The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to make friends

xcbvfd
(edited 1 year ago)
Try out local activities ,and diffrent opportunities to meet new people. And even people that cant speak english properly struggle to find friends. College will fly past before you no it. Good luck hope this helped
Original post by amr1568
I have been in UK for about 3 years now. Its been 6 months since I have been in my new college and so far I have no proper friends. I do have people who talk to me in lesson but don't hang out with me much. My English is OK when it comes to reading and writing, but it sucks when I start speaking because of my lack of confidence. I can see people giggling when I do my presentations in class which really hurts me and I become more nervous and will start to make more mistakes. I only had a very few best friends from my secondary school and all of them chose some other subjects and I don't see them as much as I used to. I'll have to spend my breaks and lunch times on my own and it sucks for me when I see other people laughing out loud with friends in front of me. I really wanna do the same but when I start speaking to another person I make mistakes in my sentences and words and I can see that they're uncomfortable with me when this happens. Even some of my old friends are bored with me when this happens. Its really painful. I've started going to the gym thinking that it would improve my confidence a little bit and it doesn't help. I just get nervous at every little things that happens around me. Please help..

My advice is to be your best friend. I have few friends too (that are here only from Mon to Fri, so it's hard to find something to do on weekends), and yes, it sucks to be alone when everybody around you talks and laughs, but I just start reading, or find something else to do. If somebody wants to talk to me, they can, but I realized most people are not even worth it for me to stop reading. I had years in which I was basically completely alone, because I'd rather be lonely than surrounded by wrong people. I stumble when speaking in front of people too, even in my native language, and I also have pronunciation problems. Double trouble for me!:biggrin:
Dude, first of all you're fine. You have no reason to lack confidence. Don't let some bastard giggling affect your self esteem, otherwise you'll have some tough years ahead of you.

If you really want to make new friends then try to do so, I'm more of a "go with the flow" person. It'll work itself out, the pricks will laugh and piss off while the decent ones will be alright.
I've been where you are. It should get easier if you put in lots of effort.

- Read a lot - at times, read out loud! Yes it will be annoying and may distract you from the novel sometime, but you'll get used to speaking English constantly. Any words you don't understand, highlight it, look it up and listen to its pronunciation as well.

When I moved to England, the 5th Harry Potter book came out and guess what... I had to read it in English! So so painful haha, but I did it.

Once I went to uni, I wasn't fully confident about my fluency, but speaking to people about it years later, they said they never noticed. I have an accent that constantly changes, yes, but that is normal (I sounded more Canadian than British - now I sound like a Londoner apparently... meh).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending