The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakepds
But at Cambridge, they only offer a BA, so surely then it is less of a needed subject?

Even maths and science are BAs at Cambridge (where FM is stated as useful preparation for economics) and Oxford.
Reply 21
If you love math, the YES!

Having the time of my life studying furthermath.

No matter what anyone says, furthermath is easy. All you have to do is put in the time and effort and you are good to go.

In terms of US uni's, the top ones want you to take a rigorous course and excel in them. If you are more for sciencey type subjects I would recommend taking the ACT + writing instead of the SAT 1. It is much more clearer in terms of what they ask in their questions. Some uni's might require that you also take SAT 2, usually in 2 subjects. But I don't recommend taking them in your AS year, as you have more than likely not covered the required materials.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you should do it, further maths is very useful, many top unis for economics look very favorably upon people with further maths A level (Someone at my school got rejected from LSE because they didn't think he had enough maths skills)
Reply 23
Original post by Davothebigafro
I think you should do it, further maths is very useful, many top unis for economics look very favorably upon people with further maths A level (Someone at my school got rejected from LSE because they didn't think he had enough maths skills)

Before today I was thinking that further maths was way more than you would ever need to know; but I think that it would be useful and an amazing thing to be able to say that you have don. The combination of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics would be great.
Reply 24
Original post by Davothebigafro

I have decided not to do it. Just do to 3 A Levels as well as I can. Or school also does the EPQ and volunteering to supplement the fourth a level, so that is what I am doing. Thanks for the help all!
Original post by jakepds
I have decided not to do it. Just do to 3 A Levels as well as I can. Or school also does the EPQ and volunteering to supplement the fourth a level, so that is what I am doing. Thanks for the help all!

Three points. Oxford and Cambridge will have no interest whatever in your volunteering activities, and many other top universities won't either, no matter what your school tells you. A relevant A level, on the other hand, will be of interest.

Many of your competitors will have the extra relevant A level.

A levels, as well as being an entry test, are preparation for university study and FM is a very useful preparation for the study of economics. Volunteering isn't.
Reply 26
Original post by Good bloke
Three points. Oxford and Cambridge will have no interest whatever in your volunteering activities, and many other top universities won't either, no matter what your school tells you. A relevant A level, on the other hand, will be of interest.

Many of your competitors will have the extra relevant A level.

A levels, as well as being an entry test, are preparation for university study and FM is a very useful preparation for the study of economics. Volunteering isn't.

My maths teacher told me today that universities can't turn people away because they don't have further maths because although there is some on the course, it isn't packed with it.
They expect that people have to catch up on the FM stuff. I think to nail 3 (I am aiming for A*A*A) would be better than going and getting AABB for example.
Further maths would be great, but I'm worried that it will dilute my other grades.
i actually regret not doing further maths
Original post by jakepds
My maths teacher told me today that universities can't turn people away because they don't have further maths

They can differentiate between candidates on whatever basis they wish and a candidate that fails to take FM in preparation for a related university subject when it was available is slightly vulnerable.

I think to nail 3 (I am aiming for A*A*A) would be better than going and getting AABB for example.

True, though if you have that little ability I wonder why you think you could be an Oxbridge candidate.
Reply 29
Original post by Good bloke
They can differentiate between candidates on whatever basis they wish and a candidate that fails to take FM in preparation for a related university subject when it was available is slightly vulnerable.

True, though if you have that little ability I wonder why you think you could be an Oxbridge candidate.

Well, for the economics course at Cambridge, which is a BA, not a BSc so will have slightly less hard maths content in. The entry requirements are A*AA, grades which I believe are within my reach if I work hard.
The AABB grades were just ones that I made up; but I think that doing 4 A Levels could potentially dilute my grades to such an extent that I wouldn't make it to a top top uni like Cambridge or Warwick, or more specifically Harvard, MIT or Princeton.
Original post by jakepds
Well, for the economics course at Cambridge, which is a BA, not a BSc so will have slightly less hard maths content in.

You didn't read my first post very carefully. All Cambridge courses are BAs, even the sciences and maths. It is obviously not an indication of the maths content and the Cambridge website makes a point of telling prospective students that FM is a useful preparation. It says:

Further Maths is not a formal requirement, but it is very useful if you have taken it at AS or A level. The Faculty does not have requirements for subjects other than Mathematics.

and

The Economics course in Cambridge assumes that you are very proficient in Mathematics.

This should tell you something of the importance of maths to the Cambridge economics degree.
Original post by morgan8002
Yes it will be very helpful, but be aware that you'll have to spend a fair amount more than 16 hours per week for a good grade.

I think 16 is plenty
If you have a talent for maths then I think you should really take as much as you can. Almost everyone in my fm class found it easy and a few of us did an AS in additional further. A good way to see if you have a knack for it is to take some senior maths challenge papers and see how quickly you can improve. Get over 100 within your first 5 papers I'd bet you'd find further maths easy.
Further maths....
Obviously it depends on what you're willing to put in, but it also depends on teachers. I found my FM teacher a bit too intelligent for his own good,
unfortunately resulting in never getting a simple/sane answer from him. I really enjoyed the actual FM itself - the algebra is great and beyond the core maths modules. You get to look at proofs (not just 'show that' but 'prove that' methods). On the whole a great subject, would help your application anyway. I found some of the M2/M3 stuff a nightmare, but I never did Physics and didn't like the applied modules as much as pure/further pure. All in all, you can do it if you are comfortable with exercising your mind with maths problems most of the time in school and out of school (all of your subjects are heavy on maths). I began dreaming about algebra because it's fairly methodical and once you get it for real, you won't forget it. So in a way you can ace the FM exams if you devote some time. Hope you make the right choice :smile:
Original post by Angelo12231
I think 16 is plenty

You haven't taken further maths and you haven't finished AS maths. How many hours do you put in? Double that for twice as many modules (bearing in mind that the further modules are generally harder).
You haven't taken further maths and you haven't finished AS maths. How many hours do you put in? Double that for twice as many modules (bearing in mind that the further modules are generally harder).

Well how many hours do you suggest?
I've seen further maths and taking it next year after I drop a subject. Its not as hard as people make it out to be.
Original post by Angelo12231
Well how many hours do you suggest?
I've seen further maths and taking it next year after I drop a subject. Its not as hard as people make it out to be.

16 hours or less would be ok at the start of the year, but this would need to be increased to at least 21-ish hours per week later on. That's around 3.5 hours per module.

You don't have sufficient evidence to support your statement, but it is correct. Further maths isn't as hard as people think. It does need some work though.

Are you taking the whole thing or just the AS?
16 hours or less would be ok at the start of the year, but this would need to be increased to at least 21-ish hours per week later on. That's around 3.5 hours per module.

You don't have sufficient evidence to support your statement, but it is correct. Further maths isn't as hard as people think. It does need some work though.

Are you taking the whole thing or just the AS?

Just the AS
Original post by jakepds
Well, for the economics course at Cambridge, which is a BA, not a BSc so will have slightly less hard maths content in. The entry requirements are A*AA, grades which I believe are within my reach if I work hard.
The AABB grades were just ones that I made up; but I think that doing 4 A Levels could potentially dilute my grades to such an extent that I wouldn't make it to a top top uni like Cambridge or Warwick, or more specifically Harvard, MIT or Princeton.

All courses at Cambridge are BAs (possibly apart from odd ones like law). You can get a BA in natural sciences from Cambridge, it doesn't mean it's light on the science.

If you seriously don't think you can take on further maths as a fourth A level without diluting your grades, I would really have to question whether the likes of Oxbridge (or Harvard, MIT etc if you're so inclined) are realistic choices.
Reply 39
Original post by BreakingRise
Get over 100 within your first 5 papers I'd bet you'd find further maths easy.

For me math/FM is like the easiest subject I have ever taken, but I will be dammed if I do well in a maths challenge.

Quick Reply

Latest