The Student Room Group

Religious studies (philosophy and ethics) vs English lit

I have decided on biology, chemistry and maths for my A-level options but really can't decide between these 2 as my 4th, how is the workload for these subjects at AS level ? (bare in mind i will be doing the new spec for English lit , which is no coursework and only 2 exams for AS). How enjoyable are these subjects ? how hard do you find them ? I really do love English literature but i am not much of a reader ( i am a slow reader ), and philosophy and ethics looks so interesting but i am worried it will have really difficult concepts.

I will be doing OCR for philosophy and ethics

and the new 2015 English lit spec for OCR

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171201-specification-accredited-as-level-gce-level-english-literature-h072.pdf
bump
Reply 2
I do both of those at the moment, but English Lit on AQA and Philosophy on Edexcel. I really enjoy both of them. However, from my experience the only people who really enjoy English Lit are those who enjoy reading and who read a lot, as at the moment at least a lot of reading is required to do well in the course, defiantly much more than GCSE. Philosophy is very interesting, and some of the ideas can be a little difficult to get your head around but once you have gone over them, it is fine. Do remember that you can change as well in the first couple of months. I know a lot of people switched out of English in my year because it wasn't what they expected, and some went over to Philosophy. If you pick one and decide that you really don't like it, you can change.
Original post by oswalds
I do both of those at the moment, but English Lit on AQA and Philosophy on Edexcel. I really enjoy both of them. However, from my experience the only people who really enjoy English Lit are those who enjoy reading and who read a lot, as at the moment at least a lot of reading is required to do well in the course, defiantly much more than GCSE. Philosophy is very interesting, and some of the ideas can be a little difficult to get your head around but once you have gone over them, it is fine. Do remember that you can change as well in the first couple of months. I know a lot of people switched out of English in my year because it wasn't what they expected, and some went over to Philosophy. If you pick one and decide that you really don't like it, you can change.

Thanks , how do you find the workload for each subject ? and which do you find more enjoyable/easy ?
Reply 4
Well, with the English Literature coursework has been quite a lot of work, but I know you won't be doing that. There are quite a few essay questions in there at the moment, and you have to learn a lot of poetry, and also prose and drama to be able to compare with. However, I've just had a mock today and there wasn't nearly as much to revise as there was for my Philosophy mock which is tomorrow. There is a lot more to take in for Philosophy, because you actually have to learn all of the different theories. Although, once you have learnt them properly I don't really find them that difficult to revise. Both are really enjoyable for me at least. I like the creativity I have when analyzing in English Lit, and coming up with my own interpretations. On the other hand, Philosophy is really interesting, and gives you a lot of useful knowledge that you can apply to other subjects.
Original post by oswalds
Well, with the English Literature coursework has been quite a lot of work, but I know you won't be doing that. There are quite a few essay questions in there at the moment, and you have to learn a lot of poetry, and also prose and drama to be able to compare with. However, I've just had a mock today and there wasn't nearly as much to revise as there was for my Philosophy mock which is tomorrow. There is a lot more to take in for Philosophy, because you actually have to learn all of the different theories. Although, once you have learnt them properly I don't really find them that difficult to revise. Both are really enjoyable for me at least. I like the creativity I have when analyzing in English Lit, and coming up with my own interpretations. On the other hand, Philosophy is really interesting, and gives you a lot of useful knowledge that you can apply to other subjects.

oh ok i guess that makes sense , how did you find the jump from GCSE to A-level for english ? also what other subjects do you take ?
Reply 6
Original post by Humzaawan123
oh ok i guess that makes sense , how did you find the jump from GCSE to A-level for english ? also what other subjects do you take ?

I wouldn't say the jump is massive in terms of difficulty, but it is very different to GCSE. You are expected to be more independent at A-Level, as at GCSE you are sort of spoon fed a lot of the information you need. A-Level involves a lot more of thinking for yourself and developing your own interpretation. My other subjects are History and Psychology. I personally find History the most difficult out of them all, and Psychology the easiest.
bump
bump
Original post by oswalds
I wouldn't say the jump is massive in terms of difficulty, but it is very different to GCSE. You are expected to be more independent at A-Level, as at GCSE you are sort of spoon fed a lot of the information you need. A-Level involves a lot more of thinking for yourself and developing your own interpretation. My other subjects are History and Psychology. I personally find History the most difficult out of them all, and Psychology the easiest.

Thanks , also is philosophy and ethics a respected A-level ? and when writing essays for philosophy can you give your opinions and interpretations or is it more factual ?
Original post by Humzaawan123
Thanks , also is philosophy and ethics a respected A-level ? and when writing essays for philosophy can you give your opinions and interpretations or is it more factual ?

I believe it is a respected A-Level according to most lists. And at least on the board that I do, there are questions where you have to agree or disagree with a statement and argue your point. There is a lot of looking at the positives or negatives of arguments. I was with OCR for GCSE, and there were a lot of opinions in this as well.
bump

Quick Reply

Latest