The Student Room Group

I think maths should be compulsory upto year 12..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naxiv
Maths should be conplulaory up to 2nd year of Uni

Maths should be compulsory until the first year of PhD.
Reply 21
Maths should be complusory until 3 weeks before you die.
Original post by morgan8002
Maths should be compulsory until the first year of PhD.
Original post by naxiv
Maths should be complusory until 3 weeks before you die.

Maths should be compulsory until three decades after you die.
Ahaha, right passionate about it, aren't you? I'm actually quite satisfied even if I get a C in maths, I've had enough of it for a lifetime (weakest subject lol):colondollar: and thanks for the links, they can help me for my test in 3 weeks :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Maths should be complusory until sinx=3/2
Original post by morgan8002
Maths should be compulsory until three decades after you die.
Original post by naxiv
Maths should be complusory until sinx=3/2

I think enforcing that will be quite complex.
I think A-LVL maths should be taught in high school. Gcse maths is too simple and should be taught in years 6-8. So then after high school people can go on to study anything else they want I.e further maths, psychology, history..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

In most countries, it is compulsory to learn maths up til the age of 18.The mathematical literacy of the average Brit is disgraceful.I remember during Gcse, there 8 maths sets in my school and people in 2nd set were getting U grades.
Fair enough but not everybody wants to be an Economist, a Doctor, Dentist etc so in this case maths at A level will be of no benefit especially for those who want to pursue drama as a Career.

Edit: I understand that maths will contribute to your life such as calculating bills and fixing bank problems but you have to know that maths is not suited for everybody. You could go on and on about how people are dropping maths because they are not working hard enough but the fact is some people cant actually do maths and you cant tell these people to work harder because believe me some have worked their socks off but still the grade they get is not worth to be written on that results sheet
(edited 9 years ago)
If you teach people badly then it doesn't matter how long you donut for, they'll never learn.

If we can modernise teaching methods, moving away from time consuming, ineffective rote learning to teach students how to do things by thinking critically then we might stand a chance of improving things.
Maths indeed is fascinating(cant deny this obviously) and we do need to create challenges in our lives in order to stimulate our brain and think outside the box by solving maths problems. But if you think twice about this(not once but twice) you will know where I am coming from.

I also like the way things are- If you have passed GCSE maths you shouldn't need to continue with it unless you want too.(my opinion btw)
Teaching mathematical logic would be more productive than pure maths at 16+.
I think what should be emphasised more, and the government is moving towards this, is a development of problem solving ability.

As ones problem solving ability increases, I have no doubt that their general intelligence increases too.

The only reason why Maths is seen as a "hard subject" is because it is the only subject where independent learning can take you VERY far. Hence the variation in "mathematical ability" in the average classroom.

I think mathematical education should begin ~9-10 at which point Maths should be introduced to the student as a system of formalised thought.
Teaching kids maths at an earlier age (5-6) transforms maths into a serious of meaningless calculations, and a child, in most cases, will not recover from this perspective as they move into their teenage years.

I know leaving it till 9-10 sounds very late and risky but I think there is certainly a chance it might work. I have heard that some European countries are beginning school later and they seem to be doing better than us.
Well if I were forced to teach kids how to carry out the same tasks over and over, I too would be immensely bored so I don't blame them.

Mathematics should only be introduced when a student is ready for it. This is not just some arbitrary number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, no, no. The vast majority of people only need to know GCSE level maths (if that). Stop trying to ram this STEM master race rubbish down peoples' throat.
No, no, no and no.

The majority of my friends at got Ds and below in maths.
I struggled with it due to crap teaching (teacher left and vanished so we had 7 supply teachers who couldn't do a thing for all of year 10). I only just passed the non calculator exam by 2 marks.
I then got a tutor and school decided to give my class a proper teacher for year 11 and I then got a B in one exam (teacher said he was "quite surprised" haha) and a C in the other.

I was in set 3 out of 7 maths sets. You'd mess up so many people's lives and make then drop out/hate school because they'd be forced to do something they hate at an even harder level.

Original post by Blackorgreen
I think A-LVL maths should be taught in high school. Gcse maths is too simple and should be taught in years 6-8. So then after high school people can go on to study anything else they want I.e further maths, psychology, history..

Posted from TSR Mobile

We aren't all as smart as you L.
If you look at the content of maths AS, it's just not relevant to someone wanting to go into a non-maths profession. Integration, differentiation, and vectors just aren't relevant for most people. Nearly all complicated maths these days is presented on colourful infographics anyway. You'd be fine with just the basics.
I think that for people who do A-levels, maths and at least one science should be compulsory - after all, we are short of people doing STEM degrees.
Original post by shroomie
If you look at the content of maths AS, it's just not relevant to someone wanting to go into a non-maths profession. Integration, differentiation, and vectors just aren't relevant for most people. Nearly all complicated maths these days is presented on colourful infographics anyway. You'd be fine with just the basics.

Vectors aren't in maths AS (unless you do M1).
Original post by daisychain_
No, no, no. The vast majority of people only need to know GCSE level maths (if that). Stop trying to ram this STEM master race rubbish down peoples' throat.

But we STEM people are in fact the master race.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending