The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Networking and Job Searching at UCL

Hi all!

I'm considering accepting an offer to study Economics, Business and Eastern European Studies at UCL. However, I've got a couple questions on my mind before I make my mind up for sure.

1. What is it like networking with potential employers at UCL? One of the big things I'm concerned about is that I will become "lost" in the big city at a big school and will not have any good opportunities to build rapport with employers or develop relationships with alumni who might be able to land me a job after graduation. For reference, I also have an offer from St Andrews, and they seem to have an extensive network of alumni who would be able to provide opportunities for careers.

3. Similar question as above, but what is the reputation of UCL among employers? Do they recruit very heavily from UCL? I'm clearly most interested in economics and business but any information you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

4. Is it difficult to land summer internships? What caliber of companies should I expect to intern for as an Economics student?
Reply 1
Original post by elencus
Hi all!

I'm considering accepting an offer to study Economics, Business and Eastern European Studies at UCL. However, I've got a couple questions on my mind before I make my mind up for sure.

1. What is it like networking with potential employers at UCL? One of the big things I'm concerned about is that I will become "lost" in the big city at a big school and will not have any good opportunities to build rapport with employers or develop relationships with alumni who might be able to land me a job after graduation. For reference, I also have an offer from St Andrews, and they seem to have an extensive network of alumni who would be able to provide opportunities for careers.

3. Similar question as above, but what is the reputation of UCL among employers? Do they recruit very heavily from UCL? I'm clearly most interested in economics and business but any information you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

4. Is it difficult to land summer internships? What caliber of companies should I expect to intern for as an Economics student?

1. There's quite a lot of networking opportunities, like dinners with various companies or visits to their offices. Also guest speakers come and talk about potential careers.
3. Yeah, UCL is liked by employers
4. Depends on what you'd like to do. Most want banking / consultancy / insurance. I'm sure if you've got other interests though a lot of companies will take you. Economics is a respected course
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending