The Student Room Group

studying medicine in the UK (foreign EU national doing A-levels)

Hi
First of all my name is Aleksander (call me Aleks), im 17 and i will be doing british A-levels in the british international school of ljubljana(Slovenia). I would like your advice on a few things

a) What should my third and fourth A-level subject be?
I will take Biology and Chemistry a 100% without any doubts. I am not very good at Mathematics and Physics (I barely scraped a -B in both). Besides loving Bio and Chem i like languages and history so I am thinking between English, German and History.

b) UKCAT and BMAT
I am a little afraid of these aptitude tests as there is apparently quantative reasoning involved in these tests. What does it look like? What can happen if your A-levels are good and BMAT/UKCAT score average or bellow average

c) Personal interview
When are these interviews conducted?

d) Criminal record
When I was 16 i got busted for posession of a small amount of weed. I was arrested and given a 100 EUR fine. No jail or magistrateCan this affect the process?
Original post by aleksanderkrout
Hi
First of all my name is Aleksander (call me Aleks), im 17 and i will be doing british A-levels in the british international school of ljubljana(Slovenia). I would like your advice on a few things

I will take Biology and Chemistry a 100% without any doubts. I am not very good at Mathematics and Physics (I barely scraped a -B in both). Besides loving Bio and Chem i like languages and history so I am thinking between English, German and History.

b) UKCAT and BMAT
I am a little afraid of these aptitude tests as there is apparently quantative reasoning involved in these tests. What does it look like? What can happen if your A-levels are good and BMAT/UKCAT score average or bellow average

c) Personal interview

d) Criminal record
When I was 16 i got busted for posession of a small amount of weed. I was arrested and given a 100 EUR fine. No jail or magistrateCan this affect the process?

1) Honestly makes no difference, choose the subjects you enjoy the most (and excel at)

2) You can find more information on examination styles here: http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/menu.aspx?pack=a65ad225-c051-4503-9143-09b9a4b3e8b4
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/
Different unis have different "requirements" for these tests, check them out on each uni's website

3) Depends on the uni, roughly between Dec-Feb

4) I don't think that should be a problem
Reply 2
Original post by aleksanderkrout
Hi

b) UKCAT and BMAT

c) Personal interview

d) Criminal record

Hey mate,

a) Your third and fourth subjects don't really matter providing that they are rigorous subjects and that you can obtain A's in them. English, German or History are all excellent choices so you cant go wrong really. I would of recommended that you take either physics or maths but because you said you don't think you could get an A in them, I wouldn't take them.

b) UKCAT tests your ability to form conclusions based on what you read, quantitative is the ability to handle data, there's one where you need to find patterns in shapes and finally one which is your ability to solve puzzles (its like code breaking). Its not difficult providing you practice early and hard. Your other entry exam is like a science test, again not hard providing you revise.

c) Anywhere between September- March for most of them.

d) Doubt it will make a difference but when you do the DBS make sure you declare it. Otherwise if they do find out, it will matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending