The Student Room Group

Any essay starter templates for A-level sociology

i'm terrible at introductions when writing essays i was wondering if there was any templates that makes writing them easier; im writing and essay right now but im struggling to actuall start it the question is "assess the view that working class children under-achieve because they are culturally deprived
Reply 1
Original post by needhelp24/7
i'm terrible at introductions when writing essays i was wondering if there was any templates that makes writing them easier; im writing and essay right now but im struggling to actuall start it the question is "assess the view that working class children under-achieve because they are culturally deprived

Hey, first of all don't panic. Introductions can be what people find the hardest! In fact I find them pretty hard sometimes!

The general structure I follow for Sociology is:

Introduction first.

Then A01- so I start my point and I explain it with the use of statistics and names, with the implementation of theories.

My next paragraph is A02- so I critique what I have just written. This will involve perhaps using a sociological theory that critiques the view I have just written, or I pick up on the flaws in the A01- e.g. in education some theories only look at external factors in causing under-achievement in working class children, like cultural capital etc. but they also need to look at how internal factors can cause underachievement like the labelling process.. A02 is really important as it can be worth quite a few marks! If you check the mark schemes you can see what A02 and A01 is looking for.

I then continue with A01- and further implement case studies and theories and names etc.

Then A02 again.

Keep this structure going, until you feel you've got a nice rounded essay. Doing it like this makes evaluation easier, as you can just evaluate your previous point.

Always use connectives on your paragraphs to increase the fluency of your essay.

Now with introductions the best thing is to start really strong and confident. For example, maybe something like this:

'It is indisputable that working class children underachieve in modern education systems, and this can be attributed to cultural deprivation. Cultural deprivation refers to..... However, we have to look at the underachievement of working class children holistically, which some sociological theories fail to do. This means that internal as well as external factors must be investigated, so that we can fully understand why working class children are marginalised within contemporary educational institutions today.

[first paragraph]- firstly, cultural deprivation can be considered...

Just be really confident and jump straight to the point. You just need a nice brief summary of what you are going to talk about.

I hope this helps! :smile: sorry it rambles on a bit! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending