The Student Room Group

Girl serves you in a shop...acceptable to ask her for phone number?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vondas
I was sat for a couple of minutes, she finished on the phone and walked up to me. She asked how things were going. I said "I decided to stick around for a bit, everything's great, I just came back for one thing... Your phone number." my delivery was solid, good posture, good body language, cool as a cucumber. Caught her completely offguard, she seemed a little overwhelmed. "ohh... See, I'm not allowed to do that, I'd get in big trouble. And my boyfriend would KILL me! I'm sorry..." I played it off, calm and collected, I thanked her for her service and said "I had to try". At the end she said "feel free to pop in any time to say hi if you're in the area!"... No thank you. I made sure we were in a quiet area and I didn't speak very loudly. It actually wasn't bad at all, I'm happy with my performance. Does she really have a boyfriend? It's possible... My deduction is that she's not interested in me.

It wasn't a bad experience. I'm going to do this more often. She's very nice and took it quite well, I did alright :smile: mission failed, but experience gained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 41
Original post by SMEGGGY
It's fine, or just give her yours on a paper or something, if she texts/calls you're in if not you're not embarrassed by a no

DAMN IT where were you half an hour ago!!!! Hahah. I wonder if the outcome would have been different had I prepared a scrap of paper with my number written on it... Ahh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vondas
DAMN IT where were you half an hour ago!!!! Hahah. I wonder if the outcome would have been different had I prepared a scrap of paper with my number written on it... Ahh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well your experience of it wasn't that traumatic was it. At least you're getting the practice, can't hand out your number like a flyer can you to all the birds you fancy? or can you :wink:
Ah that's a bit ****... But you did it though!
Original post by Vondas
I was sat for a couple of minutes, she finished on the phone and walked up to me. She asked how things were going. I said "I decided to stick around for a bit, everything's great, I just came back for one thing... Your phone number." my delivery was solid, good posture, good body language, cool as a cucumber. Caught her completely offguard, she seemed a little overwhelmed. "ohh... See, I'm not allowed to do that, I'd get in big trouble. And my boyfriend would KILL me! I'm sorry..." I played it off, calm and collected, I thanked her for her service and said "I had to try". At the end she said "feel free to pop in any time to say hi if you're in the area!"... No thank you. I made sure we were in a quiet area and I didn't speak very loudly. It actually wasn't bad at all, I'm happy with my performance. Does she really have a boyfriend? It's possible... My deduction is that she's not interested in me.

It wasn't a bad experience. I'm going to do this more often. She's very nice and took it quite well, I did alright :smile: mission failed, but experience gained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah when I worked in retail I was asked this quite a few times and so were my co-workers. People have actually been given counselling for giving out their number to a customer, so if you ever want to approach someone who works in a shop etc. it's better to write yours on a bit of paper and give it to them, because even if they want to they're probably not gonna risk it.
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! It didn't knock your confidence, in fact it probably made you feel good right, a sigh of relief that you told her!

Good job!
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get your arse back to the shop :laugh:
Reply 47
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Get your arse back to the shop :laugh:

It's too late I'm afraid (I fled the scene haha!), a classy gentleman knows when to concede defeat :smile: I was expecting her to say yes, I'm a little surprised by her reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 49
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Exactly! It didn't knock your confidence, in fact it probably made you feel good right, a sigh of relief that you told her!

Good job!

It was actually an excellent experience, no regrets and I didn't expect myself to carry it with confidence :smile: she's very nice though, I'm glad you convinced me to get my arse back there :smile: thanks for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really admire your confidence!! She said no but at least you went for it and know where you stand. So many people look back and think they wish they asked someone out they fancied. Go you for living life to the full! It doesn't matter about giving your number on a piece of paper. If you had done that, you might still be waiting for her to call and wondering whether she likes you or not. You could still go in there and give her a piece of paper with your number on and say if you want to hang out as friends; it's up to you. Well done anyway for going for it! :smile:
Original post by Vondas
It was actually an excellent experience, no regrets and I didn't expect myself to carry it with confidence :smile: she's very nice though, I'm glad you convinced me to get my arse back there :smile: thanks for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha great! No problemo :smile:
Reply 52
...and on that bombshell, I think it's time to draw this thread to a close. Thank you all very much for replying to my thread, good night and much love. Vondas shall strike again, and as God is my witness, the next girl shall bear my fruit. I think that's enough excitement for one afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww I was excited reading your story! I still think you should go back and give her your number, be like 'in case you change your mind or need a shoulder anytime' or something like that. Sometimes it works! But glad you tried and gained experience :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by CherryWine
What kind of shop is it?

Ironically enough, it was a phone shop. She technically has my number (plus full name plus date of birth plus email plus address plus landline) on the system, so...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by FunForever
Aww I was excited reading your story! I still think you should go back and give her your number, be like 'in case you change your mind or need a shoulder anytime' or something like that. Sometimes it works! But glad you tried and gained experience :smile:

I wish I tried that. The one day I forget to stash my business cards in my pocket... Ahh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vondas
I'm gonna blame you guys if this goes bad!! Here we go...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually feeling the excitement as I read through your posts.
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Legend
Original post by Vondas
Ironically enough, it was a phone shop. She technically has my number (plus full name plus date of birth plus email plus address plus landline) on the system, so...?

Lmao!!
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha what a guy! That's so smooth!! I like your confidence, keep it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest