The Student Room Group

Brighton or Sussex for MBA?

Hi all, I live and work in Brighton and am looking to do an MBA at either Brighton or Sussex (part-time).

Now on the cost front Brighton is £3K cheaper but do any of you have any experience of either doing an MBA or an MSc at either university and if so which is the better of the two?

Cheers
Paul
Reply 1
Original post by Paulwyn
Hi all, I live and work in Brighton and am looking to do an MBA at either Brighton or Sussex (part-time).

Now on the cost front Brighton is £3K cheaper but do any of you have any experience of either doing an MBA or an MSc at either university and if so which is the better of the two?

Cheers
Paul

Did you go for the MBA Paul?
Original post by kka25
Did you go for the MBA Paul?

Alas no, I am still keen on doing an masters of some description but may do it more for passion than career.

Also, when it comes to an MBA my feeling with both Brighton and Sussex, is that they gave me no reason to invest that level of money with them. if I did decide to look at taking an MBA again, it would be later in my career and probably an exec-level MBA. An MBA is just as much about the business contacts you make and never felt that i would get that from either Sussex or Brighton.

Are you in a similar position?
Reply 3
Some of my mates in the office have been discussing about getting an MBA and you're spot on this one:

Original post by Paulwyn
An MBA is just as much about the business contacts you make and never felt that i would get that from either Sussex or Brighton.

We feel it's the brand of the Faculty and the place that matters, more than the academic content itself, ironically.

Personally, I was thinking about it but it's just too expansive! I'd rather save the money to do some other forms of certifications really.
Any MBA with accreditation should be a decent course and only take students with a minimum 3 years of experience. As neither Brighton nor Sussex have accreditation it would be difficult to recommend them.

The actual academic content of an MBA will be almost identical between courses, and could be learnt by reading a handful of good textbooks. As has been pointed out the real value comes from the soft skills, discussions, reflections and networking which takes place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending