverse. Some students share houses in popular neighbourhoods. There are a few rough areas (see crime stats) you should avoid. English departments at nearby unis (Warwick, Birmingham) offer competition, so it is tough for Nott to stand out.

Imho, Durham has the edge in English. Good luck.
The real Durham is in old Durham, not Stockton-On-Tees.
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
Congrats on your admissions. Do you have specific academic interests? Fit is important, do you prefer small university town (Durham) or larger city (Nott)?

In general, Durham's English department is highly regarded and ranked in the top 10 in the UK for teaching,student satisfaction, research and entry requirement. The focus is on traditional syllabus with literature. Its PhD programme is well regarded and attracts applications from abroad. Housing varies from older dorms to modern rooms with ensuite bathrooms. The undergrad student body is quite preppy according to stats. The English department is located in the traditional campus. Durham is stronger in humanities (lighter on science) and English is one of its strongest areas.

Nott is one of England's cheaper cities. It is expanding internationally with campuses in China and Malaysia. Both unis attract international students. Nott's student body is a bit more diverse. Some students share houses in popular neighbourhoods. There are a few rough areas (see crime stats) you should avoid. English departments at nearby unis (Warwick, Birmingham) offer competition, so it is tough for Nott to stand out.

Imho, Durham has the edge in English. Good luck.

Thank you for your detailed response! My academic interests are specific; I want to focus on how nationalism in the nineteenth century influenced the Romanticists and, happily, I've already signed up for a few modules which'll take me in that direction. I definitely prefer a small university town to a larger city.

Also, thanks for presenting some of the pros and cons! I'll keep your feedback in mind while I make my decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
I'd go for Durham, but only as it has a slightly better overall rep as a brand. If you are paying a fortune to study there, may as well cash in on the prestige.

Thank you!
Original post by amandalynn
Thank you!

Might be tough to get a place though! Competition has hottened up in recent years.
Reply 7
Might be tough to get a place though! Competition has hottened up in recent years.

No worries! Durham gave me a conditional offer and meeting the conditions won't be an issue.
No worries! Durham gave me a conditional offer and meeting the conditions won't be an issue.

I noticed you are an international student. Nottingham actually has a slightly better international rep over Durham, but in the UK Durham is seen as one of the few real alternatives to Oxbridge.
Reply 9
I noticed you are an international student. Nottingham actually has a slightly better international rep over Durham, but in the UK Durham is seen as one of the few real alternatives to Oxbridge.

As an international student, especially one who comes from a rural area, my main concern is that I'll get overwhelmed by the size of the universities. I've organized, funded, and undertaken two independent trips to the UK, though, so I imagine that I'll manage. (:

Do you know why Nottingham has a better international reputation?
As an international student, especially one who comes from a rural area, my main concern is that I'll get overwhelmed by the size of the universities. I've organized, funded, and undertaken two independent trips to the UK, though, so I imagine that I'll manage. (:

Do you know why Nottingham has a better international reputation?

Nottingham is a larger research intensive university, and has campuses in China and Malaysia. It also ranks higher than Durham in 2 of the 3 most respected World rankings. It has also been a member of the Russell Group (our Ivy League unofficially) longer than Durham, though it is said that Durham passed on the chance to join the group in 1994 when it was first created.
Reply 11
Nottingham is a larger research intensive university, and has campuses in China and Malaysia. It also ranks higher than Durham in 2 of the 3 most respected World rankings. It has also been a member of the Russell Group (our Ivy League unofficially) longer than Durham, though it is said that Durham passed on the chance to join the group in 1994 when it was first created.

Intriguing--I will keep that in mind. Thank you!
Intriguing--I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

A lot of international students tend to like Royal Holloway www.rhul.ac.uk .
Nottingham has better international reputation due to its spread and depth of courses. To add to Blitzkrieg's factors, Nott is well positioned in all major subjects as a public research uni (imagine UMichigan or UNC in the US). Nott is stronger in social sciences and engineering. Nott has increased its scope particularly in Asia with its two campuses and offer the option to spend a year abroad in Asia. Due to STEM subjects, Nott receives more grants from gov and industry (a key criteria in ranking).

But for you, humanities is more relevant.

Both unis have good facilities for sports and student union. Durham excels in crew, rugby and wins athletic championships. Durham relies more on student union events as the city is relatively small. Some students go to nearby Newcastle for shopping or cultural events.

Another differentiating factor is supply of part time jobs. Durham is too small to offer sufficient student jobs or internships to meet demand. But people joke most Durham students are wealthy middle class. The uni is the largest employer. Nott is a larger city and would offer more part time jobs at local organisations. I don't know about your department, but in my subject Nott has a better guest speaker series (academics from international unis present their research in seminars) opened to postgraduate students.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think you should get too hung up over reputation - they're both very good and aren't going to be deciding factors as to whether you do or don't get a job.

They're very different. I've visited both, and these are the main differences I picked up on between them:

Durham is more compact with colleges that are integrated into the city as you walk to Castle and the stunning Cathedral. It's quite tranquil in atmosphere and very pleasant. However, when I first went I was underwhelmed with the quality of its facilities - many buildings were unattractive and the more modern ones, such as the Law area, had an interior that was barely better than my school.

Nottingham is very large and feels like a small town. It's secluded from the city on an open campus with very interesting, modern, well built facilities. The SU was much better and it felt as though it invests more into its campus, which it does. However, the size of it can be overwhelming and it's quite lively which means it may not be the best place for introverts. Nottingham does have a nice English history, like Robin Hood, but it doesn't feel as old and historic as Durham which is a con.

I think you need to decide based on those kinds of factors when deciding between which of them to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Durham actually has the highest ranked English department in the UK, so it's a no brainer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending