The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to bin pennies?

Update: Just want to make clear that the amount being discussed here is 57p since August 2014-Current date. Before there are more 'herrderr save the world gief dem ure pennies' responses.:facepalm:

So, I've reached the point in my life where genuinely I can't be bothered to count or hold on to pennies. I used to just stick them all in a jar, but now I use that jar for 5ps and 10ps.

At work when we get the till ready, it's usually easier to just bin the pennies too. I know quite a few bars I've worked in also do this.

But some part of me still thinks it's kinda wrong. I thought maybe we should save them and give them to homeless people, but the homeless people legit don't want them (One guy told me to **** off when I gave him a hand-full of coppers). I know some of you guys at uni will be sickened by this and I kinda want to know what you think should be done differently, or if anyone does the same.

Maybe it's time to scrap coppers? Thoughts?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
So, I've reached the point in my life where genuinely I can't be bothered to count or hold on to pennies. I used to just stick them all in a jar, but now I use that jar for 5ps and 10ps.

At work when we get the till ready, it's usually easier to just bin the pennies too. I know quite a few bars I've worked in also do this.

But some part of me still thinks it's kinda wrong. I thought maybe we should save them and give them to homeless people, but the homeless people legit don't want them (One guy told me to **** off when I gave him a hand-full of coppers). I know some of you guys at uni will be sickened by this and I kinda want to know what you think should be done differently, or if anyone does the same.

Only thing I'd do is go to those machines in certain supermarkets and just empty the coppers in there :hmmm:
Original post by James A
Only thing I'd do is go to those machines in certain supermarkets and just empty the coppers in there :hmmm:

To be honest I really really can't be bothered. It's probably a couple quid worth for a year of faff.
To be honest I really really can't be bothered. It's probably a couple quid worth for a year of faff.

can probably buy a freddo with it
Reply 4

Lol what an absolute ****. Homeless and still turning down money cos it's "not good enough".
Original post by AdamCee
Lol what an absolute ****. Homeless and still turning down money cos it's "not good enough".

Well tbf they probably get enough dirty looks when they go in a shop anyway, let alone if they go in and pay with 100 pennies.
I always keep them with me and just make exact change wherever possible :smile:

It's easy to get rid of 9 at a time by giving, say, £1.09 to pay for £0.99 items and you just get £0.10 back in return ^_^
When I clean my room I sometimes find random pennies and bin them. Now I put them in my penny box haha I have like £2.50 :tongue:
I could not do that! Just seems so wrong to throw money away

If I have a lot of coppers I will either use them in self service checkouts or save them all, then take them to the bank when I have a significant amount
Original post by Mrs House
When I clean my room I sometimes find random pennies and bin them. Now I put them in my penny box haha I have like £2.50 :tongue:

Thank god it's not just me :lol:

This thread was legit inspired because I'm spring cleaning my flat and have binned about 50p in pennies. Kinda felt wasteful.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
I always keep them with me and just make exact change wherever possible :smile:

It's easy to get rid of 9 at a time by giving, say, £1.09 to pay for £0.99 items and you just get £0.10 back in return ^_^

Il give you that one.
Reply 11
Well tbf they probably get enough dirty looks when they go in a shop anyway, let alone if they go in and pay with 100 pennies.

Nah, often small shops are short on 1 and 2 pence pieces as they give out so many of them. They'd be doing them a favour.
turn them into a nice piece of art.
I collected pennies for ageeeessss and had a huge jar of them. When the jar was full I opened it and counted all the pennies, thinking I would have £100 or something....I had £5.

Since then I've binned them or given them to the thingy in McDonalds. :lol:
Reply 14

I kept my pennies in a counting money jar for 2 months and I now have £19 in there haha, they are still money!
or a nice piece of furniture.

That bloke looks like that tramp who refused your coppers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Either put them in charity boxes.

Or put them in a jar and just give them to the post office to cash in, lol they use their machine counters.

Although I don't really get coppers anyway
Original post by pjm600
Nah, often small shops are short on 1 and 2 pence pieces as they give out so many of them. They'd be doing them a favour.

Yeah the charity shop I work in has the problem all the time. Gives you the awkward task of saying 'I'm really sorry we don't have any change' to a customer when they've paid for 99p item with £1 :/
Why not just stick them in a charity pot? Or drop them outside an arcade? Even when you go to those coin change machines it ASKS you if you want to donate to charity. I'm sorry, but from where I'm standing you just seem too lazy to do anything about it. It's not difficult to give those pennies away to people who might actually appreciate them.
Original post by Paladian
or a nice piece of furniture.

That bloke looks like that tramp who refused your coppers.

Very tempted to report this as graphic sexual imagery :innocent:

Quick Reply

Latest