The Student Room Group

Is Durham a significantly better university than Birmingham?

I want to study Modern Languages and have received offers from Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and - as of today - Durham. I had basically decided to choose Birmingham as I had an unconditional offer, really like what the university/course offer and it appeals to me to be in a big, diverse city due to prospects, culture and general exposure to new things. I had honestly expected a rejection from Durham but I ended up getting an offer from them today.

Now I feel really torn: when I visited Durham I did really like the university and city but due to the aforementioned factors I wondered whether it would really be the best choice to help me get out of my comfort zone (a conscientous, introverted life). But in a way I'd feel foolish to reject it since in every league table, subject specific or not, Durham comes out on top by a wide margin. But obviously Birmingham is still a respected, academic university. So does it really matter? I'm not sure why I'm asking this as I obviously don't want to make a decision based purely on league tables, maybe I just want reassurance.

Scroll to see replies

Hello!

First of all - don't even consider league tables from here on out. I used to be exactly the same, and based all my choices on league tables because I wanted to go to a Uni with "prestige" - but somewhere along the line I've learned that league tables are a bunch of *******s and really should only be used as a light and very rough reference as to the reputation of the university - but they need to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, and ignored after you've submitted your application.

Now, onto your question - Funnily enough I'm going to study at Birmingham this coming September - received an Unconditional for Biomedical Science ^^ Now, my course is not relevant to your course, HOWEVER, here's the kicker - My eldest sister also went to Birmingham 8-9 years ago and did Modern Languages (Spanish and Italian). Long story short, she bloody loved doing Spanish and Italian at Birmingham. She was truly happy there. She loved the Uni itself (The campus really is lovely), but more importantly, she loved the city itself. It's exactly as you described it - big, diverse, has a wealth of culture and an endless list of things to do. Now, I do feel I must mention that my sister is an extreme extrovert - she can't sit still for one second, makes friends with any new person in 3 seconds flat, bubbly, that kind of thing. So Birmingham definitely suited her personality. But now I'll mention right now that I'm nothing like my sister, I'm introverted like you. I dislike parties and instead prefer to hang out with a handful of friends, I enjoy my own company, but also feel like I need to increase my exposure to the world around me and do more things outside my own little bubble. And I tell you what - I'm so damn excited to go to Birmingham. I really can't wait. In Birmingham, you have the best of both worlds - the campus feels like a rural town when you can easily keep to yourself if you want, but right down the road you have this massive city with a wealth of opportunities, if you're so inclined to explore.

In my opinion, I'd pick Birmingham. I've heard people say Durham is too small a town and has too-pretentious a Student Culture, and some of their friends had even transferred to different Unis because of that. However, I really can't say anything for certain because I've never seen Durham, nor have I ever researched it.

Anyway, I hope this has helped somewhat. Oh, and as a little addition to the whole league tables thing in case you weren't already aware, Birmingham is also a Russel Group Uni with a stellar reputation. Don't worry about that. Choose which one your heart tells you you'd like the most, and ignore the brain telling you to choose something because it's higher on a league table. The differences are negligible.
So what you're really asking is should you go to the (so called) better university even though you'd be happier elsewhere? The answer is no. Go where you will most happy. Durham is not significantly more prestigious than Birmingham to make a material difference in terms of future job prospects.
(edited 9 years ago)
As someone with little intimate knowledge of the course you're doing just like most of the people who will see your CV once you graduate, I would say Durham is more prestigious than Birmingham, definitely so.
Original post by Sargeant_Nemo
Hello!

First of all - don't even consider league tables from here on out. I used to be exactly the same, and based all my choices on league tables because I wanted to go to a Uni with "prestige" - but somewhere along the line I've learned that league tables are a bunch of *******s and really should only be used as a light and very rough reference as to the reputation of the university - but they need to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, and ignored after you've submitted your application.

Now, onto your question - Funnily enough I'm going to study at Birmingham this coming September - received an Unconditional for Biomedical Science ^^ Now, my course is not relevant to your course, HOWEVER, here's the kicker - My eldest sister also went to Birmingham 8-9 years ago and did Modern Languages (Spanish and Italian). Long story short, she bloody loved doing Spanish and Italian at Birmingham. She was truly happy there. She loved the Uni itself (The campus really is lovely), but more importantly, she loved the city itself. It's exactly as you described it - big, diverse, has a wealth of culture and an endless list of things to do. Now, I do feel I must mention that my sister is an extreme extrovert - she can't sit still for one second, makes friends with any new person in 3 seconds flat, bubbly, that kind of thing. So Birmingham definitely suited her personality. But now I'll mention right now that I'm nothing like my sister, I'm introverted like you. I dislike parties and instead prefer to hang out with a handful of friends, I enjoy my own company, but also feel like I need to increase my exposure to the world around me and do more things outside my own little bubble. And I tell you what - I'm so damn excited to go to Birmingham. I really can't wait. In Birmingham, you have the best of both worlds - the campus feels like a rural town when you can easily keep to yourself if you want, but right down the road you have this massive city with a wealth of opportunities, if you're so inclined to explore.

In my opinion, I'd pick Birmingham. I've heard people say Durham is too small a town and has too-pretentious a Student Culture, and some of their friends had even transferred to different Unis because of that. However, I really can't say anything for certain because I've never seen Durham, nor have I ever researched it.

Anyway, I hope this has helped somewhat. Oh, and as a little addition to the whole league tables thing in case you weren't already aware, Birmingham is also a Russel Group Uni with a stellar reputation. Don't worry about that. Choose which one your heart tells you you'd like the most, and ignore the brain telling you to choose something because it's higher on a league table. The differences are negligible.

Wow thankyou that is really helpful, just what I needed and wanted to hear! I've never actually been to Birmingham before, one thing that has made me less sure, but I'm going to a visit day tomorrow so hopefully that should seal the deal :colondollar:

It's good to hear someone be so full of praise for the place - people tend to have a bad image of it and be less than keen when I mention it, which I've taken with a pinch of salt but has made me question myself a bit seeing as I haven't seen it for myself yet.

I will hopefully see you in Birmingham come September then :tongue:
I know what you mean about the whole bad image thing. I think this is because of the stereotype surrounding the kind of people in Birmingham, but it's just that - a stereotype. I come from London, and if I were to go to Birmingham, all the people in Birmingham would probably take the piss out of Londoners for being chavs or pikeys or whatever. There's a stigma for every large city.

I think once you see the place you'll realise it's actually great. Whether it's the right choice for you still remains to be seen, but hopefully once you've experienced all there is at your visit day, you'll have a better idea of which Uni you think will suit you best. At the very least, I think you'll adore the campus - it really is a good-looking place.

By the way, feel free to PM me for anything, be it a little more info, an opinion, or just to get to know someone who's going to Birmingham too should you choose there in the end. Good luck on your decision-making, and have fun on the Visit day!
Was this thread merged or something? Sargeant_Nemo's long post wasn’t there when I replied earlier. I don't know why I bother replying to some people. :colonhash:
Original post by Snufkin
Was this thread merged or something? Sargeant_Nemo's long post wasn’t there when I replied earlier. I don't know why I bother replying to some people. :colonhash:

There was about 1-2 minutes between our replies, so you probably clicked on the thread as I was typing my reply but before I submitted it, and submitted it before you did yours.

Don't worry, I'm sure OP will find the more posts/opinions the merrier!
Original post by uncommonsensing
I want to study Modern Languages and have received offers from Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and - as of today - Durham. I had basically decided to choose Birmingham as I had an unconditional offer, really like what the university/course offer and it appeals to me to be in a big, diverse city due to prospects, culture and general exposure to new things. I had honestly expected a rejection from Durham but I ended up getting an offer from them today.

Now I feel really torn: when I visited Durham I did really like the university and city but due to the aforementioned factors I wondered whether it would really be the best choice to help me get out of my comfort zone (a conscientous, introverted life). But in a way I'd feel foolish to reject it since in every league table, subject specific or not, Durham comes out on top by a wide margin. But obviously Birmingham is still a respected, academic university. So does it really matter? I'm not sure why I'm asking this as I obviously don't want to make a decision based purely on league tables, maybe I just want reassurance.

I have an unconditional offer for Modern Languages at Birmingham. What languages would you be doing?

I think the fact Birmingham is still seen as one of the top universities in the country, you get the best of both works with a really nice campus with Birmingham just a train ride away and an unconditional offer!

I live near the university and Birmingham is so different now compared to what it was like in the past. Shopping and eating out in Birmingham is brilliant and you can never really be bored. There are loads of ongoing developments going on in the city so pretty soon it is going to be unrecognisable. Go for where your heart tells you to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean about the whole bad image thing. I think this is because of the stereotype surrounding the kind of people in Birmingham, but it's just that - a stereotype. I come from London, and if I were to go to Birmingham, all the people in Birmingham would probably take the piss out of Londoners for being chavs or pikeys or whatever. There's a stigma for every large city.

I think once you see the place you'll realise it's actually great. Whether it's the right choice for you still remains to be seen, but hopefully once you've experienced all there is at your visit day, you'll have a better idea of which Uni you think will suit you best. At the very least, I think you'll adore the campus - it really is a good-looking place.

By the way, feel free to PM me for anything, be it a little more info, an opinion, or just to get to know someone who's going to Birmingham too should you choose there in the end. Good luck on your decision-making, and have fun on the Visit day!

I loved Birmingham yesterday, can really see myself there and will definitely be firming it now! Thankyou I may well, do you have a good insight into accomodation etc as your sister went there?
Original post by Leanne1455
I have an unconditional offer for Modern Languages at Birmingham. What languages would you be doing?

I think the fact Birmingham is still seen as one of the top universities in the country, you get the best of both works with a really nice campus with Birmingham just a train ride away and an unconditional offer!

I live near the university and Birmingham is so different now compared to what it was like in the past. Shopping and eating out in Birmingham is brilliant and you can never really be bored. There are loads of ongoing developments going on in the city so pretty soon it is going to be unrecognisable. Go for where your heart tells you to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! Have you made your decision yet? I will be studying Spanish and beginner's Russian, what about you?

That's good to hear, I haven't had a chance to see the city yet but I am sure it is great. I haven't accepted my offer yet but have made up my mind I shall do so soon now :colondollar:
Well done! Have you made your decision yet? I will be studying Spanish and beginner's Russian, what about you?

That's good to hear, I haven't had a chance to see the city yet but I am sure it is great. I haven't accepted my offer yet but have made up my mind I shall do so soon now :colondollar:

I'm doing german and Italian with translation studies. It's great at Birmingham because the languages department is quite small in comparison and they organise a lot of stuff as a department so I guess I will see you there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved Birmingham yesterday, can really see myself there and will definitely be firming it now! Thankyou I may well, do you have a good insight into accomodation etc as your sister went there?

Unfortunately I don't really, my sister went there a good 8-9 years ago so I imagine many things have changed or been refurbished. However, she did stay in Maple Bank which is still an option, and she said she loved it. Nice and cheap, but good nonetheless. I have a feeling I'll probably be following in her footsteps - Either Maple Bank or Ashcroft (Since they're the cheap ones. I'd love an En Suite but Christ are they expensive). I haven't seen the accommodation yet though, going to have a look on March 11th. Thankfully Birmingham implemented the new policy which ISN'T first come first served so I can apply for accomm whenever before May and still have a fair chance of getting my 1st choice!
Unfortunately I don't really, my sister went there a good 8-9 years ago so I imagine many things have changed or been refurbished. However, she did stay in Maple Bank which is still an option, and she said she loved it. Nice and cheap, but good nonetheless. I have a feeling I'll probably be following in her footsteps - Either Maple Bank or Ashcroft (Since they're the cheap ones. I'd love an En Suite but Christ are they expensive). I haven't seen the accommodation yet though, going to have a look on March 11th. Thankfully Birmingham implemented the new policy which ISN'T first come first served so I can apply for accomm whenever before May and still have a fair chance of getting my 1st choice!

Ah I'm also going for the cheap options, Pritchatts House is my current favourite but Maple Bank and Ashcroft will also be in my top 3 choices. Yeah I was relieved about that too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh Pritchatts? See, the Multicultural Community thing looked really cool. However, EIGHTEEN BEDROOMS PER FLAT? Nuh uh. Nope. Screw that. That is WAY too many people to share bathrooms and a kitchen with. Not to mention the kitchen looks awful. I'll stick with the nice-and-cosy 4-6 bedrooms per flat Maple Bank and Ashcroft :colondollar:
Follow your heart :moon:

I would personally have gone for Durham. The university is considered one of the UK's finest, and a leading alternative to Oxbridge. The course is also based in Durham, where the nice buildings and scenery are. Had it been based at Stockton, I'd have said give it a miss.

I have to say, you are brave for rejecting all those universities for Birmingham, but Birmingham is excellent in it's own right. If it doesn't work out, you could still transfer elsewhere after the first year.

The real difference is you will see a wider mix of students with differing academic abilities at Birmingham. At Durham this would not be the case, as everyone would be an Oxbridge reject.
(edited 9 years ago)
You can't deny Durham is a beautiful Uni but I think Birminghams Edgbaston campus is stunning in its own right and to have the city centre just down the road too you really can't go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanne1455
You can't deny Durham is a beautiful Uni but I think having Birminghams Edgbaston campus is stunning in its own right and to have the city centre just down the road too you really can't go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are all so beautiful, but having visited all of them though I'd just give Durham and Bristol the edge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending