The Student Room Group

AQA A English Lit. A2 - Love Through The Ages 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It doesn't matter if it did come up. David Copperfield isn't a usual text and arguably Dickens isn't really studied that much, as oppose to other key Victorian writers. It doesn't mean I'm going to read all of his novels. Same with Austen. She's popular but not going to go overboard in some vain hope that they might come up.

'Breadth and depth' isn't learning ALL of Shakespeare's plays. It's reading and understand him as well as other key literary dramatists of the Renaissance Era. Breadth = canonical and depth = the published writings of that time.

Yh, ok. I agree with you. I'm just saying literary context and reading plays by Shakespeare helps me understand the language and themes more. Maybe it doesn't help you. Ok. Thanks.
How did everyone do in this? I got a B but my AS re-sit got a high A, so overall I got an A... SOO happy, I was certain I had failed and got a D in this paper, i really do not believe it!
I ended up getting full marks for this paper! Wasn't even getting near top band scores throughout the year and mocks.. But pleased nonetheless! Achieved an A* overall!
I got a D in this exam! Thought I did better than that but got a B overall which is what I was hoping for :smile:
I got a C in this paper 81/120 LOL

My coursework was 80/80 so I literally bagged my A at A2

I was a bit upset as my AS was quite high in comparison
101/120
67/80

Overall an A though :/
I managed to get an A the exam. No idea how that happened haha
Hey guys, got a mock exam tomorrow on this paper, can anyone remember the 2 poems that came up in question 1?
Original post by bradrangers
Hey guys, got a mock exam tomorrow on this paper, can anyone remember the 2 poems that came up in question 1?

I cannot remember exactly but I used quite a lot of Donne poetry so revise loads on that and you should be fine. I'll
Pray for you nonetheless
the 1st one was to the virgins and the 2nd one was by yeats, just not sure which one D:
I'm retaking this exam as i missed the exam from last year. Any advice for how i can thoroughly prepare for it & any specific things i should look out for based on last years exam, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am doing Love Through The Ages this year and was wondering if anybody has a checklist of all the different types of love I should be focusing my wider reading around so I can cover everything. Thanks
how did you link it to great gatsby???
Reply 392
Original post by katiercx
Regency period of the 19th century, where it was realism as the common theme in Regency literature.

My analysis of this was the words such as "warm" "storm" creates a sexual, sensual mood. The sexualisation of the senses suggests that Emma's attraction is so strong and fiery that even the words are rubbing together which also was a theme in Duffys Anne Hathaway. Furthermore the post storm stage suggests a calm after a high period of high intensity; almost as though Emma has physically and mentally obsessed with her romance. This suggests that throughout literature, female authors are open to the concept of women driving sexual relations.

Sorry this is so brief and not the best, I'm out and via mobile and without notes! Hope it helped...

Nice quote, D.H Lawrence explores female sexuality in similar ways in Lady Chatterley's Lover. The female protagonist (Connie) is married to Cifford,a physically disabled (therefore sterile) veteran, who also happens to run a colliery. Connie ends up haing an affair with Mellors (proper rural northern lad), the complete opposite to Clifford the intellectual whose version of an oragsm is reading poems to Connie and wheezing with joy at the miners... anyways Mellors is paralleled to the 'great God Pan' - the mythological god of Nature/forrest - and their relationship is pretty much her rebirth into sexuality and the natural world, a similar lustful 'storm' goes on in her womb whenever she's 3 yards near Mellors. OK CONTEXT aside, it just clicked I figured you could strengthen your quote with this modernist example (of sexualiy being consistent through the ages). Maybe even noting that Lawrence's diction is pretty graphic.

Hope this helped some, your qoute sure did.
I'm taking this exam tomorrow as i missed it last year, any last minute advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending