The Student Room Group

How to study sociology in one year and resit 2 a levels

Got CCD in bio chem and phys
Wanna replace phys with sociology
Wanna get AAA in the end
Please tell me if its doable and how you would do it

Also would like to know if anyone can recommend me any good sociology tutors or fast track courses

Anyone done it in one year? Please give me ur experience
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Username159
Wanna get AAA in the end

Also would like to know if anyone can recommend me any good sociology tutors or fast track courses

Thanks

sociology is veryyy content heavy, and alot of essay questions. as well as knowing the information you need good essay technique to come out with anything higher than a D or C. are you planning on doing the full A level in a year or an AS? i would say that trying to learn the whole 2 year course will be difficult especially whilst balancing two others. Ive just finished my A level in sociology, and most of the content it fairly straight forward, but the amount you have to learn and know is quite ridiculous. id say go for it if you are going to have the dedication to push through it. and how id do it i really dont know because you will have to familarise yourself with the first year content before you can really understand many key terms and information carried into second year.
Original post by jellycat2004
sociology is veryyy content heavy, and alot of essay questions. as well as knowing the information you need good essay technique to come out with anything higher than a D or C. are you planning on doing the full A level in a year or an AS? i would say that trying to learn the whole 2 year course will be difficult especially whilst balancing two others. Ive just finished my A level in sociology, and most of the content it fairly straight forward, but the amount you have to learn and know is quite ridiculous. id say go for it if you are going to have the dedication to push through it. and how id do it i really dont know because you will have to familarise yourself with the first year content before you can really understand many key terms and information carried into second year.

Thanks for replying
Yes I am planning to do the whole full A level to sit next summer but I am nervous about it

I was planning to do all of my a levels alone and get a tutor
I never done essay practice since GCSES hence why I was thinking of going through textbooks and getting a tutor when I am doing exam practice

Unfortunately I didnt go to a college but a grammar sixth form so they are not willing to help me when I am studying my A levels by myself now and just take the exams from there
I dont have the money to go to a collage that does fast track a levels so honestly this is my only choice

And I have to do this in one year. I want to do medicine and I found some med school that would allow me for this case if I get A*AA

So honestly I only got one shot

Otherwise I take my foundation year for biomed offer at Sussex and apply for graduate medicine
But I had been advised otherwise
(edited 1 year ago)
I took sociology and got an A, although content heavy, a lot of the content you don’t NEED to learn by heart, a lot of it comes down to common sense, inference and good critical thinking skills. You obviously are required to know the names of theorists, the relevant quotes , and what perspective they belong to, but the bulk of your arguments can very easily be made up on the spot. For example, you get an essay on retribution vs rehabilitation, whilst you will need your relevant theorists and key quotes, the rest of your argument can be based on your own opinions, and current affairs. As long as you apply good evaluative skills, you will still gain marks. I really didn’t use the textbooks all that much asides from learning the theorists. The best method I found to revise those was to create a Mindmap with the topic in the middle e.g nationality, education, class etc, then creating branches for each theorist and what they say, I’d colour them in based on their perspective such as green for functionalism, red for Marxism, pink for feminism etc. I’d then try and learn this Mindmap off by heart until eventually I could draw the whole thing from memory. In terms of your essay structure, I used Point, theorist, explanation, evaluation (including the reverse argument and theorist) for each paragraph, at the end of your essay you would then do your conclusion.
Thanks for replying
Yes I am planning to do the whole full A level to sit next summer but I am nervous about it

I was planning to do all of my a levels alone and get a tutor
I never done essay practice since GCSES hence why I was thinking of going through textbooks and getting a tutor when I am doing exam practice

Unfortunately I didnt go to a college but a grammar sixth form so they are not willing to help me when I am studying my A levels by myself now and just take the exams from there
I dont have the money to go to a collage that does fast track a levels so honestly this is my only choice

And I have to do this in one year. I want to do medicine and I found some med school that would allow me for this case if I get A*AA

So honestly I only got one shot

Otherwise I take my foundation year for biomed offer at Sussex and apply for graduate medicine
But I had been advised otherwise

It deffo wouldnt be impossible, but there really is alot to cover, I took AQA, so it may vart from different exam boards. you could probably teach yourself a good portion of it, from youtube, i found theteachersociology and the sociology guy quite helpful as they basically have a video for everything you cover on the course. but again you need the exam technique, which is crucial to get a decent grade especially an A or A*, which you would probably benefit from an actual tutor for. however, i probably wouldnt waste money and time on getting one to teach you the content unless you are really unsure. first year topics for me were the family and education, which is alot of just common sense. i basically taught myself the whole of the second year in around 2 weeks before the exam and still came out with a B, having been told all year i wouldnt get anything higher than a D or a C if i was lucky. but again if you are dedictated to it and willing to put the time in i dont see why you couldnt do it :smile:
Oh as long as the content is easy enough to pick up then I guess it would be fine despite there is a lot to do
So yh I probably wont get a tutor

But I would for when I do exam prep.
Although I had some concerns that even if I nailed the essay technique and my tutor finds it good, could there be a chance that when its getting marked its subjective?

Like lets say one of my essays my tutor thinks is worth an A but when an Examiner marks it it could be a B or lower? if that makes sense
Or should I not really worry about it that much at all

Hey
I was researching the AQA sociology spec and I dont understand

How many topics do I have to learn in A level in total
It looks like less but Idk if there are subunits and thats the reason why the subject is content heavy
in first year i did education, the family and research methods
then second year crime and deviance, the mass media and the other second half of research methods.

each topic was around 3-4 months of lesson time doing 5 hours of sociology a week, across the two years. dosent sound like a lot but the course is very content heavy with lots to cover. if you are doing AQA i would recommend purchasing the AQA sociology book one for first year as it explains everything perfectly can get on amazon for like £20 i used it throughout the course was very beneificial for the last minute revision
so on sociology paper 1 i did education with research methods
paper 2 was the family and the mass media topic
paper 3 was crime and deviance and research methods
Oh as long as the content is easy enough to pick up then I guess it would be fine despite there is a lot to do
So yh I probably wont get a tutor

But I would for when I do exam prep.
Although I had some concerns that even if I nailed the essay technique and my tutor finds it good, could there be a chance that when its getting marked its subjective?

Like lets say one of my essays my tutor thinks is worth an A but when an Examiner marks it it could be a B or lower? if that makes sense
Or should I not really worry about it that much at all

if they are a good enough tutor, they should mark it like it would be marked within an exam. if you ask the tutor to mark it to a mark scheme like an examiner would then i dont see why there would be a massive difference. in a way exams are subjective, because there are thousands of examiners out there marking hundreds of papers, and no examiner is the same and marks in the same manner so you may be lucky of unfortunate. if you are getting a tutor id make sure they have experience in teaching sociology or have taken the subject at A level.
in first year i did education, the family and research methods
then second year crime and deviance, the mass media and the other second half of research methods.

each topic was around 3-4 months of lesson time doing 5 hours of sociology a week, across the two years. dosent sound like a lot but the course is very content heavy with lots to cover. if you are doing AQA i would recommend purchasing the AQA sociology book one for first year as it explains everything perfectly can get on amazon for like £20 i used it throughout the course was very beneificial for the last minute revision
so on sociology paper 1 i did education with research methods
paper 2 was the family and the mass media topic
paper 3 was crime and deviance and research methods

Hey again thanks for your advice

Can who is the author of the book? There is a lot of sociology textbooks I saw and I got the Rob Webb one but I think I made a mistake
I achieved an A* in this year’s summer exams in Sociology. Sociology is quite a content heavy subject. Create a revision timetable to balance your time between each subject. Revise through making flashcards, mind maps, essay plans and practicing answering questions in timed conditions. Wishing you all the best and good luck!
Hey again thanks for your advice

Can who is the author of the book? There is a lot of sociology textbooks I saw and I got the Rob Webb one but I think I made a mistake

thats the right one
Sociology is a subject for stupid people.
Original post by Throwaway2195
Sociology is a subject for stupid people.

No, it’s not. Only incompetent people who have no understanding or awareness of the importance of sociology in maintaining the function of society write comments such as yours. Hope you have a good day!
Wanna get AAA in the end

Thanks

Heya!
To begin with, I would recommend creating a study timetable and dedicating a specific amount of hours and days to your revision. Do you use flashcards, spider diagrams etc? If not then do use them, they are very helpful! Make sure to do plenty of past papers as well, better if you go from topic to topic and then have yourself do mocks by year (includes all topics) that way you'll be able to understand the material better.

For chem and bio, do past papers by topic. Start with the first one or your weakest one. I would recommend checking out Study Mind free resources (past papers by topic, free revision resources etc). We don't offer free resources for sociology sadly but we do have a-level sociology tutoring if you are interested, here is a link (that is if you are looking for one of course!). There is a lot to cover for sociology in one year so you might need that extra help!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by siyonajoshi
thats the right one

Oh ok thanks so much
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
To begin with, I would recommend creating a study timetable and dedicating a specific amount of hours and days to your revision. Do you use flashcards, spider diagrams etc? If not then do use them, they are very helpful! Make sure to do plenty of past papers as well, better if you go from topic to topic and then have yourself do mocks by year (includes all topics) that way you'll be able to understand the material better.

For chem and bio, do past papers by topic. Start with the first one or your weakest one. I would recommend checking out Study Mind free resources (past papers by topic, free revision resources etc). We don't offer free resources for sociology sadly but we do have a-level sociology tutoring if you are interested, here is a link (that is if you are looking for one of course!). There is a lot to cover for sociology in one year so you might need that extra help!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thanks so much yes I am looking for a tutor and I will look into this
Original post by redcandy
I achieved an A* in this year’s summer exams in Sociology. Sociology is quite a content heavy subject. Create a revision timetable to balance your time between each subject. Revise through making flashcards, mind maps, essay plans and practicing answering questions in timed conditions. Wishing you all the best and good luck!

Thank you! and well done !!!! May I ask how you make you notes using the specification? Or make notes in general. I plan to make notes first then flashcards mind maps and essay plans and questions after

Im going through my textbook for year 1and I covered nearly half of it although I do see it is content heavy (but thats ok I expected it)
But I think I know I dont really need everything in the textbook but its just laying out my notes close to the specification as possible as I usually do with biology and chemistry. Is there another way tho? Or should I not be doing this. Any advice is helpful thanks very much
- Im using the robb webb orange book at the moment and going to use tutor 2 u videos as well.
(edited 1 year ago)
For flashcards, I got these mini flashcards from Amazon. I have linked them down below. They helped me really only write down key information.

One side of the flashcards would have key theorists or perspectives related to the topic. I would also write key definitions. Then I would have another card with evaluations. Also, they have a key ring so I attached them to my keys so whenever I was out, I could go over them when I had a chance. I would then consolidate my knowledge by answering practice questions and making mind maps.

Everyone makes flashcards and notes differently so do what works best for you. Good luck!

Koogel Flash Cards, 6 Pack 300 Revision Cards Index Cards Mini Notepads Blank Flashcards Study Cards on Ring https://amzn.eu/d/5g82I0Q
8451CE7C-9BCD-4BA4-AFFF-AB814AA01962.jpg.jpeg
Original post by redcandy
For flashcards, I got these mini flashcards from Amazon. I have linked them down below. They helped me really only write down key information.

One side of the flashcards would have key theorists or perspectives related to the topic. I would also write key definitions. Then I would have another card with evaluations. Also, they have a key ring so I attached them to my keys so whenever I was out, I could go over them when I had a chance. I would then consolidate my knowledge by answering practice questions and making mind maps.

Everyone makes flashcards and notes differently so do what works best for you. Good luck!

Koogel Flash Cards, 6 Pack 300 Revision Cards Index Cards Mini Notepads Blank Flashcards Study Cards on Ring https://amzn.eu/d/5g82I0Q
8451CE7C-9BCD-4BA4-AFFF-AB814AA01962.jpg.jpeg

thanks so much :smile: I have been doing this now for a while and its working yay!!
I have another question sorry
I was looking at past paper questions and I saw there is kinda limited questions that I have of past papers for the new spec
I couldnt be able to find any old spec questions unless I dont know a website that does

Do you know where there is like a question bank for each topic (it can be old spec or new spec) i could find? Or any websites that have questions as I want to practice doing essays asap :smile: Im also using my Rob Webb textbook as well for the questions
Many thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest