The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to be annoyed how my boyfriend spends his money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
`Bishes always trying to keep a man down smh
Original post by Jesswales
I've been with my boyfriend nearly 4 years and during this time we haven't really done a lot unless I convince him and pay for us both myself (e.g. theme park trip, festival, weekend away, concerts - all of these I have had to pay for both of us) I enjoy doing things with him hence why I pay for him to come. But he has got his own money which he spends nearly entirely on himself. He has bought car modification parts, bikes, motorbikes, expensive protein. Things he doesn't really NEED or things that don't include me as he goes biking with his friends and not with me.

I am just annoyed that when I suggest an activity for the both of us he claims to have no money whereas he has enough to spend on himself! I don't even want him to pay for me just cover his own costs.

I feel guilty if I go with my friends as he complains about being left out or me choosing other people over him but I can't afford to pay for 2 people all the time! And he doesn't even thank me usually.

loled.

But serious though. Your boyfriend is a freeloader. I wouldn't be friends with someone like that. I put them on the acquaintance list.
(edited 9 years ago)
It sounds like the real issue here is that he doesn't give you much time/attention, and spending less money on you is just a symptom of this.
Sensible use of money is an absolute deal breaker for me, so this guy wouldn't have lasted more than two minutes with me.

It depends on what your priorities are, but leopards don't change their spots. Do you want bikes and car parts still to be his priority if you have a family?

I would get rid...
Take it from another guy, who didn't always have a lot of money but speaking from past experience, I would always sacrifice my own desires and get something nice for a girl I liked. I don't understand why he wouldn't want to do lots of nice stuff for you? That's the problem here - you need to find that out. There is either a good reason for it or your boyfriend is a dick, get rid. There are plenty of better guys out there who aren't like that, you deserve better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stargirl63
To be honest, I would probably use sarcasm to get my point across eg if he buys expensive protein just casually be like "oh wow, thought you didn't have any money for that thing I asked for yesterday...how strange..." It means you're not starting a full argument, you're just letting him be aware that you're not naive on what he is doing. Or if he says he doesn't have any money, say "are you sure...you bought x,y,z yesterday, thought you had money to burn the way you spend it ".

Don't do this, don't play games. There is nothing worse than having someone making stupid sarcastic remarks at you because they either can't be bothered or don't have the guts to be straight with you. Not the way to go at all, it will lead to a bigger argument and reflects badly on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georg Hegel
If he can do what he likes with his money, then you can do what you like with yours. You don't have to pay his way, and if anything, I think he is taking you for granted and is expecting you to do it.

I agree.
Original post by M202020
If he cares that much he would want to do what it takes to spend time with her. If theres anyone here that is being selfish, I would say it is him as she has always been the one spending? If there is anyone acting unfair and unreasonable, it is also him as she has stated that he is not happy when she goes out with her friends and spends her money on herself. However, he has no issues spending his money on expensive stuff and time with his friends and spends none on her. Do you know that some women like to be treated irrespective of whether or not they have millions in their account?

This thread is 5 years old but it's easily done. Don't forget to check the original post date before replying.
Reply 28
Original post by Admit-One
This thread is 5 years old but it's easily done. Don't forget to check the original post date before replying.

Hi do you have a similar thread that is current for people who may have similar question?
Original post by M202020
Hi do you have a similar thread that is current for people who may have similar question?

I don't unfortunately as this is not a sub-forum that I use much. I would recommend searching for "money" and then filtering the sub-forum you are looking in on the left hand-side here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?query=money

You are welcome to start a new thread if you can't find anything more recent that is relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending